What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: new batch of chia seed coffee cocoa peanut butter and rasps
11's: black coffee, cheese and olives
L: 3 egg omelet with left over curry, truly good.
Before: 5.0
D: Spatchcock chicken, some potato salad(!) coleslaw, cabbage and baked garlic, rasps and sour cream.
2 hrs after: 5.6
A weekend with no wine.... never done this and not sure why I did this weekend as it does not appear to affect my BG's...

Reactions: 4 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Hi Everyone,

I hope your all doing well and keeping your BGL's in check, as this is the main task of our day by day life, yeah!!!
BGL's @ 06:30 hrs 11.3
Breakfast 2 Poached Eggs and a slice of Lite Rye Toast, a cup of Coffee with 1 teaspoon of White Sugar.
BGL's @ 09:45 hrs 10:2

Lunch just a cup of coffee with 1 teaspoon of white sugar, Didn't take my BGL's

BGL's @ 18:30 hrs 13.7
Dinner Steamed Fish with Sweat Potato Chips and Mashed Pumkin and Peas, with a cup of coffee with 1 teaspoon of sugar.
BGL"s @ 20:35 hrs 13.5

Stemar, (Downunder)
Hi Stemar.. Are you low-carbing to keep your numbers low? If you are, sugar, pumpkin, peas, rye bread and sweet potato is not the way forward my dear... :) Your poached eggs, coffee with full fat cream, steamed fish, any above-ground veg and fibre in the form of chia seeds or milled flax seed is good...

Reactions: 6 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
B: new batch of chia seed coffee cocoa peanut butter and rasps
11's: black coffee, cheese and olives
L: 3 egg omelet with left over curry, truly good.
Before: 5.0
D: Spatchcock chicken, some potato salad(!) coleslaw, cabbage and baked garlic, rasps and sour cream.
2 hrs after: 5.6
A weekend with no wine.... never done this and not sure why I did this weekend as it does not appear to affect my BG's...
That all sounds lovely to me... but I wouldn't dare eat potato still... I made a wonderful chicken, mushroom and pancetta pie with puff pastry for my husband yesterday, and, for the first time in 8 months, ate pastry... couldn't resist and decided to test myself... I so enjoyed it, but never again... I cannot do it, my numbers went from an average 6.5 after eating, to 172... couldn't believe it... :( Back to my lovely almond flour pastry then... I'll have a glass of red with it... :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That all sounds lovely to me... but I wouldn't dare eat potato still... I made a wonderful chicken, mushroom and pancetta pie with puff pastry for my husband yesterday, and, for the first time in 8 months, ate pastry... couldn't resist and decided to test myself... I so enjoyed it, but never again... I cannot do it, my numbers went from an average 6.5 after eating, to 172... couldn't believe it... :( Back to my lovely almond flour pastry then... I'll have a glass of red with it... :)

Is the 172 mg/dL figure, meaning 9.6mmol/L? That could potentially improve, if "last meal effect" is in play. If you haven't encountered that before, consult with Dr Google, who will happily explain it to you.

Reactions: 2 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Is the 172 mg/dL figure, meaning 9.6mmol/L? That could potentially improve, if "last meal effect" is in play. If you haven't encountered that before, consult with Dr Google, who will happily explain it to you.
Ahhh, sorry AB - I live in the ME so have meters that read the American system... yep, 9.6 indeed... I have never had a reading that high since I started low-carbing... I never cheat though, so maybe that's why! Thanks for that - I never stop researching and always learn something new every time... How are you? I haven't logged on for ages, my life is manic...

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Susikav good to hear from you, hope all is well.
Agree with Potato, didn't know why I did it as it was pretty out of character, can't remember the last time I ate potato....
And for your Pastry I cooked sourdough pizza for wife and son and had one myself.... BG +10 2 hours after, highest ever.... and never again unless I try a cauliflower base.
Red wine does seem to help my BG.
pip pip.
Hj

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Susikav good to hear from you, hope all is well.
Agree with Potato, didn't know why I did it as it was pretty out of character, can't remember the last time I ate potato....
And for your Pastry I cooked sourdough pizza for wife and son and had one myself.... BG +10 2 hours after, highest ever.... and never again unless I try a cauliflower base.
Red wine does seem to help my BG.
pip pip.
Hj
Thanks for that! I feel a bit better now :) All is well, just have a stupidly mad life at the moment .. And Breathe says look up the 'last meal effect' and see why it makes your numbers so high.. I have just, literally, started reading about it... I'll condense it for you if I ever understand it... Or, you could condense it for me... :)

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that! I feel a bit better now :) All is well, just have a stupidly mad life at the moment .. And Breathe says look up the 'last meal effect' and see why it makes your numbers so high.. I have just, literally, started reading about it... I'll condense it for you if I ever understand it... Or, you could condense it for me... :)
Got the Wiki page up but not read it.... really should be doing some work.....

arrghhh..

