What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Friday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol.

Lunch: Nothing.

Dinner: We ate out at our favorite tapas place. Two glasses of rioja, about 100g of manchego cheese, some fried sardines and one lamb skewer.

Late night snack: One low-carb roll with cream cheese and smoked sockeye salmon (had to share the salmon with the cat).

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On my latest 24 hr fast - will be eating soon!
Bed 5.6 FBG 5.9. The worst DP did to me with No food was 7.6 which is better than Yesterday's 8.1. Swimming with No 1 grandson this morning too. Shopping after swimming so the fast has been pretty easy. Moment of truth tomorrow when I find out what a week of fasting has done
B. Nothing just water
L. Nothing but a Marigold Swiss bouillon and more water
D. Cold meats - ox tongue, chicken, ham , roast beef and corned beef. Lettuce, tomatoes, couple of baby beets, boiled egg, coleslaw, 4 mozzarella pearls, marinated roasted pepper slices, 3 Walnuts and Helmanns.
Sigh - chia pudding finished so it will have to be a Whey Hay high protein ice cream.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Breakfast - none

Lunch - out shopping. Nando’s. Plain chicken leg with salad.

Dinner - courgette bake (fried courgettes layered with fresh tomato and onion sauce and mozzarella, topped with Parmesan), side of cabbage; 20g Hema 85% chocolate.

Just made a couple of portions of chocolate chia pudding ready for later in the week.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

Breakfast - none

Lunch - out shopping. Nando’s. Plain chicken leg with salad.

Dinner - courgette bake (fried courgettes layered with fresh tomato and onion sauce and mozzarella, topped with Parmesan), side of cabbage; 20g Hema 85% chocolate.

Just made a couple of portions of chocolate chia pudding ready for later in the week.
I got 1kg of chia seeds at costco today. Chia pudding will be on the go soon. Going to have a go at low carb rhubarb crumble for tomorrow and noticed the brilliant idea of ùsing some ground chia in with the rhubarb to absorb some of the liquid to keep the top crunchy. Bit of an experiment as I obviously can't use brown sugar and oats in the mix so will chop up some of my walnuts and hope xylitol works. Will be using almond flour and might put some unsweetened desiccated coconut in it too.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got 1kg of chia seeds at costco today. Chia pudding will be on the go soon. Going to have a go at low carb rhubarb crumble for tomorrow and noticed the brilliant idea of ùsing some ground chia in with the rhubarb to absorb some of the liquid to keep the top crunchy. Bit of an experiment as I obviously can't use brown sugar and oats in the mix so will chop up some of my walnuts and hope xylitol works. Will be using almond flour and might put some unsweetened desiccated coconut in it too.

Haven’t quite perfected my chia pudding recipe yet. Tried a mixture of cream and almond milk today, but not sure whether I’ve put enough seeds in.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On my latest 24 hr fast - will be eating soon!
Bed 5.6 FBG 5.9. The worst DP did to me with No food was 7.6 which is better than Yesterday's 8.1. Swimming with No 1 grandson this morning too. Shopping after swimming so the fast has been pretty easy. Moment of truth tomorrow when I find out what a week of fasting has done
B. Nothing just water
L. Nothing but a Marigold Swiss bouillon and more water
D. Cold meats - ox tongue, chicken, ham , roast beef and corned beef. Lettuce, tomatoes, couple of baby beets, boiled egg, coleslaw, 4 mozzarella pearls, marinated roasted pepper slices, 3 Walnuts and Helmanns.
Sigh - chia pudding finished so it will have to be a Whey Hay high protein ice cream.
Dropped the mozzarella, walnuts, helmanns, roasted peppers and whey hay .......but I did have 2 squares Lindt 90%

Currently researching low carb crumble and trying to decide the best way to do it.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use 4 tablespoons chia to 400 mls coconut milk plus flavouring but if it's vanilla I only use 1 teaspoon.

Think my proportions are similar - not too good on the conversions but used 180ml fluid (120 almond milk + 60 ml cream) to 32g seeds, plus some cocoa powder and xylitol. Just checked in fridge and it’s set solid.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think my proportions are similar - not too good on the conversions but used 180ml fluid (120 almond milk + 60 ml cream) to 32g seeds, plus some cocoa powder and xylitol. Just checked in fridge and it’s set solid.
Yep - mine is pretty much like that after 3 or 4 hrs in the fridge. I prefer to use the USA way of measuring things i.e. cups and spoons simply because it saves faffing about with the scales. Tend to use them for baking too even although the USA cup measure is slightly different to ours.

Reactions: Chook and Goonergal

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And yes 32g is slightly over 2 tablespoons and You're using slightly less than 1/2 the quantity of liquid I use so it's pretty close.

Reactions: ziggy_w

shoesy24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So still no strips to test. Ordered some off ebay.
Been eating well for the last week or so (i think) no major carbs and even if i havent planned anything I will just throw together a smorgasboard of things from the fridge. Hard with my (nearly) 2 yr old.
1022fa72973749f970d7d66c8427c582.jpg

Had a v small portion of rice with some homemade beef mince curry last night. Was really nice.
Today breakfast was chia pudding with coffee
Lunch: nothing- not intentional
Dinner tin of tomato and chorizo soup with two small tortilla.
Not enough water at all today

Tried ginger green tea- not gonna happen. Not a tea fan anyway.... happy with just water.
Got some Spinach to make some soup. Fill the freezer.

Had some oatcakes with peanut butter and 2 squares of lindt 90%.

