What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Chook that recipe looks good. Thank you:)
It was surprisingly good -and very filling - half is in the freezer for another day. It didn't really have the same texture as pastry - more like crumbly shortbread and the weird topping was very nice. Any filling would be nice but ours was a good way of using up the turkey leg meat, stuffing balls and pigs in blankets.

I did think that the pastry with a bit of sweetener / flavouring would make nice shortbread biscuits.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Today - first day of 800 cal Blood Sugar Diet

Breakfast and lunch: Nothing
Dinner: Crack Slaw - red cabbage, lamb mince and blue cheese (gorgonzola)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today - first day of 800 cal Blood Sugar Diet

Breakfast and lunch: Nothing
Dinner: Crack Slaw - red cabbage, lamb mince and blue cheese (gorgonzola)

I think that is the first time I have EVER drooled at the thought of 800 cals/day. :D

I obviously need more crackslaw. Withdrawal is setting in...

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think that is the first time I have EVER drooled at the thought of 800 cals/day. :D

I obviously need more crackslaw. Withdrawal is setting in...

I think its the first time I've had it made with red cabbage - although I've been planning it every since I read your post about it some time back. If I'm to get back on track properly I have to have really interesting and tasty evening meals - so any really yummy suggestions for low carb recipes that are about 600-700 calories will be very welcome.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ooohh - forgot to say that along with the restriction to 800 cals I'm also keeping to less than 20g of carbs per day.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello
B. Red berries and yoghurt

L. Slice of ham

40 minutes swimming

D. Sea bass with asparagus tips. Strawberries with double cream

Reactions: Chook

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B. 3 Heck Chicken Sausages, portobello mushroom, scrambled egg and a tablespoon of cream.
Black Tea
L. 3 walnuts and a less sugar latte
D. My souffle omelette- fried off 1/2 chopped red pepper , 50g sliced chestnut mushrooms, 4 slices chopped smoked bacon , 4 halved cherry tomatoes, handful of frozen peas , salt and pepper and 3 eggs. Separate the eggs and beat the whites to stiff peaks. Beat the yolk separately. I also added a tablespoon of double cream and some chopped parsley. Fry everything else in a pan. Fold the yolk/cream / parsley into the stiff egg whites and tip into the pan. Give is a moment or two to set on the bottom then pop under a hot grill until it is browned and well risen. Serves 2
I had this with aubergine chips. Cut half an aubergine into chips, tossed them in a little sesame oil then dusted in a mix of salt, pepper, paprika and almond flour. Pop in a hot oven - how long depends on how thick the chips are. Mine took about 15 mins.
#Chook - this is a lot of eating for 450 calories and 8g carbs. Very tasty too - hubby enjoys with normal chips. More than sufficient scope to add some grated cheese to the mix.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: none
L: leftover Jalfrezi from last night. :)
S: lc hot choc
D: Heck sausages, green beans, asparagus, 1 tablespoon of mixed root mash, blob of mayo.

Hungry all day! Will ease back down to proper Intermittent Fasting in the next few days.

Reactions: Ems78 and mo53

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Yesterday:

B: coffee with cream, coconut fat bomb

L: chicken satay with a tiny serving of brown rice & veg fried in coconut oil (negligible effect on BS - hooray! - and it was very tasty)

D: steak with parsley butter, steamed veg, mushrooms and tomato.

Fasting blood sugar was 7.1 yesterday morning following a phenomenally bad night's sleep, but by bedtime it was a very respectable 5.4.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today:

Same as yesterday.... :p
Chook I know you have Michael Moseley's book (obviously!) and noticed you had lamb mince yesterday. Don't know if you have tried his recipe with the aubergine and lamb mince from the book but it is really tasty. Must admit it is another recipe I have slight variations on. I have done it using lamb leg steak chopped up, same spices but added feta cheese, pine nuts and pomegranate to the mix. I love it but I am a big fan of aubergine.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Chook I know you have Michael Moseley's book (obviously!) and noticed you had lamb mince yesterday. Don't know if you have tried his recipe with the aubergine and lamb mince from the book but it is really tasty. Must admit it is another recipe I have slight variations on. I have done it using lamb leg steak chopped up, same spices but added feta cheese, pine nuts and pomegranate to the mix. I love it but I am a big fan of aubergine.

Thanks for the recommendation - I love aubergine, too. I've got both MM's book and his wife's recipe book so I'm planning my meals for the week or two using her recipes. (Mr C didn't look too impressed when I told him) I'll have a search through both books for your lamb recipe. I'm just re-reading his book (to try to motivate myself). ;) I got his wife's recipe book for Christmas and there are some really lovely recipes in there - a couple in particular sound both easy and gorgeous - one is a sort of Crack Slaw made with peppered mackerel and the other is baked aubergine which you chargrill with spices and garlic then peel and mash. I think that would go well with lamb.

I just realised I haven't had my favourite lamb dish for ages - its grilled lamb steaks with crumbled feta and pomegranate seeds with roasted garlicy aubergine cubes..... drool.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
So far....
B: Coffee with cream after cheese cubes on waking to block liver.
S: Mixed nuts
L: Egg mayo and carrot cake slice (no cream) with double cream.

D: Veg based but unsure what yet. :)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B. Poached egg with 3 bits of grilled streaky bacon and 3 cherry tomatoes. Black Tea.
L. Slice Tesco's High Protein Farmhouse (back in stock today - yay!) 1/2 small tin of reduced sugar baked beans. Less sugar latte.
D. Hubby has made an enormous pot of broth packed with every vegetable known to mankind by the looks of it. I doubt I will eat anything else after a plate of that! He made his stock with boiling beef and as well as broth mix he packed it with, sprouts , leeks , celery , onions , grated carrots , cauliflower, tenderstem broccoli , marrow fat peas, mixed shredded greens - spoon is almost standing upright of its own accord!

Reactions: Tabbyjoolz

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B. Poached egg with 3 bits of grilled streaky bacon and 3 cherry tomatoes. Black Tea.
L. Slice Tesco's High Protein Farmhouse (back in stock today - yay!) 1/2 small tin of reduced sugar baked beans. Less sugar latte.
D. Hubby has made an enormous pot of broth packed with every vegetable known to mankind by the looks of it. I doubt I will eat anything else after a plate of that! He made his stock with boiling beef and as well as broth mix he packed it with, sprouts , leeks , celery , onions , grated carrots , cauliflower, tenderstem broccoli , marrow fat peas, mixed shredded greens - spoon is almost standing upright of its own accord!
......and 1/2 a swede

Reactions: mo53

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello
B. Red berries with cream

L. Ham and Stilton

50 minutes swimming

D. Smoked haddock with asparagus. Strawberries and cream

S. I was hungry so I made a salad which included pomegranate and root ginger which I had with balsamic dressing.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: none
L: 3 slices Jarlsberg
S: 3 Thortons chocolates (too sickly!)
D: baked salmon, green salad, berries, cream, kind nut bar.

Still hungry!!! But easing back :D

Last edited: