What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Really bad night with upset stomach so up at 3.20-4.30am then up again at 9.40am :(
Water
B: 1 Hovis low carb white burnt toast
L: Scotch broth
Tea
1 Wholemeal toast
T: 3 Hawaiian pizza slices (very naughty I know but just what I fancied)
Water
Tea

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A bit of catching up to do. Away at my Dad’s for a bit of a family gathering - my sister who lives in SE Asia is over and staying at his place, so I and my other sister and her daughter are visiting my Dad and his wife for a few days. House is not large enough so I’m staying in a hotel which means I get a bit of respite!

Friday

Breakfast - none
Lunch - cold meat, salad, avocado and cheese
Dinner - roast lamb, cabbage, broccoli, brussel sprouts

Today

Breakfast - none
Lunch -bag of Awfully Posh pork crackling, raspberries and cream
Dinner - roast lamb (again), cabbage, broccoli, brussel sprouts, roast onion, raspberries and cream

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Saturday ...

Breakfast: Two double espressos with xylitol and cream, one homemade low-carb peanut butter cookie.

Lunch: Nothing.

Early dinner: Some leftover roasted and filled Anaheim pepper in a tomato-cream sauce with a yoghurt-sesame-cucumber dip, three heaping tablespoons of low-carb chocolate mousse.

Later: One and a half glasses of red wine.

Edit to add: I also had a homemade low-carb roll with butter before dinner.

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Nothing exciting but better than carbs I was resorted to whilst waiting for a shop.
Yesterday
B: black coffee and insulin to combat liver dump til lunch.
L: fresh cooked chicken in 4 protein bread slices with mayo no butter.(chicken sandwich)
D: half a small thin pepperoni pizza topping only and 2 cod fillets with batter removed. It was really nice pepperoni and melted cheese on cod. Yummy.
S: 2 toasted protein bread slices with butter.
Drinks...... diet lemonade and water throughout the day.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I think I've come to the end of my current efforts at the ND - I lost 2lbs this week - making a total weightloss of 1st 7lbs (or 21lbs or 9.52 kgs) and I've lost 4 inches ( 10cm) off my waist measurement and I've dropped nearly two dress sizes. My BGs are slightly lower than they were at the start but not by much - they went very low in the first 10 days then (as is usual with me) my body adjusted and my fasting blood glucose has reverted back to its old numbers. :banghead:

I should, maybe, continue longer but I am slowly losing the will to live after 10 weeks of such a low calorie intake and not much to show for it in my BGs. :meh:

I'm having a couple of weeks of just normal low carb with healthy fats then I think I'm going to try a two weeks on / two weeks off diet approach as recommended by Jason Fung in his recent post here (towards the bottom when he mentions the MATADOR study) - > https://idmprogram.com/eat-fast-break-fast/
I think rotating diet helps me to but not a strict as you. My body just adjusts too.
I can see how some none diabetics relax their diet on weekends to maintain their weight.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I think rotating diet helps me to but not a strict as you. My body just adjusts too.
I can see how some none diabetics relax their diet on weekends to maintain their weight.

I've always gone a bit easier on my ND on the weekends - I don't drink during the week but I do enjoy a glass or three at the weekends. :oops:

I haven't yet decided what my 'two weeks on / two weeks off' diet will be yet - I'm just enjoying not having to eat 800 calories/ day at the moment. It will certainly be low carb (as will my weeks off) but probably 1000 calories/day. :) Maybe occasionally 800 calories- not sure. My body adjusts really quickly.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Saturday....

Breakfast: Split and toasted Lidl Roll, melted cheese and baked beans

Lunch: Shop bought snack size chicken salad - which turned out to be rather bigger than expected

Dinner: Steak and chicken wings, Nando's sauces, yet more salad, the last of our home grown tomatoes

Dessert: 50g Alpro hazlenut and chocolate icecream :)

Drinks: tea with breakfast and then sparkling mineral water until dinner then a glass or three of red wine

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Just realised from another thread that lchf caused my chest pains and palpitations because of cheese, cream and butter (dairy).
Milk in coffee makes me hiccup, currently.
Unfortunately ive just eaten soft cheese on protein bread toast.
I was eating alot of dairy with eggs galore.

We learn something new everyday. :) :) :)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Breakfast - none

Lunch - still at my Dad’s. Salami, Parma ham and cold lamb, salad with mayonnaise, raspberries and cream.

Dinner - bought from M&S for train journey home. Santini and Feta side salad with wafer thin roast beef. Followed by far too much Lindt 90% when I got home. The last of my supply and I’m going to stop stocking it for a while.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sunday...

Breakfast: Toasted Lidl protein roll, melted cheese and half a tin of baked beans

Lunch: Nothing

Dinner: Roast beef, small amounts of roast parsnip, glazed carrots, broad beans and cauliflower cheese, filled up my plate with runner beans and brussel sprouts - Dessert: 50g Alpro hazlenut and chocolate ice cream

Drinks: decaff tea with soya milk until lunch time, then sparkling mineral water until dinner then several glasses of red wine

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cue Twilight Zone music....

So, yesterday, after nearly eleven long weeks on the Newcastle Diet, Mr Chook decided to treat me to some Lindt chocolate - and I snapped off a square, put it in my mouth anticipating bliss..... and I didn't like it - didn't like the flavour of chocolate!! It wasn't that it was too bitter or too sweet. I didn't like the texture either. Heartbroken :arghh: I used to love a square or two of Lindt 90% or 75%... :confused::confused::confused:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday
B: bacon and mushroom omelette with spinach and raw tomato wilting on the top
S: the smallest 'signature' hot choc that Starbucks do. A new branch has opened locally and my friend wanted to go. Since I can't drink coffee, or tea, and there is only so much herb tea a girl can stand, I went for the choc. Not particularly impressed. Could hardly taste the choc, so basically it was a small (150ml?) mug of light brown hot milk.
L: at around 4pm, a bowl of oomi noodles and pulled pork with coleslaw and green salad.
D: a mug of homemade chicken bone broth with a smidge of curry paste and a dash of cream in it.

I've been a bit dismayed at my blood glucose the last couple of days - despite VLC I have been hovering in the 7s and 8s after the same food that would have had me in the 6s a few weeks ago.

Going to watch this carefully, and if necessary, cut out the few GF carbs that I have been having lately.
Either that, or up the exercise a bit, but I REALLY don't want to have to do that. Neither the dogs nor my knees want to walk more.

Reactions: ziggy_w and mo53

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Very glad to see the end of today. Started off with ENORMOUS liver dump - up to 7: haven’t seen one of those in ages. Took hours to come down to my normal levels - not helped by stressful day at work, which included one of ‘those conversations’ with a team member who sent an inappropriate email not just to me, but to my boss....

Anyway, to get back on topic, a fasting day to try and get back on track after my weekend away: stuck to low carb at my Dad’s, but quantities were an issue as he just puts stuff out on the table and it’s very easy to over indulge.

So no breakfast or lunch.

Dinner was marinated chicken (marinade of cream, garlic, onions, herbs) with cauliflower cheese followed by raspberries and cream.

Two extra portions of cauliflower cheese made, along with a couple of small portions of chocolate chia pudding for later in the week.

Reactions: Chook and heh

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tea
B: Mushrooms & egg on 2 wholemeal toast
L: Leftover Scouse, melon slices, SF jelly
4ish: Nature Valley salted caramel protein bar
T: Tilda mushroom rice & hunter's chicken, 2 glasses of red vino
Tea throughout the day.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sunday ...

Breakfast: Two double espressos with cream and xylitol.

Lunch: Leftover roasted and stuffed Anaheim peppers with tomato-cream sauce. Some roasted zucchini chips and some Northsea shrimps.

Dinner: Swiss chard with prawns, a low-carb roll with butter. A glass and a half of red wine.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Monday ...

Breakfast: Two double espressos with milk and xylitol.

Lunch: Nothing.

Snack: About 10 almonds.

Dinner: Swiss chard with prawns, a heaping tablespoon of hummus, some zucchini chips, a piece of homemade low-carb flatbread with butter, two heaping table spoons of homemade low-carb mousse au chocolat with two table spoons of whipped cream. A glass of red wine.