What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm so glad my days of house staging/viewings are over. You ended up afraid to 'live' in your own home. I know exactly what you mean about the constant cleaning. The one good thing with moving house is the clear out you have. Must admit though living in the house while building an extension was worse than moving house.

I’m just going to have to focus on the exercise I’m doing with all this extra housework.
Had our last curry and fish meals last week - that’s another irritating thing: having to be a ‘no cooking smells’ zone.

You’re right about the clear out though, feels good.

Reactions: Goonergal

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you think you are being overly hard on yourself? To me, so long as I am into non-diabetic figures, that’s fine or am I just being naive?
I’m like you I like to see my numbers in the “normal” range as often as possible, I am ok if the occasional one falls in pre diabetic range but definitely don’t like seeing them any higher :nailbiting:

Reactions: Goonergal and DJC3

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Strange day today food wise, still feeling like I’m in holiday mode plus spent the day seeing my daughters and grandchildren.
Breakfast I tried Hilo bread from Sainsbury’s as I didn’t have any livlife, 2 slices toasted spread with peanut butter and my daily indulgence of a cappuccino
Mid morning coffee and an Adonis blondie bar
Lunch I had a packet of pork scratchings cheese and 2 small pieces of French stick, my grandson bought them to me on a plate and the temptation was too much :)
This evening I had an Indian curry no rice or naan bread

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you think you are being overly hard on yourself? To me, so long as I am into non-diabetic figures, that’s fine or am I just being naive?
I would be inclined to agree but recently my data suggests I can manage this better so I don't like seeing my standards slip without a fight/ exploring why. Non diabetic figures were my target initially but as I have used this site more my expectations have also changed. Reading other people's journeys and gaining ideas has made me less inclined to rest on my laurels. I seem to have found a sweet spot and want to keep there.

Last edited:
Reactions: jayney27 and DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: vanillapie

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Search no more. I meant to give you the link. I've made a few of these. The chicken pot pie more than once. It's not pastry but it is a very tasty substitute. You'll see some familiar sites in the list but I held onto this as it brought all the links together.

https://healthylivinginbodyandmind.com/24-fathead-cheese-dough-recipes-low-carb-gluten-free/

This is an amazing list, thank you so much for sharing! Two slices of the Fathead pizza had a negligible effect on my sugars so I will absolutely be trying some of these! :)

memememeiii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dunno. Strange question.
Hi, I worked night shifts for nearly 20yrs before I took early retirement in 2016. Nothing I can do about it now but I feel that that may be why I developed type 2. Here’s an interesting read:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/shift-work.html
I'd read about that, too, as I used to volunteer at Samaritans and was hugely aware of what it was doing to my eating habits when on an overnight shift.

Reactions: Rachox

memememeiii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dunno. Strange question.
My day so far...and then yesterday. I am trying to do a modified Newcastle University approach - 600-700 calories per day for 8 weeks, but food based. I'm monitoring. Interestingly, after a day of high numbers, and mind you I have started a new medication also (Sitagliptin)...today numbers dropped down in the 80's range, rather than well over 100. I've noticed that if I get HUNGRY, and I mean really hungry, my blood sugar is low the next day, but not hypoglycemic or anything.

I live in the Middle East where the weather is hot, so these are very much suited to the temperatures here at present. On a rainy day in England, I'd struggle to keep with cold salads, etc. But this hasn't made me feel deprived at all...but certainly very hungry by bedtime. I dropped 1.5 lbs overnight.

I use Sparkpeople.com to track my diet, exercise, and readings...in case you're wondering. An Egyptian friend told me about it. Very helpful and free.

Yesterday...

Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 2.15.56 PM.png

Today:

Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 2.21.11 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 2.15.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 2.15.24 PM.png
    78.3 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today was a day of active rest - will end up approx 11k steps. OMAD but a good one - menu below. I love a big joint of pork with lots of crackling. This one was huge and only £8 - felt like **** Turpin at the checkout :) ( To be honest I would be much happier and much less ashamed serivng this for Christmas dinner than the £120+ Copas turkeys we have had) :

B: 2 mugs Tea with almond milk: Mug decaf instant coffee with double cream
MMS: 2 pint mugs tea with homemade almond milk
L: 2 pint mugs tea with homemade almond milk;
MAS: Niet
D: Pork; Roast veg - (tomatoes; peppers; beetroot; mushrooms); cabbage; Rioja ; Coffee with a decent slug of Metaxa and double cream (I also love ending a good meal that way). BG will be interesting but one meal a day like this will see me right - apologies Guy

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
23/1 fasting day today so no breakfast or lunch and an indulgent dinner:

- cod loin wrapped in Serrano ham and baked with a side of cauliflower cheese followed by a “scone” (half a Lidl protein roll) with clotted cream and a small amount (about one third of a portion) of diet doctor raspberry jam - with thanks to @Rachox for pointing out the recipe. Topped off with 4 squares Lindt 90%.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/instant-low-carb-raspberry-jam

3EAF1DDC-01B5-4BAD-8CC2-347576B30B6D.jpeg

Reactions: maglil55

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
23/1 fasting day today so no breakfast or lunch and an indulgent dinner:

- cod loin wrapped in Serrano ham and baked with a side of cauliflower cheese followed by a “scone” (half a Lidl protein roll) with clotted cream and a small amount (about one third of a portion) of diet doctor raspberry jam - with thanks to @Rachox for pointing out the recipe. Topped off with 4 squares Lindt 90%.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/instant-low-carb-raspberry-jam

View attachment 26551
Menu looks good - how is the dizziness etc from yesterday?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for asking. Absolutely fine today erred on the side of caution and ditched planned gym visit and generally took it easy.

Your lot turned the game around today.
Oh yes! I still think Poch is not a winner and Lamela is a waste of space :) Glad you are feeling better - take care.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am in need of a darkened room and a bottle of vodka. Bed 7.5 FBG 7. BGs fine now but that's because grandsons are back home. No 1 was fine on his own but having got No 2 from his party to go to swimming the nightmare started. I'm frazzled.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. Slice of Hovis lower carb Seeded with Philly and ox tongue.
L. Nothing
D. Chicken breast, lettuce , tomatoes, boiled egg, 1/2 avocado, coronation coleslaw, 2 Walnuts, mozzarella pearls.
Campari and Soda and a Prosecco - I need it!
Oh and a diet coke sadly not laced with vodka.

Reactions: DJC3

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
10am out for brekkie, scram egg and smoked salmon. Excellent portion.
2pm chunks of cheese, a rollmop and one baby pepper stuffed with feta the size of a large marble
7pm belly pork

Have just activated a Libre sensor. It has been at least 3 months since the last one, and I just want to check what is happening.

Tonight’s test will be a small blob of Halo. All in the interest of science, you understand. :D

Last edited:

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
L: low carb bagel filled with chicken and bacon mayonnaise
D: Picking up the other half from a weekend away later so will probably end up stopping at McDonalds. Planning on a bunless double cheeseburger.
Snacks: Adonis brownie
And.... an almond milk mocha.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Everyone seems to have had good days. Glad you can relax a bit now @maglil55 and well done for not cracking the vodka bottle.
Glad you are feeling ok today @Goonergal and @ianpspurs you seem back to your old self - amazing what a good feast does for ones mood.

As I woke to a ridiculously high fbg (7.1 or 6.6 depending on which finger I believed) skipped breakfast.

Lunch out: smoked mackerel nicoise without dressing but with 2 small slices new potato.
Roast turkey, chipolata cauli cheese and broccoli 1small roast spud and gravy which was served already on the dinner ( classy). I gave all except that one spud to Mr C. Wish I’d not eaten it as I ended up with pp bg of 7.5. That could have been from flour in the gravy or cheese sauce I guess though.
Glass of shiraz.

This evening 1/2 avocado with prawns and mayo

I am off to Oxford tomorrow for my annual get together with old college chums. We go to a different city each year and normally eat our weight in cake over 2 days. They know I’m not eating cake now but I’m sure there will be challenges. I don’t want them to feel awkward, or that they can’t have cake because I’m not.

Will post back here Wed night I expect.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Everyone seems to have had good days. Glad you can relax a bit now @maglil55 and well done for not cracking the vodka bottle.
Glad you are feeling ok today @Goonergal and @ianpspurs you seem back to your old self - amazing what a good feast does for ones mood.

As I woke to a ridiculously high fbg (7.1 or 6.6 depending on which finger I believed) skipped breakfast.

Lunch out: smoked mackerel nicoise without dressing but with 2 small slices new potato.
Roast turkey, chipolata cauli cheese and broccoli 1small roast spud and gravy which was served already on the dinner ( classy). I gave all except that one spud to Mr C. Wish I’d not eaten it as I ended up with pp bg of 7.5. That could have been from flour in the gravy or cheese sauce I guess though.
Glass of shiraz.

This evening 1/2 avocado with prawns and mayo

I am off to Oxford tomorrow for my annual get together with old college chums. We go to a different city each year and normally eat our weight in cake over 2 days. They know I’m not eating cake now but I’m sure there will be challenges. I don’t want them to feel awkward, or that they can’t have cake because I’m not.

Will post back here Wed night I expect.
We all seem to have days where we get “un welcome highs” hopefully they are few and far between. I’m sure your friends will understand and support you in you no cake eating decisions. Enjoy your get together.

Reactions: ianpspurs