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B = none
L = none
D = 8oz Rib eye steak with broccoli, cauliflower & green beans.
S = Lidl protein roll with Blue Shropshire cheese.
S +1 = 2 slices burgen bread with Ardennes pate.
In bed 6 squares 81% lidl dark chocolate. ( pig out night )
2 bottles of Merlot during evening.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So still no strips to test. Ordered some off ebay.
Been eating well for the last week or so (i think) no major carbs and even if i havent planned anything I will just throw together a smorgasboard of things from the fridge. Hard with my (nearly) 2 yr old.
1022fa72973749f970d7d66c8427c582.jpg

Had a v small portion of rice with some homemade beef mince curry last night. Was really nice.
Today breakfast was chia pudding with coffee
Lunch: nothing- not intentional
Dinner tin of tomato and chorizo soup with two small tortilla.
Not enough water at all today

Tried ginger green tea- not gonna happen. Not a tea fan anyway.... happy with just water.
Got some Spinach to make some soup. Fill the freezer.

Had some oatcakes with peanut butter and 2 squares of lindt 90%.
What a little cutie - that's the sort of meal my grandsons love but with a pile of sliced cucumber too. They love cucumber.
When you get your strips @shoesy24 there a 3 things in your food I'd have tested for a reaction to
1) rice - can't go near white rice and even brown rice sends me sky high. Way too carby. The low carb substitute most of us use is cauliflower rice. Readily available in supermarkets these days or dead easy to make. It is just grated cauli and only needs a quick stir fry plus you can jazz it up with all sorts - spring onion, ginger, ...
I actually prefer it to rice now.
2) 2 small tortillas - bit too carby for me again. Diet Doctor have an easy recipe for low carb tortilla and you can freeze them

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-tortillas

3) oat cakes - I love oat cakes but it's another where you'll need to check the effect on your BG when you get strips. You might be lucky and able to tolerate them but like porridge I was really sad when I found I couldn't. Oh the joys of what we can and can't manage to eat.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a little cutie - that's the sort of meal my grandsons love but with a pile of sliced cucumber too. They love cucumber.
When you get your strips @shoesy24 there a 3 things in your food I'd have tested for a reaction to
1) rice - can't go near white rice and even brown rice sends me sky high. Way too carby. The low carb substitute most of us use is cauliflower rice. Readily available in supermarkets these days or dead easy to make. It is just grated cauli and only needs a quick stir fry plus you can jazz it up with all sorts - spring onion, ginger, ...
I actually prefer it to rice now.
2) 2 small tortillas - bit too carby for me again. Diet Doctor have an easy recipe for low carb tortilla and you can freeze them

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-tortillas

3) oat cakes - I love oat cakes but it's another where you'll need to check the effect on your BG when you get strips. You might be lucky and able to tolerate them but like porridge I was really sad when I found I couldn't. Oh the joys of what we can and can't manage to eat.
Should have also mentioned watch tinned soups. They can have high carb/sugar contents lurking.
See you've acquired the Lindt 90% habit ? Got loads of that in my fridge. That was a lovely find that 2 squares actually lowered my BGs

Reactions: Chook and ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

This sounds really good, @maglil55. Can you get fresh rhubarb at this time of the year in Britain?

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Saturday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol.

Lunch: Nothing.

Snack: 4 squares of 85% chocolate.

Dinner: A cornsalad with Caesar's dressing, parmesan and chicken breast.

Late night snack: A homemade low-carb roll with mayonnaise, avocado and cheddar.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This sounds really good, @maglil55. Can you get fresh rhubarb at this time of the year in Britain?
Spotted it yesterday in M&S so I grabbed it. Think I've got it worked out with a mix of almond flour, flaxseed, coconut, butter and xylitol. Keep tasting it to make sure it tastes like raw crumble. Question is will it crisp? Going to chop a few walnuts and add that too.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So , that's a full week of Intermittent fasting over. The aim was to kick start my weight loss again having been stuck for weeks and it has. Bed last night on 4.8 FBG was 5.8. DP has only gone to 6.3 this morning before descending again. And....I lost 3lbs. So good all round. Family feeding day so I will have a breakfast (although it will be brunch by the time I get around to it) then back to fasting tomorrow.
B/L 2 M&S 97% pork chipolatos, 3 rashers crispy streaky bacon, fried egg. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
D. Usual campari and soda and a wee prosecco.
To start smoked salmon and prawns with Marie rose sauce, lemon , rocket and a smoked trout as well.
Beef stroganoff - have used Rick Stein's recipe for years. The carb eaters get the matchstick chips - I'm having celeriac chips.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/beefstroganoffwithma_71568

The stroganoff requires no adjustment although I use more paprika than that.

Dessert - the low carb rhubarb crumble experiment. I'm sweetening the rhubarb with xylitol (not too much we like it tart) and I've added some ginger for a little heat. I'll post the crumble mix later if it works. Served with cream (although the carb eaters can have custard if they want).

@ziggy_w the rhubarb was from Kent in the south of the country.

Reactions: ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Spotted it yesterday in M&S so I grabbed it. Think I've got it worked out with a mix of almond flour, flaxseed, coconut, butter and xylitol. Keep tasting it to make sure it tastes like raw crumble. Question is will it crisp? Going to chop a few walnuts and add that too.

Lucky you! I've been looking for it, but haven't seen any rhubarb in Germany for the last two months. I also like to juice rhubarb to give a little flavor to the water I am drinking. I have also been thinking about making rhubarb icecream, maybe along the lines of rhubarb-prosecco sorbet, but haven't tried it yet. Well, maybe next year!

Definitely sounds as if your crumble would crisp up nicely. When I was making regular crumble cake (before diagnosis), the ingredients were just flour, sugar, and butter -- so yours are much the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55