What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream (2 tsp) washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: 2 scrambled eggs with one slice of HiLo toast and Marmite followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid-afternoon: Hartleys 10cal jelly and black coffee.
Dinner: roast chicken, a tiny roast spud and mixed veggies followed by strawberries and a small scoop of choc and hazelnut Oppo.

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
Why not change to low carb bread? Livlife is only 3.8g of carb per slice and would bring it down a lot? I get it from Waitrose and really like it.
I will defo look out for it next time I’m in that’s good burgen is 9. Es I have a problem with bread. Was tryin to keep under 100 gr a day but reading here see that it needs to be lower thanks for the tip been looking for low carb bread or crackers for ages . Goin to the docs on Tuesday and the diabetic education thing on Wednesday for the first time .. hope to find out what my readings were on diagnosis and what they are now 3 weeks in hoping they are down so can stay on 1 Met a day . Then try to get them down low enough to be meds free . But I think I will need to go lower than I have been . It’s a learning curve . But I will get there

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3

I used to be such a Costa fan, but I’ve boycotted them now. They did salads for about six weeks in the summer but now as you say there’s no low carb options for lunch. I’ve defected to Prèt a Manger, they have salads and some soups that are suitable, plus they do a chocolate chia pudding and a vegan coconut bar which are also low carb. Their nutritional info on their website is brilliant and they also have the carb counts on the shelf edge labels.

Reactions: ziggy_w

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3

I used to be such a Costa fan, but I’ve boycotted them now. They did salads for about six weeks in the summer but now as you say there’s no low carb options for lunch. I’ve defected to Prèt a Manger, they have salads and some soups that are suitable, plus they do a chocolate chia pudding and a vegan coconut bar which are also low carb. Their nutritional info on their website is brilliant and they also have the carb counts on the shelf edge labels.

Ha! This is exactly what I’ve done!
A new Pret opened near me last week and I couldn’t be happier. I hadn’t clocked their puds though - even better.

Another bonus with Pret is that their filter coffee is 99p AND you get 50p off if you take a reusable cup - only 25p off at Costa and its more expensive to begin with - oh and they’re happy to give me cream in the coffee too.
Great place.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ha! This is exactly what I’ve done!
A new Pret opened near me last week and I couldn’t be happier. I hadn’t clocked their puds though - even better.

Another bonus with Pret is that their filter coffee is 99p AND you get 50p off if you take a reusable cup - only 25p off at Costa and its more expensive to begin with - oh and they’re happy to give me cream in the coffee too.
Great place.

GMTA! Patisserie Valerie is doable too, bit of a French theme going on here!) I’ve asked for eggs Royal or Benedict, with mushrooms in place of the muffins. They’ve done it at a couple of branches I’ve been to without quibbling.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w glad you are feeling better

@shelley262 and @maglil55 in the M&S near me (admittedly a very large one), while the main cafe is very carb heavy, they have a hot food counter in the food hall serving rotisserie chicken, veg and salad (among other things). There are tables where you can sit and eat. Haven’t tried it yet, ut on my list of possibles for when I’m out and about.

Still sticking to zero carb. Today’s menu was:

Breakfast - none

Lunch - one boiled egg, 20g Double Gloucester cheese and a small tin of wild Alaskan salmon with mayonnaise.

Dinner - chicken wings coated in Parmesan. Managed to get more cheese on this time and added some garlic salt to increase crispness and flavour. Probably still need a bit more of each. Also prepared a small lamb chop found at the bottom of the freezer, but didn’t need more than a mouthful of that. Finished with 5 Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons.

Flat is now full of a delicious chocolate smell as I’ve made 2 chocolate olive oil cakes to take to work for my department as an early Easter gift.

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
GMTA! Patisserie Valerie is doable too, bit of a French theme going on here!) I’ve asked for eggs Royal or Benedict, with mushrooms in place of the muffins. They’ve done it at a couple of branches I’ve been to without quibbling.

Alas! no Patisserie Valerie near me sadly, but good to know for when I’m in town.

Mufflana

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B. nothing as not hungry
2pm . Gouda, butter and marmite
D. Bunless cheese, bacon and sausage patties.2 patties were more than enough with some melted cheese and one rasher of streaky bacon, added a little butter to up the good fats.
Finished with one square of 85% choc melted into a little cream.....so stuffed right now!

The bad news is that the xrays etc came back and the arthritis is in both hips...so young and too weighty for surgery even though right one is grinding....so I need to KCKO and get older!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I will defo look out for it next time I’m in that’s good burgen is 9. Es I have a problem with bread. Was tryin to keep under 100 gr a day but reading here see that it needs to be lower thanks for the tip been looking for low carb bread or crackers for ages . Goin to the docs on Tuesday and the diabetic education thing on Wednesday for the first time .. hope to find out what my readings were on diagnosis and what they are now 3 weeks in hoping they are down so can stay on 1 Met a day . Then try to get them down low enough to be meds free . But I think I will need to go lower than I have been . It’s a learning curve . But I will get there
Good luck on Tuesday let us know how you get on.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Why not change to low carb bread? Livlife is only 3.8g of carb per slice and would bring it down a lot? I get it from Waitrose and really like it.
Thanks for the Livlife tip, I'd never heard of it

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Decaf coffee with semi-skimmed milk.
Diet lemonade
B: porridge as edging on a hypo.
L: cheese then peanut butter on celery sticks.
Diet lemonade
D: beef cubes and onion fried in lard.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Gather it’s only stocked by larger Waitrose shops but you can also get it delivered by Ocado if you ever use them for online shopping / delivery.
Thanks, there's one near me so I'll pop in and have a look. Funnily enough I was given a gift card for Waitrose probably too much just to spend on bread and Oppo

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
Snack- woke at 1 am and was hungry 1 hr later so had a piece of avocado lime cheesecake (not great but it's got to go)
B- coffee w/cream, 2 egg cheese ham mushroom omelette, 1 cocktail tomato.
L- ham sandwich on LC roll, coleslaw
D- out for dinner at Famous Dave's (ribs, chicken, pulled pork, coleslaw, 1/2 cob of corn)

Lots of food but my daily total is at 40g net carbs so pretty good.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lovely day
Breakfast: slice of cold gammon
Lunch: Small Thali and only ate half the rice
Supper: cold gammon and salad, Oppo vanilla and a bite of Llokum which I spat out

What is Llokum?

For your gift voucher, Waitrose also stock Willie’s Pure Gold 100% Cacao which is pretty tasty. Quite often on offer.