1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What have you eaten today?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Administrator, Apr 20, 2015.

1. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

What would you like to eat for breakfast? That way we can resist suggesting you have, say, beef madras, if that's not your thing.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Wildrover

Wildrover Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Nicely put AB, now I understand, I have now seen the light, thanks

• Like Like x 2
  3. A new man

A new man Type 2 · Well-Known Member

haha! Madras is a little hot for me - perhaps a Chicken Tikka (without rice of course)

• Like Like x 4
  4. mo53

mo53 Type 2 · Expert

@A new man I was interested to read your post as your circumstances are a match for my own. I was diagnosed type 2 last july and went lchf which resulted in weight loss and vastly improved sugar levels but I fell off the wagon at chritmas time and have only just returned. Today is day 1 again and I'm finding restarting is hard! I wish you good luck. I think we are going to need some determination. :)

• Like Like x 4
  5. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru

The best tips I have ever seen for re-entering LC are these:

Don't expect it to be as bad, this time round - your body remembers and re-entry is always easier
    Drink more water than you think you need
    Take the extra salt (broth, bovril, salt on food) from the start, don't wait til you feel droopy and limp to do it.
    Eat enough fat to prevent hunger - if that means a coffee with cream several times a day, then so be it
    Wait til the carb cravings subside before you start cutting down calories or food intake (for those who want to lose weight)

There, the secrets of LC in 5 easy steps lol.
    Can you tell I've been on and off the wagon a few times?

Of them all, I personally find no 4 (eating enough fat to avoid hunger) the most important. It kills the cravings. But maybe that is just me...

• Like Like x 10
  6. mo53

mo53 Type 2 · Expert

@Brunneria . Thank you for the post. Your tips sound really good advice. Thank you:)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Stemar

Stemar Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

I hope your all feeling great and enjoying your summer, as it's Winter here and the last few days have been the coldest on record, for over a decade, so nobodies use to it and their all feeling it. Anyway take care everyone and enjoy each day as it comes.

Prior 5:45 hrs, 10.2
    Breakfast: 2 Soft Boiled Eggs and a cup of coffee with 1 teaspoon of sugar
    After 07:15 hrs, 11.4

Lunch: Just a cup of coffee with 1 teaspoon of sugar

Dinner: Steamed Fillet of Fish with Blanched Baby Beans with some Butter and a cup of coffee with 1 teaspoon of sugar
    After: 20:00 hrs, 11.5, Didn't test prior to dinner but I maybe should of, (Will From Here On)

Stemar, (Downunder)

• Like Like x 4
    #1027 Stemar, Jul 14, 2015 at 6:04 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2015
  8. Mongolia

Mongolia Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have lots of breakfast ideas depending on how keen you are! These pancakes are delicious with a handful of berries and cream:
    http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/07/egg-fast-recipe-snickerdoodle-crepes-low-carb.html
    English breakfast muffins: http://beautyandthefoodie.com/quick-paleo-english-muffins/ which can be made either sweet or savoury. Could spread with butter / almond butter / marmite / cream cheese or try making chia seed jam - no cooking required! https://sumptuousspoonfuls.wordpress.com/2012/06/08/no-cook-strawberry-chia-jam-a-berrylicious-post/
    Thanks to hankjam I have also recently discovered chia pudding which makes a quick and easy no cook breakfast. Many recipes on the internet but I have used this: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/08/coconut-lime-raspberry-chia-pudding.html

• Like Like x 7
  9. Mongolia

Sorry, back to the theme of the thread!
    B: raspberry, coconut & lime chia pudding
    L: coconut 'flatbread' with melted brie and marmite - this was delicious :0)
    D: roast duck breast, cauliflower rice and home grown kale - finally a productive veg patch.

• Like Like x 7
  10. A new man

A new man Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Blimey Mongolia I think I need you as my personal chef!

• Like Like x 2
  11. hankjam

hankjam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I have to ask:
    What's with the sugar?
    Have your numbers always been low double digit or are they working their way down?
    In wonder.

12. hankjam

B: chia et al with half a nectarine and rasps
    11: strong black coffee, nuts and cheese
    L: same as yesterday
    D: Haddock/almonds/butter, broccoli, SK and coleslaw, rasps.
    Lovely.

• Like Like x 8
  13. Mongolia

Happy to help!! Love cooking and discovering LCHF has given me good reason to experiment :0)

• Like Like x 6
  14. vintageutopia

vintageutopia Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This bit made me chuckle to myself. LC is very much like a re-entry to a alternate universe.

• Like Like x 7
  15. Shelly69

Shelly69 Type 2 · Member

Cheese, ham and spinach for lunch
    Steak, roasted spinach balls and roasted radish for dinner
    Snacks Raspberries, creme fraiche and 25 g high cocoa dark chocolate!
    I have hit a plateau after shifting 15kgs, have around 30 grams of carbs a day? Any advice help appreciated, well done everyone LCHF has been amazing

• Like Like x 6
  16. hankjam

@Shelly69,
    how much more would you like to lose and how long did the 15kgs take to drop?
    What is your BG control like?
    Sorry if you've posted this else where.
    You seem to be getting a good range of foods.
    I've flattened out and would probably like to lose a touch more round the middle but I reckon more physical exercise is going to be needed to move it.
    Doing good.
    Hj

• Like Like x 4
  17. Clivethedrive

Clivethedrive Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello shelly69, great work, really encouraging,i found that only by weighing my food and limiting my cals to 900 a day did i come off the plateau...and start losing steadily again ,1 st 3 st was relatively easy, then i had to weigh and limit my cals to get going again,hope this helps

• Like Like x 7
  18. Shelly69

Shelly69 Type 2 · Member

@hankjam
    It has taken me around 5 months to loose the weight it has been very slow as i was taking glicizide at the time. My BG is now within normal limits occasionally on the low side, still on 500mg Metformin OD. I do try and have a wide range of food and trying new recipes, so hoping the combination may help to kick start weight loss again, I gained so much on Glicizide . Thanks for your message

• Like Like x 3
  19. Shelly69

Shelly69 Type 2 · Member

Hi Clive
    I am having around 1200 a day, and use myfitnesspal to keep an eye on carbs etc, I am very careful, started walking more as gym is not great for me too many hypo's great on here for help and support thank you well done on your loss and good luck!

• Like Like x 8
  20. DeejayR

DeejayR Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

B: Scrambled eggs, bacon, mushrooms, home-made almond/flax bread. Coffee & cream
    L: Mussels in leftover fish curry sauce
    D: Courgette "pasta" ribbons softened in butter with garlic, shallot, pepper & mushrooms, & grated cheese on top
    Today I made some pesto, and also tried a recipe for pickled courgettes which will be ready after a few days in the fridge.
    I also managed to give away a couple of courgettes so I'm down to 2 green 'uns in the fridge and 6 yellow ones growing by the minute on the allotment!

• Like Like x 11
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook