What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Out to dinner at a brilliant eaterie in a big hut on a caravan site(!)
I award myself points for:
1) Checking menu beforehand & finding they could do variations
2) Ordering salad instead of chips with steak
3) Brushing aside the sticky pudding options and persuading them to do strawberries & cream since they had no cheese plate
4) Drinking fizzy water

I deduct points for:
1) Forgetting to ask them to hold the dressing on the salad
2) Eating 4 grapes found unexpectedly in salad
3) Eating 4 battered onion rings
4) Going to friends for black coffee afterwards and forgetting to test at home

Resolved to do better next time. **** nice fillet steak though.
If we go out I try and remember to knock up a bit of dressing to take along: 1 tbsp fish sauce, 1 tbsp lemon juice, fresh chopped red chilli. Pop it in a little container.

Reactions: 12 people

Christinerm

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: blackberries & ground nuts in double cream
L : Almond cheese scone, brussels pate and 2 boiled eggs
D: Smoked salmon, tomato & a tiny beetroot, berries & cream

Reactions: 8 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Sausage and egg
L: a gargantuan mixed grill. Heavenly chips. Gammon, egg, pork chop, lamb chop, steak, disappointing sausage, mushrooms, tomato and onion. Ate all the chips - figured they'd be buried under the protein - and they were. 6.4 for hours. No rise, no drop. Felt great.
S: (no dinner) 5g carbs of cracker with goats cheese

Reactions: 10 people

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Greek yogurt with berries, nuts and seeds
L: Chicken salad
D: Large sirloin steak with savoy cabbage sauteed with butter and onion
Pud: Cheesecake topping, 3 strawberries

Nice end to a Monday :joyful:

Reactions: 6 people

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm under a lot of stress at the moment - my mum is in hospital with MRSA and my brother (who is autistic and lives with her) is struggling with the change in routine. Their house is a half hour walk away from mine so I'm spending a lot of time walking there and back, which is playing havoc with my BG. I was feeling especially low when I got back this afternoon so I thought sod it - let's have an almighty great fry up :) So I fried some bacon, sausages and onions, made some scramblers and added some sliced mushrooms and chopped tomatoes - it was just what I needed
Bummer. Hope your mother is getting good care. Your brother will need as much stability and familiarity as possible but depends of course just how far up the autistic spectrum he is, you will know. Don't neglect yourself.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A day of days
good morning: 4.5
Brekky: Bang tidy giant bacon and mushroom omlet
apre brekky: 4.6

high noon:4.4
Lunch: salad with italian meats
apre lunch: 4.5

Pre dinner: 5.1
Dinner: spicy pepper and sausage
post dinner: 4.5

still not good at getting those carbs lower

Reactions: 5 people

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
Bummer. Hope your mother is getting good care. Your brother will need as much stability and familiarity as possible but depends of course just how far up the autistic spectrum he is, you will know. Don't neglect yourself.
Thanks, luckily my brother is high functioning - he wasn't diagnosed until he was 26 and at University. His biggest coping strategy is his routine, which of course is difficult at the moment. It looks like she's going to be in for a while longer, so I will have to work out a new temporary routine with him. It would be sod's law if she was discharged as soon as he gets used to it! Thanks for your kind words, I'm trying to grab a bit of me time whenever I can. I won't be any good to anyone if I get sick as well.

Reactions: 4 people

Jajabing

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did everything wrong today..

L : 2 eggs with some spam and mayo. (i know... spam is terrible but it's all i had in the fridge. I should stock up better tomorrow)

D : french beans, tofu, 3 chicken wings and a small chicken cutlet that is cooked with sweet lemon sauce. 5.2 - 6.9 on this one.

S : no sugar added crunchy peanut butter with some almonds. yum

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: 2 eggs & asparagus fried in butter, smoked salmon

L: red cabbage with bacon

D: pork & pepper fajitas (in chicory leaves) with avocado, grated cheddar and Greek yog (hot sauce over the lot!)

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
Breakfast 45gm All Bran and 2/3 cup milk and a small coffee when arrived at work (30 gms CHO).

Lunch sandwich 3 slices of bread (50 gms CH0)

Dinner roast lamb, veggies, gravy and mint sauce (45 gms CHO).

Reactions: 2 people

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Pre 5.0
Brekky: Beef broth with mushrooms and spinach

Pre: 4.5
Lunch: Egg fried rice with prawns using Slim Rice

Pre: 4.9
Dinner: Red pepper, mushroom and onion salsa, 1/4 pounder with fried egg and asparagus followed by blackberries and raspberries in cream.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Hi @Amanda61 - I have been making my own bread for several years and now being diagnosed T2 I am on the hunt for a decent bread recipe. Best on that I have found for myself so far is the Wheat and Bran Low-carb bread recipe that I posted here: ://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/bread-and-bread-recipes.77958/
Ingredients are a bit pricey and I get most of mine on Amazon.
Hi dunelm and @Amanda61 ... Isn't wheat bad for diabetics and low-carbers? Milled flax is a lot kinder than bran, which tends to be abrasive, and is also wheat... One Minute Flax Muffin - Low Carb Recipe - Food.com or djfoodie.com/One-Minute-Bread are both very good.. there are loads of recipes out there... I keep all my 'flours' in the freezer in tubs as they can go off quite quickly... Tree nuts are the way to go when you're low-carbing... and they are delicious too, which makes it much better... :) Coconut oil doesn't go off for years so no need to keep in the fridge, which makes life easier... good luck with your bread... :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
B: creamy omelette with mushrooms and shallots

L: Le Pain Quotidien smoked chicken salad (with prosciutto, blue cheese, egg and avocado on mixed leaves)

D: lamb hears, leek & mushroom stew, Slim noodles; dessert of choc/banana protein powder (sweetened with sucralose), raw cocoa and a splash of cream (left a too-sweet aftertaste)
Good morning... If you like chocolate pudding you could make it with Stevia - much better sweetener I gather... Cacao powder and chia seed seems to be the low-carb favourite here... the recipe is in the Low Carb Recipe thread on the forum... it's a bit like tapioca!!

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm under a lot of stress at the moment - my mum is in hospital with MRSA and my brother (who is autistic and lives with her) is struggling with the change in routine. Their house is a half hour walk away from mine so I'm spending a lot of time walking there and back, which is playing havoc with my BG. I was feeling especially low when I got back this afternoon so I thought sod it - let's have an almighty great fry up :) So I fried some bacon, sausages and onions, made some scramblers and added some sliced mushrooms and chopped tomatoes - it was just what I needed
I am sorry to hear your family is suffering... so difficult for you.... I hope your mother gets better really quickly... maybe you could take some 75% chocolate with you for a quick boost... and a babybel or two... :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Two fried eggs, 5 slices of pancetta fried and two little slices of my almond/coconut bread thickly buttered...
Salmon and salad with a dollop of lemon mayonnaise... Yeo Valley greek yohgurt with rhubarb cooked with Stevia and ground ginger...
Haddock cooked in lemon cream sauce with dill, buttered cabbage and green beans...
That all looks like a lot of food... :)

Reactions: 14 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast...coffee
Lunch....Lidl roll with salmon, spinach and a dollop of mayo.....
Dinner will be....steak, cauli and broccoli
raspberries and jelly

Reactions: 10 people