What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening!

Breakfast - none

Lunch - Nando’s. Plain chicken leg with salad.

Dinner - Kippers with butter and side salad of baby leaf spinach, rocket and mayonnaise; 2 squares Lindt 90%.

Drinks - 2 mugs tea with cream, 1 mug instant coffee with cream, 1 Diet Coke, 2 glasses San Pellegrino sparkling water, 1 litre still water.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today ...

Breakfast: One double decaffeinated espresso with cream and xylitol. Half a homemade low-carb roll with chicken liver pate. Low-carb flatbread with sour cream, cheese, beef salami, onions and tomatoes.

Lunch: A heaping table spoon of homemade low-carb chocolate mousse, mixed nuts in homemade low-carb caramel.

Dinner: Hamburger on a low-carb roll (wasn't really hungry before eating, but unfortunately after -- bummer)

Reactions: Chook and Goonergal

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After the Lord Mayor's show and all that.....after these weirdly low readings I've had 2 unexplained spikes to 10 and 10.7. Figs otherwise were pretty unremarkable for a Sunday bed 6.8 FBG 6 and pre breakfast 7.2. I'd had the 10.7 spike late last night but it came down but then the next spike came this morning. So more fasting called for I think.
B. Only had Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Using stuff up. Tablespoon of anchovies, tablespoon prawns, 2 baby beets with balsamic and juniper, 20g cornish cove, 6 mozzarella pearls, marinated roasted pepper slices, lettuce, cherry tomatoes and tablespoon egg mayonnaise
D. Nothing just water.

BGs back at 4.9.

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tea
B: An orange & a bacon butty on Hovis low carb wholemeal
L: Chicken soup, 1 slice cheese, 1 slice ham and come cucumber, berries & Activia zero yogurt
S: 2 handfuls of mixed nuts & fruit
T: Pork chop, cauliflower gratin & a glass of Malbec
Tea throughout the day.

shoesy24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Off the wagon...
Cant check bg as no strips.
Boots dont sell anymore BGSTAR ones!!! Grr. Ebay it is.

Breakfast : one square of 90% at 945 only at 12:30 back from playgroup with my son. Coffee, chia seeds yoghurt ham cheese pitta and humous.

Lunch: pear and walnut salad white wine
And cake. I made and baked myself My sisters birthday. Ciabatta. olive ciabatta- just one slice. It was warm. Dont judge me.
A newbie to no or low carbs and still experimenting. I’m gonna miss my bread and cereal.

Dinner nothing yet.. may just be a few almonds and water with ACV.
Plan in some exercise tomorrow. A nice run. Son with childminder so have some me time.

shoesy24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The cake was rose and pistachio. Btw and it was awesome!
4ebbb1901730d009c2058ea0a9159000.jpg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is that a good thing to do?

It can help with reducing insulin resistance.

Take a look at the work of Dr Jason Fung. Also good explanations on Diet Doctor:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting

However as a newbie - and you mentioned above that you’re struggling a bit with low carb - it might be best to get your diet where you want it first and then start experimenting with other strategies for controlling blood sugar levels and weight (don’t know whether you want to lose weight?)

Personally I ditched the carbs and didn’t start experimenting with intermittent fasting for a few months. Initially I tried skipping breakfast a couple of times - was worried it would trigger my migraines, it didn’t - and then dropped it altogether. Then I completed a couple of 24 hour fasts (from dinner one night to dinner the next, so still eating every day). Finally, when I was on holiday over the summer I almost fell into regular fasting - got a stomach bug and didn’t eat for a day. The next day I was flying and decided to eat lunch at my destination. Arrived later than planned so ended up just having dinner. Then found that I was just getting less hungry - perhaps due to the heat - and ended up skipping lunch as well as breakfast most days over a 10 day period. Really improved sugar levels and sped up weight loss.

So now I fast pretty regularly, but safe in the knowledge that it’s voluntary - my new mantra is to eat when hungry and not eat if not hungry. Now that I’m adjusted to low carb, my body is much better at telling me if I’m really hungry rather than just craving/eating from habit.

However this is all a lot to take in - I certainly wouldn’t have felt able to take it all in when first diagnosed - so would advise going step by step and at your own pace. We’re all different and different things will work for different people.

Butterfly1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today ...

Breakfast: One double decaffeinated espresso with cream and xylitol. Half a homemade low-carb roll with chicken liver pate. Low-carb flatbread with sour cream, cheese, beef salami, onions and tomatoes.

Lunch: A heaping table spoon of homemade low-carb chocolate mousse, mixed nuts in homemade low-carb caramel.

Dinner: Hamburger on a low-carb roll (wasn't really hungry before eating, but unfortunately after -- bummer)

Reactions: ziggy_w

Butterfly1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Off the wagon...
Cant check bg as no strips.
Boots dont sell anymore BGSTAR ones!!! Grr. Ebay it is.

Breakfast : one square of 90% at 945 only at 12:30 back from playgroup with my son. Coffee, chia seeds yoghurt ham cheese pitta and humous.

Lunch: pear and walnut salad white wine
And cake. I made and baked myself My sisters birthday. Ciabatta. olive ciabatta- just one slice. It was warm. Dont judge me.
A newbie to no or low carbs and still experimenting. I’m gonna miss my bread and cereal.

Dinner nothing yet.. may just be a few almonds and water with ACV.
Plan in some exercise tomorrow. A nice run. Son with childminder so have some me time.
Sounds familiar! Apart from playschool! Those days long gone!
I miss cakes and biccies homemade! And choccies!!
Getting used to dairy free gluten free low carb since July!!

Reactions: ziggy_w

Butterfly1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Those that state nothing for breakfast or lunch. Why? Intentional?
Yep! Sounds weird eh!?!
Thought I'd never do it myself!
But started low carb diet in July and lost 1st and 4lb!!
Only now feel can skip lunchtime.... Just lots of still water thru day....
Good luck with new diet!

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello

Mon
B - 1 egg scrambled with cheese and 2 slices salami
L - 1/2 a lidl protein roll, 2 slices salami, 1 boiled egg and pkt pork scratchings
D - dd meatloaf, broccoli and creamy mushroom sauce

Today
B - nothing
L- possibly Greek yoghurt
D - dd chicken curry with green salad

Have a good day all. X

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Staying with friends so a very difficult food day

Monday...

Breakfast: Nothing - a cup of decaff tea with lactofree skimmed milk - surprisingly nice - my first cup of tea in well over two years

Lunch: Enormous black Costa decaff Americano and 150g fresh raspberries

Dinner: Chicken wings and lamb ribs in a kind of BBQ sauce which had mostly cooked off and caramelised - very nice - with salad

Evening: a few salted peanuts and three glasses of Prosecco

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is that a good thing to do?
I agree with @Goonergal - very well explained. Personally, I started it in the last couple of days to try to kick start weight loss again as I had stuck again. I've been very low carb since the start of the year.
Have a look at Diet Doctor - some good explanations on there (and cracking low carb recipes).