What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been starring at cauliflower rice at the supermarket it wondered what it tastes like
It depends what you put into it. You can use it in much the same way as rice e.g. stir fry some spring onion, add in some cooked peas, chuck in the cauliflower rice , turn it over a couple of times and add in some Tamari Soy (Low carb soy sauce). You can also mix in a beaten egg if you want - egg fried rice! Very quick as you don't want to overcook it. Tonight I'm going to turn some over in a wok with spring onion and ginger as I am having it with Thai red curry. So as I said the flavour comes from what you add to it. I actually prefer it to rice now.

Reactions: ziggy_w

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
Perfect! I have put it on my shopping list and have a go at it this weekend

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Perfect! I have put it on my shopping list and have a go at it this weekend

Yes, I prefer it to rice, too. Normally I spread it over a baking tray, mix in some lime juice, garlic and coriander and bake for about 20 mins until its just slightly browning around the edges.

Oh, and buy the way, on the packet they say you can't freeze it - but you can. I freeze mine 'fresh' and then defrost in a colander which gets rid of a lot of the excess liquid - makes cooking much quicker with a less stodgy end product. :)

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
Thanks for the tip although I must admit that I am not so much of a freezer. I like to buy it fresh and cook it fresh. And as I got my husband finally joined in on low carb to lose his belly I try to keep stuff as tasty as possible so he won't be tempted to cheat. Surprisingly he loves the low carb munching so far and he is over the moon he lost a few kilos already with it. Tonight we are eating spicy tiger prawns with salad

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tip although I must admit that I am not so much of a freezer. I like to buy it fresh and cook it fresh. And as I got my husband finally joined in on low carb to lose his belly I try to keep stuff as tasty as possible so he won't be tempted to cheat. Surprisingly he loves the low carb munching so far and he is over the moon he lost a few kilos already with it. Tonight we are eating spicy tiger prawns with salad
Now see your spicy tiger prawns would go great with cauliflower rice. Add in spring onion, bok choi, green beans, broccoli- any low carb veg basically and personally I'd add red curry and bean sprouts. Great filling Stir fry meal.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Intended this to be a non-fasting day, but am still full after lunch, so dinner may be skipped.

Breakfast - none

Lunch - small mixed chicken/lamb doner kebab (no bread) with salad

Dinner - none planned - off for an evening walk instead. Perhaps a few almonds if I get peckish later.

Drinks - 1 mug instant coffee with cream, 1 mug tea with cream, 1 Diet Coke, 1.75 litres water (so far)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Intended this to be a non-fasting day, but am still full after lunch, so dinner may be skipped.

Breakfast - none

Lunch - small mixed chicken/lamb doner kebab (no bread) with salad

Dinner - none planned - off for an evening walk instead. Perhaps a few almonds if I get peckish later.

Drinks - 1 mug instant coffee with cream, 1 mug tea with cream, 1 Diet Coke, 1.75 litres water (so far)
I found lower carb pitta on muscle foods. One of these with kebab and salad and I doubt I'd want anything else.

http://www.musclefood.com/high-protein-snacks-1/protein-bread-2/whole-wheat-pita-bread.html

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: forgot, then had a glass of kefir because Mr B refused to go out on a dog walk with me unless I 'ate'. Some piffle about him living in fear of hypos. Pah!
L: an 8oz steak with mushrooms, tomato, fried onions and about 1/2 portion of chips, followed by a child's portion (one blob with choc sprinkles) of vanilla icecream. Oh, and a half of dry cider, which was delicious and totally spur of the moment. Bg went above 7.5 for less than 40 mins according to my Libre, so am well chuffed with that after both chips AND icecream. Maybe I should be thanking the cider? Or not? I mean, spirits send you down, beer sends you up. So maybe cider is neutral, or beery. Anyone know?
D: won't be needed, although I may toy with some 70% lindt and a blob of peanut butter at around 9pm.

I do need to DRINK MORE today though. Haven't had nearly enough and the headache is lurking

Butterfly1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It depends what you put into it. You can use it in much the same way as rice e.g. stir fry some spring onion, add in some cooked peas, chuck in the cauliflower rice , turn it over a couple of times and add in some Tamari Soy (Low carb soy sauce). You can also mix in a beaten egg if you want - egg fried rice! Very quick as you don't want to overcook it. Tonight I'm going to turn some over in a wok with spring onion and ginger as I am having it with Thai red curry. So as I said the flavour comes from what you add to it. I actually prefer it to rice now.
:hungry::hungry::hungry::rolleyes::D