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ahhh, sorry AB - I live in the ME so have meters that read the American system... yep, 9.6 indeed... I have never had a reading that high since I started low-carbing... I never cheat though, so maybe that's why! Thanks for that - I never stop researching and always learn something new every time... How are you? I haven't logged on for ages, my life is manic...

I'm extremely well thanks. :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Got the Wiki page up but not read it.... really should be doing some work.....

arrghhh..
Me too... if I don't I won't be able to watch the Ashes... :) I have been running around looking after all my animals since stupid-o'clock, done the shopping, stripped the bed, done the laundry and and and, and my reading was still 6.3 two hours after two eggs, full-fat cottage cheese and a portabello mushroom cooked in butter and avocado oil... with one bullet coffee... maybe I'm going down with something, though I feel really well!! I've just opened a new pot of strips - it might be them... sigh... sometimes I wonder why I test... :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I can't seem to take much comfort from the last meal effect...What was interesting was the idea that if you eat any carbs last, it lessens the effect of them? We ate mid-afternoon and had buttered cabbage, green beans and cauliflower with it... I watched the tennis instead of pottering around or walking on my treadmill - maybe that didn't help?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't seem to take much comfort from the last meal effect...What was interesting was the idea that if you eat any carbs last, it lessens the effect of them? We ate mid-afternoon and had buttered cabbage, green beans and cauliflower with it... I watched the tennis instead of pottering around or walking on my treadmill - maybe that didn't help?

Probably inactivity didn't help, but the main thrust of last meal effect is something I would express differently.

As simply as I can manage, our bodies work on a routine. It gets used to when we get up, when we eat, sleep, work and whatever. As a part of that our digestions are similar. You know how it is, we probably get hungry about the same time each day, and so on. In the background, our digestive systems are geared up for food that mimics what we have been eating recently, and as such the required hormones and digestive enzymes are around and about. Where we then lump in something new, in any quantity, as you did with the pastry (but it could be fat, protein or anything really), our systems can be rather caught short and not able to digest it efficiently. Think (old life) Christmas dinner feasting, or the opposite of what happens with carb flu. With carb flu, the body is objecting to the reductions. With last meal effect, or as I call it in my head, "enzyme-lag", our bodies are caught short, and deal with it best they can, which can include increased blood readings.

If you were to repeat the same pattern today, you might find your score improved a bit, because your pastry wouldn't be a complete shock to your system, and repeated again, it could be better again. How much improvement any individual can expect ir really down to their own bodies, and the level of change they are imposing on their systems at any given time.

So, that's why you may observe folks on here advising not to count out or in and reintroduced food, based on on iteration.

It's completely up to you how you choose to handle your most recent "experiment" and the results, but please do bear in mind the concept, or you could find yourself repeated discounting foods when agreeing a window for modification with yourself might be kinder, physically and psychologically.

Good luck with it all.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Probably inactivity didn't help, but the main thrust of last meal effect is something I would express differently.

As simply as I can manage, our bodies work on a routine. It gets used to when we get up, when we eat, sleep, work and whatever. As a part of that our digestions are similar. You know how it is, we probably get hungry about the same time each day, and so on. In the background, our digestive systems are geared up for food that mimics what we have been eating recently, and as such the required hormones and digestive enzymes are around and about. Where we then lump in something new, in any quantity, as you did with the pastry (but it could be fat, protein or anything really), our systems can be rather caught short and not able to digest it efficiently. Think (old life) Christmas dinner feasting, or the opposite of what happens with carb flu. With carb flu, the body is objecting to the reductions. With last meal effect, or as I call it in my head, "enzyme-lag", our bodies are caught short, and deal with it best they can, which can include increased blood readings.

If you were to repeat the same pattern today, you might find your score improved a bit, because your pastry wouldn't be a complete shock to your system, and repeated again, it could be better again. How much improvement any individual can expect ir really down to their own bodies, and the level of change they are imposing on their systems at any given time.

So, that's why you may observe folks on here advising not to count out or in and reintroduced food, based on on iteration.

It's completely up to you how you choose to handle your most recent "experiment" and the results, but please do bear in mind the concept, or you could find yourself repeated discounting foods when agreeing a window for modification with yourself might be kinder, physically and psychologically.

