What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

JenniferG

Mediterranean Pork Stuffed Roasted Egg Plant

Adapted from Michael Mosley's book 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet.

Preheat oven to 425F. Slice eggplant lengthwise in half. Sit in roasting pan skin side down. Sprinkle with salt and drizzle with 1/2 tablespoon of Olive Oil each. Roast for 20 mins.

While it's roasting, dice up one medium onion and fry in 1 tbsp of olive oil along with 1/2 tsp of cumin, 1/2 tsp of paprika and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon. Add 1/2 pound of ground pork and brown, caramelzing onions a bit in the process. Add in 1 heaping tbsp of pistachio nuts and 1 tbsp of flax seed. Along with 1 tbsp of tomato puree/paste. Add a tiny bit of water and cook for another minute or two. Salt to taste.

AFter 20 mins of roasting, pull the eggplants out and mash down the center of them, with the bottom of a spoon, forming a shallow cup. Then scoop in the pork mixture to each half and bake another 10 minutes.

Thinly slice some chives or scallions and garnish.

Absolutley heavenly.. first time I've ever eaten a stuffed eggplant! :) Each bite was divine.. a great mix of flvaors and textures.

Really loving Mediterranean cuisine, and going to make much more of it (Made broiled/grilled portabella stuffed with feta and pistachio the other day.)

Reactions: 2 people

marie1372

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Share what you've eaten today with the rest of the DCUK community and maybe steal a few ideas for yourself!

Please remember that this is the 'Low Carb Diet Forum' and that this thread isn't for low carb debates :)
what is the best food to eat to help me get my sugar levels down been diabetic since 2002 but have only been told some information recently so i don't know much about the carbs

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@marie1372 Hello, I hope you get the advice you're looking for on your other thread. You will need a meter to test your blood sugar to find out what you can eat and what you shouldn't. Here's my menu for today, all good for me after much trial and error ...
B Livlife toasted cheese sandwich with 2 fried eggs, tomato and mushrooms
L Leftover fish pie with celeriac topping (adapted from this http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/fish-pie/)
D Chicken wrapped in bacon, steamed veg, cream cheese sauce

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Marie - test everything you eat. Ditch the carbs and moderate proteins. Enjoy fats like bacon and eggs, avocados, cheese and meats. I aim for 30g carbs a day and that's from veg and some fruit.

Having said that I've totally blown the regime last couple of days but will get back into ketosis ASAP.

Fasting for 24 hrs has really helped me lower bg and lose loads of weight. People are noticing now and I'm feeling a lot better in myself. X

----------
Borderline T2, serial yo-yo dieter but firmly sticking to LCHF with IF

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Fasted

D salmon, avacado salad.

Was full after just having a quarter of it. Shocking how much little I need now to be full up. Eyes are still too big for my stomach....

----------
Is it avocado salad or avocado and salad. If it's an avocado salad mind sharing the ingredients ?

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it avocado salad or avocado and salad. If it's an avocado salad mind sharing the ingredients ?

It was basically avocado with lettuce and sprayed with basil infused olive oil. It was really good x

----------

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A weird day today.

Knew that lunch wouldn't be possible. But I would need good focus and brain power.
So:

B @ 8am: huge cooked breakfast in Morrisons cafe. Very disappointed in the sausage quality. Left all but one mouthful. Rest was OK
L: none
D @ 7pm: huge salad and boiled eggs, 1 onion bhaji and grated cheese, followed by cherries, dark choc and double cream. Kind of an uncontrolled feeding frenzy.

It all went very well up until about 6 pm when I ran out of fuel, concentration, patience and dipped too low. Not a hypo, more a gentle dip with DIY recovery. But not something to do regularly. Luckily I won't have to! lol

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope you're ok Brunneria xxxx

----------

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I know a fantastic salad made of:

kale
cherry toms
avocado
olive oil
lemon juice
sea salt

The kale was treated in a way that made it lose that bitterness. Found it during my RAW flirtation.

Basically, massage the chopped kale with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Get it soft, but not bruised, remove any sharp hard stems.
mash the avocado until v smooth, with a little lemon juice. I suppose you could cheat with bought guacamole.
spread the avo into kale until evenly spread over the leaves. It is a bit like stirring mayo in.
Serve with ripe, intense cherry or baby plum tomatoes sprinkled over the top.

Visually stunning, and delicious.

I just had a google, but could only find this, which is similar, but polluted with onions, and has the avo chopped, so not as good
http://www.yogitrition.com/kale-and-avocado-salad/

Last edited by a moderator:

Mandy Hexter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
B- egg bacon mushrooms and courgette

L- almonds 50g dark 85% chocolate

D- homemade beef burger topped with a slice of feta served with stir fried courgette onion red pepper dressed with avocado whizzed up with coconut milk chilli lemon juice

26 lengths in the pool

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
B: scrambled egg
L: half Lidl roll with avocado, marmite and salsa
D: chicken leg, salad

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasted all day. Coffee and water.

D scrambled eggs and bacon which was cooked to perfection

Square dark (but not dark enough choc)

What I really wanted was a rotisserie chicken from asda but got there at 5pm to discover they'd gone. Then drive to Sainsburys hoping they'd have some.....nada. Stropped all the way home

D

debrasue

B sausage and scrambled egg
L strawberries and cream
D chicken thighs, asparagus, peas, garlic mushrooms, 2 new potatoes in butter
BG 2 hours after dinner 6.4

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday.......

B: 1/3 of a Lidl protein roll with pip and nut almond/coconut spread and diabetic jam

L: about 20grams M & S bombay mix, 20 grams cashew nuts, 10 grams salt and vinegar peanuts

D: Minute steak with mushrooms, creamy peppercorn sauce, one box of Mccain microchips, loads of vinegar

Snacks...............unfortunately had 3 or 4 cadbury's heroes after my steak, pushed me up to 9.0, then 3 or 4 more at midnight, gave me another peak of 9.0 at 4am (as shown by my freestyle libre)

Also snacks throughout day............corned beef, cheese, a few Werther's no sugar sweets, cream in coffee, milk in tea.

Not my best day (but not my worst either). Have had my latest libre sensor on for 6 days, showing average of 7.2 (have used 3 previous sensors, with average of about 6.6, so slipping a bit, but determined to stay under 50 grams carbs today).

JenniferG

Rainbow Trout pan fried in olive oil -- along with butter and lemon juice at the end. Side salad comprised of: spinach, watercress, scallion, yellow tomato, blue cheese, kalamata olive, olive oil, vinegar, flax seed, chia seed & salt & pepper.

Reactions: 2 people
D

debrasue

B: Coffee & cream
L: Bacon sandwich with 2 slices of Genius gluten-free bread. (Yuk. Waste of good bacon. It might be OK as toast with low-sugar marmelade if you're totally craving bread, but it's horrible with anything savoury.)
D: Seafood salad - salmon, smoked mackerel and prawns, romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, celery and cucumber with a homemade French dressing.
Let's see if zero complex carbs after 1pm makes any difference to my FBG tomorrow.....

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: forgot
L: cinnamon crunch
D: bratwurst, caulicheese and sugarsnaps

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
B: scrambled egg and sausage
L/D (mid afternoon so prob won't bother with anything else): chicken and avocado salad