What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: none
L: broth
S: low carb choc brownie - last one! :nailbiting:
D: 'Banting Toad in the Hole', broccoli and green beans. I am not going to post a link with the recipe, because it was AWFUL. Neither Mr B nor I actually ate more than a third of our 'hole' portions. The sausages (Black Farmer) were good, but honestly, that batter was dire. The recipe used a combo of coconut and almond flour, but all we could taste was the coconut. And it was thick and stodgy like a heavy cake. What a waste of good ingredients. And there are leftovers today. O Joy. I think I will probably pick the sausages out and eat them alone!

I would LOVE to find a decent LC batter recipe for Toad in the Hole, but am obviously still searching...

I bought some super sausages last night and really fancy toad in the hole ... did you make the recipe that includes 'protein powder'. I've got a yearning for batter so was researching today. Was about to spend silly amount of money on Almond flour when I stopped and wondered if it's worth it.

Surely there must be a good batter recipe somewhere?? Wonder if @debrasue knows one? I really want toad in the hole!

Reactions: debrasue

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The recipe I followed was egg, milk (i used water), coconut and almond flours and a few twiddles as seasonings. The coconut dominated and ruined the whole thing. But i have noticed that about coconut flour in other recipes, too.

D

debrasue

I bought some super sausages last night and really fancy toad in the hole ... did you make the recipe that includes 'protein powder'. I've got a yearning for batter so was researching today. Was about to spend silly amount of money on Almond flour when I stopped and wondered if it's worth it.

Surely there must be a good batter recipe somewhere?? Wonder if @debrasue knows one? I really want toad in the hole!

Well, I haven't tried this one yet, but I did find the following recipe for pancakes, which is pretty much the same as batter...

2 eggs
2tbsp coconut oil or butter, melted
2 tbsp coconut milk
Pinch tsp salt
2 tbsp sifted coconut flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
Blend together eggs, oil, coconut milk and salt. Combine coconut flour and baking powder and thoroughly mix into batter. The almond flour might have made @Brunneria's recipe 'cakey', but of course with this recipe you may still get the coconut taste...

Alternatively, I use the following recipe for pancakes, but I'm not sure how it would work as a Toad in the Hole. Maybe you could just try dipping the sausages in it and frying them like a tempura...? Or make pancakes and roll the sausages in them. Or perhaps add a little protein powder to the mix to give it a bit more 'substance'...

3 large eggs
3 tbsp cream cheese (e.g. Philadelphia)
1/4 tsp baking powder
salt

Another alternative would be to ask @ewelina what she recommends - she's the guru, after all!

Good luck - let us know how you get on! :)

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The recipe I followed was egg, milk (i used water), coconut and almond flours and a few twiddles as seasonings. The coconut dominated and ruined the whole thing. But i have noticed that about coconut flour in other recipes, too.

Ok. The one I was thinking of uses coconut milk, Almond flour and tapioca starch. Tempted to give it a try - if I can source the ingredient without breaking the bank ...

http://christinebailey.co.uk/recipe/paleo-toad-in-the-hole/

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: none
L: none
D: pork steaks slow cooked with aubergine, peppers and white wine. Green salad. Ended up putting grated cheese on top too.

Reactions: Chook and mo53

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well, I haven't tried this one yet, but I did find the following recipe for pancakes, which is pretty much the same as batter...

2 eggs
2tbsp coconut oil or butter, melted
2 tbsp coconut milk
Pinch tsp salt
2 tbsp sifted coconut flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
Blend together eggs, oil, coconut milk and salt. Combine coconut flour and baking powder and thoroughly mix into batter. The almond flour might have made @Brunneria's recipe 'cakey', but of course with this recipe you may still get the coconut taste...

Alternatively, I use the following recipe for pancakes, but I'm not sure how it would work as a Toad in the Hole. Maybe you could just try dipping the sausages in it and frying them like a tempura...? Or make pancakes and roll the sausages in them. Or perhaps add a little protein powder to the mix to give it a bit more 'substance'...

3 large eggs
3 tbsp cream cheese (e.g. Philadelphia)
1/4 tsp baking powder
salt

Another alternative would be to ask @ewelina what she recommends - she's the guru, after all!

Good luck - let us know how you get on! :)
Ive never tried toad in the hole in low carb version. Definitely something I need to look into :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok. The one I was thinking of uses coconut milk, Almond flour and tapioca starch. Tempted to give it a try - if I can source the ingredient without breaking the bank ...

http://christinebailey.co.uk/recipe/paleo-toad-in-the-hole/

That looks more promising than the one i did.
I would need to get protein powder though. The only stuff i have is egg powder with vanilla (can't use the soya or the whey). The pea might be worth trying though...

Let us know when you've cracked it @ewelina :)

D

debrasue

B: Nothing - no appetite
L: Nothing - no appetite
D: Homemade (full carb*) steak & kidney pie (suet pastry topping), runner beans with butter

(* Haven't tested BGs yet, but as it was pretty much the first thing I've really fancied eating all week, I'm not going to beat myself up about it.)

UPDATE: BG +2.5 hrs pp was 7.5 - I was expecting worse. And that's with prednisolone on board, too. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DeejayR

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
B: usual supplements and protein drink
L: cheese sandwich on spelt bread
D: homemade beef burgers & salad

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I will do my best. Would be great if it worked. Would mean low carb Yorkshire pudding too!

Reactions: mo53

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello
B. Crop's frozen red berry mix with Greek yoghurt

L. Sea bass with green vegetable selection

D. At Indian restaurant 1 Popadam (I can't resist 1) , sheek kebab then chicken tikka with green salad.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
FBG 5.4!! Woohoo

B: Half a grapefruit
L: Black coffee
D: One sixth recipe of Moussaka (known as mouse-poo in this house), celeriac chips and side salad
No calories left for supper :(

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
25 grams of brazilnuts 60 grams of 20 gram proteinbar
1,5 liter pure water

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good morning for breakfast porridge and a few grapes cut up

midday snack wholemeal bread and tuna in spring water and cucumber

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Best ground beef, spelt crumbs and egg for binding with a tiny pinch of salt:)

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello
B. Red berry mix with Greek style yoghurt

L. Salmon fillet in Piri Piri marinade with Mediterranean vegetables

D. Slice ham with Brittany cheese followed by 6 strawberries with Greek yoghurt :)

Reactions: DeejayR and Chook

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Just had my dinner Broccloi ,caukiflower,some plum tomatoes and for the first time Hecks Italia chicken sausages ,best I have ever tasted,I had 3 of them:)

Reactions: Chook and mo53