What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
7 breakfast sausages
4 garlic and herb pepperonis
diet hot chocolate with heavy cream

how can i get some veggies in here
without going over my goal--
20-30 g carbs

How many carbs in what you’ve already eaten? Processed meat tends to have more carbs than fresh meat.

I eat 20g or less carbs a day and there is plenty of room for above ground veggies/salad.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all - 23/1 again - well apart from a small cheat! My husband got the cheese board out at lunchtime and the smell of the Stilton! Ended up giving in to about 2oz to go with my coffee could have been worse as at least no impact on bg which was 4.4 on waking and still 4.4 before dinner.
Dinner chicken and spinach curry with half a Lidl roll fried in butter my Saturday night regular. Planning gin and soda later and my usual 100% coco choc buttons.....
I thought I’d stick with 23/1 until Tuesday as going to mums for a couple of days. As an 87 year old diabetic with rapidly deteriorating kidneys she dosent believe any of my nonsense as she calls it. If you take Metformin you need carbs and that’s what they are for so you can a range of stuff! Even though I’m not on them any more. She’s already bought a strawberry trifle as she thought I’d like it ............. I do stay strong diet wise but it’s so stressful dealing with the constant wrong food being pushed at me. Stress tends to put my bg up!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Still on one meal a day so no breakfast or lunch.

Dinner was a can of wild Alaskan salmon with mayonnaise and baby leaf spinach/rocket salad with a couple of baby plum tomatoes. Followed up with a Lidl protein roll with butter and almond butter and 5 Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons: I found them @shelley262 !

Reactions: ziggy_w

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Still on one meal a day so no breakfast or lunch lunch.

Dinner was a can of wild Alaskan salmon with mayonnaise and baby leaf spinach/rocket salad with a couple of baby plum tomatoes. Followed up with a Lidl protein roll with butter and almond butter and 5 Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons: I found them @shelley262 !
Did you like the buttons?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes! And I’m far less likely to over eat them than the Lindt 90%. When I first started eating that I could only manage 1 square. Now I could easily eat the whole bar.
Pleased I find them easier to limit and at 0.2g of carb per button according to my maths it makes it easier to build them in

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
How many carbs in what you’ve already eaten? Processed meat tends to have more carbs than fresh meat.

I eat 20g or less carbs a day and there is plenty of room for above ground veggies/salad.

wow myfitnesspal says i already had 43 grams carbs
which i know is right because i put those foods in
myself from the labels

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
myself from the labels

but am i doomed to just lettuce
as i dont like it

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
myself from the labels

I see you are in Canada. Are carbs calculated in the same way as in the US? Are your 43 grams of carbs net carbs? It sounds a bit high, even for processed meats although I guess the diet hot chocolate might have some hidden carbs?

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I see you are in Canada. Are carbs calculated in the same way as in the US? Are your 43 grams of carbs net carbs? It sounds a bit high, even for processed meats although I guess the diet hot chocolate might have some hidden carbs?

i dont know if we do it different from the US
i found my error in that i logged in too many pepperonis
it should be only 31 grams total
4 for each pepperoni 1 for each sausage and 7 for the hot
chocolate and 1 for the cream
so maybe using meat that isnt processed would give
me room for non lettuce veggies?
cant cut out that hot chocolate (its all thats left that i like
since diagnosis)
and yes they are net carbs

Arlmy

B one boiled egg white, one small high protein pancake , 3 cups of tea with ss milk
L baked salmon with green peas cauliflower,two tbs fried vegetable brown rice, lettuce - large handful tossed in vinegar and olive oil

Dinner - yellow lentil sweet potato carrot onion and mushroom soup ,small helping of peppered mackerel

Two oat crackers with home made humous
I am now going to have a chia pudding made with single cream and vanilla

I might make some almond cookies later

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
11am bacon, scram egg and an open mushroom
6pm most of a lamb henry
2 squares 70% choc

(Henrys are small cuts of shoulder)

There may be kefir later

I’ve now reached the point where i don’t see veg as food.
Totally surreal! I always find it amazing how these switches flip in the head.
My last couple of attempts at veg were gastrically uncomfortable, and now I’m a little nervous. Lol. Going to do a stew with tinned toms and a little onion, to test the water.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a bit behind again - a lot going on.
Firstly, congratulations to @shelley262 and @Goonergal on the weight loss. Really well done. So catch up.
Friday Bed 4.6 FBG 4.9
B. Went back to my DD no bread breakfast sandwich. It's quick , easy and I like it. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing was at swimming and Aqua Fit.
D. Roast chicken breast and celeriac chips.
Went to bed on 4.4 FBG this morning was 3.9. I had a lot of 3's yesterday and today was much the same. That's allowing for the Libre difference. I've been doing a lot of stabs to make sure of the readings and it really is high 3's.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Used last slice of GF black pudding , 2 herta chicken frankenfurter, rasher of back bacon and a fried egg.
D. Another campari and soda. Slice ox tongue , lean corned beef and a bit of last night's roast chicken. Lettuce, 3 Santini tomatoes, cucumber, 4 mozzarella pearls, roasted pepper and courgette, fresh anchovies, 1/2 avocado - sounds a lot but it wasn't.
2 bits Lindt 90%. Even after that I'm at 4.4

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all.

Friday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol. Two wiener sausages with low-carb ketchup and mustard.

Lunch: Nothing.

Snack: A few olives, about 5 squares of 85% chocolate throughout the day.

Dinner: A cornsalad with Caesar's dressing, parmesan and fried mushrooms. Half a DD keto roll with chicken liver pate.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Saturday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol. Scrambled eggs with mushrooms and fennel. Canned tuna mixed with celery and mayonnaise, an avocado.

Lunch: Nothing.

Snack: A double decaffeinated espresso with a bit of cream and xylitol. Two squares of 85% chocolate.

Dinner: An entrecote with guacamole, a few olives, some cheese and two glasses of red wine.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 3.4 FBG 3.6. My fingers are getting sore checking this. At least I know I'll come up a bit today as I'll have an alcoholic drink and haggis.
B. DD no bread breakfast sandwich and Tassimo Americano Grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing
D. Campari and soda and a wee prosecco. Smoked salmon with king prawns and Marie rose. Haggis and Neeps (will make cauliflower mash if I can be bothered). A slightly adapted cranachan. ( whipped cream flavoured with a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Stir gently through fresh raspberries. Spread some oats/spelt on greaseproof on a baking tray and mix through a granulated sweetener. Bake it in an oven until the sweetener caramelises, allow to cool then give it a quick blitz. Don't reduce it to powder you just want to break it up a bit. Mix some of this in at the last minute and sprinkle some on top. Don't go mad , this is where the carbs are although fibre is high. It's also rather nice with a measure of Jack Daniels Honey liqueur through it.)