Reactions: ziggy_w

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello all

B - raspberry chia pudding
L- small chicken thigh, salad, keto coleslaw, and pkt pork scratchings
Dinner bratwurst with tender stem broccoli and cauliflower with garlic mash.
Unusual for me today but needed a snack so had a boiled egg.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
B: forgot, then had a glass of kefir because Mr B refused to go out on a dog walk with me unless I 'ate'. Some piffle about him living in fear of hypos. Pah!
L: an 8oz steak with mushrooms, tomato, fried onions and about 1/2 portion of chips, followed by a child's portion (one blob with choc sprinkles) of vanilla icecream. Oh, and a half of dry cider, which was delicious and totally spur of the moment. Bg went above 7.5 for less than 40 mins according to my Libre, so am well chuffed with that after both chips AND icecream. Maybe I should be thanking the cider? Or not? I mean, spirits send you down, beer sends you up. So maybe cider is neutral, or beery. Anyone know?
D: won't be needed, although I may toy with some 70% lindt and a blob of peanut butter at around 9pm.

I do need to DRINK MORE today though. Haven't had nearly enough and the headache is lurking

Cider spikes my BG - I only experimented once with it because it was a BIG spike -so congratulations on tolerating it. :)

JenniferG

Desconstructed Burrito
465 calories, 9g net carbs, 4g fiber, 26g protein

BASE: Mexican Rice (w/ riced cauliflower)
* 6-7 oz cauliflower (riced) fried in 1 tbsp olive oil
* cumin, oregano, garlic powder, paprika, crushed red pepper, black pepper, salt to taste
* 1 tbsp tomato paste

MIDDLE: Ground Beef Taco Meat
* 4 oz of fried ground beef
* cumin, oregano, garlic powder, paprika, crushed red pepper, black pepper & salt to taste
* splash vinegar and/or louisianna hot sauce. (for some acidic bite)

TOPPINGS:
* 1/2 oz Freshly grated cheese
* cilantro (optional) [a.k.a. coriander leaves]
* hot sauce (optional)
* dollup sour cream (optional)
* avocado (optional)

17404d1505935821-low-carbers-what-did-you-eat-dsc_1879-jpg

Last edited:

Butterfly1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello! :)Wed (20/9/17)
Been to my acupuncture session today... that's the 9th one now and really feeling the benefits now especially for the fibromyalgia:joyful::singing:
B- I've been experimenting with my take on a paleo cereal and I've got a tasty and relatively cheap option;
25g Granola with peanut and coconut flavour (Really cheap, 1k for 79p in our local corner shop.... well... 5 miles away!)
to which I add tbs Linseed/flaxseed from Aldi's and a tbs of desiccated coconut soaked in non-dairy milk (approx. 200ml cos coconut really swells up, filling!) :hungry:
L- Paleo bar and 500ml water (to sustain me between meditation class and acupuncture) ;)
D- Smoked mackerel fillets and side salad (no tomatoes) and dessert- strawberry soya yogurt with 1x disc of 72% dark choc disc
I don't eat fish very often, just a personal choice thingy :cat:

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Milky coffee
B: Poached eggs on wholemeal toast
L: Ham salad with LF salad cream, 7 cherries, light & free yogurt
S: Pork scratchings
T: Beefburger (brought home from France) with slice of leerdamer cheese on a brioche bun with mixed vegetable chips.
Tea throughout the day

shoesy24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast milky coffee and 500 ml of water.
Lunch 2 spinach falafels and humous, 1 poached egg, half an satsuma, few spoonfuls of cott cheese. Chia seeds and greek yoghurt,
Snack strong coffee with half pancake.
Dinner small portion of pasta with sauce and toast with goats cheese.

NEWBIE. Give me chance. Cutting out carbs is hard cold turkey.
No more fruitnfibre or branflakes and i loved my fruit and fibre!

Bg been good going to bed last few nights a 6.7 and a 7.9. Experimenting with morning hikes now. Gonna have a cracker and pb. Night night.

Whats general consensus on Applecidervinegar?

Reactions: heh and ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wednesday ...

Breakfast: Two cups of double decaffeinated espresso with cream and xylitol. Half a homemade low-carb roll with mayonnaise and smoked sockeye salmon.

Lunch: Celeriac-broccoli mash with roasted eggplant and bellpepper, celery-tuna salad with mayonnaise.

Dinner: A hamburger with cheddar, beef prociutto and avocado on a low-carb roll, a side of zucchini chips.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whats general consensus on Applecidervinegar?

Hi @shoesy24 and welcome! Have only used apple cider vinegar a couple of times in cooking - to try and take the sweet edge off my bolognese sauce. Not very successful - seemed to draw the sweetness out of the tomatoes. I've never fancied drinking the stuff - even in small quantities - judging by the smell it would taste vile! For me, for this way of eating to be sustainable I need to be eating and drinking things that I enjoy.