What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hi, @Chook
I'm interested in this low-carb Chrstmas cake - do you have a recipe?

Hi :)

I got the basic recipe from @hornplayer 's post no. 15 on this thread: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/help-re-christmas-please.112304/

But I added a rounded tablespoon of baking powder and soaked the fruit in brandy overnight. I did also add in quite a lot of 'stuff' - walnut halves, dried cherries, dried blueberries, dried strawberries - anything I could find in my cupboards really. I made a double batch of the basic mixture and I really can't fault it - I've had visitors who had no idea they were eating low carb cake and Mr C has said he prefers it to the normal 'Delia' christmas cake I've made for the last 20 years....

Reactions: lisajo2016

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Today, getting in training for re-starting the 800 calorie blood sugar diet (again!) I'll probably start properly on the 31st or 2nd because I don't want it to be a New Year's resolution (I've got a poor history with New Year's resolutions).

Breakfast: Nothing
Lunch: Nothing
Dinner: More cold chicken, cold ham, leftover bubble & squeak from yesterday warmed up or salad. Pickles

Snack: Brazil nuts

Reactions: mo53

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello
B. Red berries with yoghurt

L. Bits of ham with houmous and a bit of cheese

D. Sea bass fillets with spinach. Strawberries with Greek yoghurt.

S. A pot of pomegranate

Reactions: Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hello
B. Red berries with yoghurt

L. Bits of ham with houmous and a bit of cheese

D. Sea bass fillets with spinach. Strawberries with Greek yoghurt.

S. A pot of pomegranate

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
They always sound yymmy - where do you get your pomegranate pots?

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Chook I buy the pomegranate pots in either morrisons or M&S.
They are 100g pots which gives 50 calories and 11g of carbs. They help me keep away from more naughty foodstuffs.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B. Slice Tesco high protein bread with pate. Less sugar latte
L. Lidl chicken breast with maple , florette sweet and crunchy salad, small avocado and 3 walnuts.
D. Gammon steak with slice of pineapple, creamed spinach, portobello mushroom
Snack less sugar latte and 2 Lotus biscuits.
Physio was agony today but at least I have movement back in my left leg again. Hate getting the fluid worked out of my leg but feel so much better afterwards.

Reactions: Prem51

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
L: Cold meat and winter salad
D: Sausage hot pot some lentils carrot, snips shallot leek and sliced celeriac and a glass of red wine - in the dinner not me
S: A piece of chocolate

Reactions: Chook

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: steak and eggs on potato hash (Mr B's Day Off Treat)
L: none
S: too many Lindt Lindor Special Edition, thanks best mate for giving me chocs for Xmas that I shouldn't be eating! :D
D: broccoli mashed with cream cheese and smoked salmon, then berries and cream.

foxy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had 2 poached eggs on 1 small slice of toast for breakfast, 80g of baked bacon with another small piece of bread for lunch and a large salad with 80g of ham for my evening meal.
This amounted to calories 1,194 carbohydrates 86 saturated fat 25 protein 58 sodium 2,306

I know my carbs are a lot higher than most of you would have and I am trying to get them lower which I hope I will be able to do in the near future but the trouble is I do find it difficult not to have any bread!

Reactions: Prem51 and geefull

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Chook I buy the pomegranate pots in either morrisons or M&S.
They are 100g pots which gives 50 calories and 11g of carbs. They help me keep away from more naughty foodstuffs.

I really love the sound of them so I've just ordered some 80g pots from Asda to be delivered tomorrow (not on their own - with the rest of my order) :)

D

debrasue

Hi :)

I got the basic recipe from @hornplayer 's post no. 15 on this thread: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/help-re-christmas-please.112304/

But I added a rounded tablespoon of baking powder and soaked the fruit in brandy overnight. I did also add in quite a lot of 'stuff' - walnut halves, dried cherries, dried blueberries, dried strawberries - anything I could find in my cupboards really. I made a double batch of the basic mixture and I really can't fault it - I've had visitors who had no idea they were eating low carb cake and Mr C has said he prefers it to the normal 'Delia' christmas cake I've made for the last 20 years....
Thanks, Chook!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
So far today breakfast a poached egg on a slice of toasted burgen bread.
Lunch two mini onion bhaji'

No idea what we will have for dinner.

Probably a small battered cod I'm not strong enough to batter a big one.

Reactions: geefull

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm having a bit of an experiment today for lunch.

I had a portion of battered fish with 250 GM of mixed veg. This is something I would have eaten before diagnosis and haven't had since then.

Now my BG is reasonably stable, I want to see how some of my previous foods affects my levels.

My pre meal reading was 5.3.

The meal contained 25 g of carbs and 333 calories. The fish was oven cooked.

Now I just have to wait a couple of hours to see how much my BG reading has been affected. I really hope it doesn't go up by too much, as I used to really like a bit of battered fish.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I find a small piece of battered cod does not affect me overmuch it's the chips that cause the problems. so now I just have the fish on it's own or some times with a small portion of mushy peas and I mean very small portion because mushy peas can have 13 grams of carbs per 100 grams.

Trouble is there's a Harry Ramsden's down the road and I have a forces discount card.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Chook let me know what you think of them:)
They (Asda) substituted them with whole pomegranates :( I've kept them and will bang out the seeds. It was the only sub today that made any sense, some of the others were a bit strange.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Today:

Breakfast and lunch: Nothing except for lots of black coffee and a Brazil nut that slipped in to my mouth accidentally

Dinner: Fathead pizza with mushrooms and olives and homemade coleslaw.

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I find a small piece of battered cod does not affect me overmuch it's the chips that cause the problems. so now I just have the fish on it's own or some times with a small portion of mushy peas and I mean very small portion because mushy peas can have 13 grams of carbs per 100 grams.

Trouble is there's a Harry Ramsden's down the road and I have a forces discount card.
The fish I used was the sort you get in a box of 4 battered fillets from the supermarket. They are quite small.

I've not tried chips yet, but I might at sometime. I have one if those oil free fryers so I don't have to add oil.

Just not sure how much of a spike I would get from the potatoes.

Reactions: Chook and mo53

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The fish I used was the sort you get in a box of 4 battered fillets from the supermarket. They are quite small.

I've not tried chips yet, but I might at sometime. I have one if those oil free fryers so I don't have to add oil.

Just not sure how much of a spike I would get from the potatoes.
You could try chipping celeriac?

Reactions: maglil55