Good luck with it all.
That makes a lot more sense... I remember your posts on enzyme-lag now... much better term for it... My problem is that I hardly have a routine... I just get used to being up at 5, feeding and watering everything, then I'm off on another plane to live in a hotel - 4* usually, happily, but still it's difficult to keep to any kind of routine... still up at 4 to be out on-site at 5.30 usually though... I'm always in bed early... I am going to be less strict with myself now for a while - it makes sense to introduce a small amount at a time and allow the system to get used to it, if it can... Thank you AB... Glad you're well... are you home for the summer?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That makes a lot more sense... I remember your posts on enzyme-lag now... much better term for it... My problem is that I hardly have a routine... I just get used to being up at 5, feeding and watering everything, then I'm off on another plane to live in a hotel - 4* usually, happily, but still it's difficult to keep to any kind of routine... still up at 4 to be out on-site at 5.30 usually though... I'm always in bed early... I am going to be less strict with myself now for a while - it makes sense to introduce a small amount at a time and allow the system to get used to it, if it can... Thank you AB... Glad you're well... are you home for the summer?

Yes, I'm in UK at the moment. Today isn't much like summer, but it's what we've got!

I think your plan is sound. Provided your relaxation is consistent, it is likely to encourage your body to change gear, where it can. It's the shocks that can lead to the shockers! Clearly, most of us have personal nemesis foods, but we can probably identify them from our initial testing, and maybe leave them off menu until our body has a chance to up it's game?

Like all things experimental, it's best to be consistent and to agree your parameters with yourself up front, so that you can readily comply or understand when you're going off-piste, and can therefore expect, and maybe expect unexpected results.

Good luck with it all.

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
think i was running out of potassium, so for the last few days:

Brekky: 4 half boiled eggs, 2 TBs Butter, some gorgeous coffee..followed by more gorgeous coffee & an avocado..
Dinner: Lamb broth (with marrow), some veg, full fat greek yoghurt with blueberries & more than a handful of almonds :)

i ...am...stuffed...

Reactions: 5 people

Stemar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Everyone,

First of all let me thank you for all your posts as I've read them all, because I'm new to this new way of having to organize my way of eating where as before being told I had Type 2 Diabetes I just ate what I felt like when I felt like it, which was most probably led me to where I am now, so I'm going to follow your suggestions and see how things go, So Thank You All!!!

Stemar, (Downunder)

PS: For Hankjam, we'll do better in the next test, on Thursday, I think our team was over confident due to the results of the last test, which was their mistake, also England play fantastic in all 3 fields of the game.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: standard Chia et al
11: Black coffee, nuts and cheese
L: Celery, olives, feta, avocado, raw garlic, artichokes.
Pre: 4.3(!) low for me
D: gammon, spinach garlic and boursin cheese, coleslaw, rasps and creme fraiche

Haddock on Tuesdays, Huzza!!!

Reactions: 6 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: 2 boiled eggs with almond/flax/fennel bread, butter & yeast extract.
L: Chicken korma, roast veg & cauli cheese (in the RHS Rosemoor gardens restaurant)(I think there was small amount of parsnip :nailbiting:)
D: Home-made keralan masala beef curry, coconut/peanut butter/cauli dhall & raita
Pud: Defrosted strawberries/blueberries, fresh blackcurrants, coconut milk, cream, nuts, seeds, grated 90% cocoa choc.

Reactions: 8 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
struggling to remember what I ate yesterday...

B: coffee with cream
L: hummus and a 9 bar
S: 10 emergency pringles just before supper to avoid low BG induced bloodshed in the kitchen
D: chicken breast stuffed with chicken and wrapped in bacon, with green beans, peas and caulicheese (used mozarrella this time. far too stringy, but a nice flavour)

it was a bit of a low before evening meal. My fault. went for a dog walk immediately after work without snacking. one of those weird decisions where you think 'hmm, I should probably snack before exercise. but I've only got a 9bar, and I don't want 2 of those a day, so I won't'.

That kind of wonky thinking is actually symptomatic of already being in the brain-dead-bad-decision-making early phase of a low. So will prepare better next time.

Anyway, felt better after supper, so no harm done. and the fact that I coasted gently on the low side from 5 pm, through dog walk and on to preparing dinner is a positive thing. Clearly a gentle low, due to ketosis, and no massive adrenalin spike and over-reaction. All good then!

Reactions: 11 people

A new man

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all - after 7 months in the wilderness initiated by Christmas and perpetuated by my inability to stay away from Carbs I am back!! Dipped my toe in the low carb meal camp again last week but blood sugar failed to respond so I decided to sulk and have a couple of Ciders at the weekend! Yesterday I started again but cheated with a brown bread roll when I got home from work as I was starving (why is it that all the best snacks are carby ones!)

Anyway, today I woke up with a 7.1 (yay!) and so am now enthused to continue but I need some ideas for less monotonous meals - breakfast seems to be eggs all the time, occasionally bacon (still worried about cholesterol though!).

Breakfast - Cheese Omelette
Lunch - Tuna Salad (but forgot the dressing so a bit plain!) - tested before and go a 6.1 (yay again!)
Dinner - will be chicken and roasted veggies
Snack - Glass of red with a square or two of 70% chocolate from ALDI

Reactions: 8 people