What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That's reassuring. I suppose I shouldn't be too influenced by one bad experience. After all, I have had disappointing coffee made in a cafetière.
I think hot plates are the death of good filter coffee. When out at cafes have had bad experiences- some taste like they have been there for ages sitting. I’ve purchased a filter machine with no hot plate instead the jug itself is insulated so keeping it warm both while it brews and for later drinking! This doesn’t get the stewed taste that I’ve had out. Quality and strength of coffee also key I believe.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

connie104

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope you guys don’t mind me commenting on here as I’ve just restarted my low carb diet as just got latest bloods back at 46 a rise from 37 last year !
I know I’ve been naughty letting things slip so I’m now back and full of enthusiasm to prove the DSN wrong saying I need to go back on meds if the rise continues.
On a positive I made janeys27 halloumi and bacon thingys and they were delicious had Two with an avocado, onion and tomato salad tonight and have two left for lunch tomorrow.
I will keep reading this thread for ideas for meals etc and throw in the odd comment now and again

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all, we seem to have finally had the same weather most of you have been having. It was hot here by the time I had walked the dogs for an hour at 9.00 instead of 10.30 or later the rest of the week. I think today was LC and enjoyable so on a one day at a time basis today was good. Menu below:

6.00 - 730: 2 x 1.5 pint mugs tea with almond milk
9,00 : after 1 hr walk 1 Pint tea with almond milk
10.30: Halloumi wrapped in streaky bacon; Season ending? Asparagus (think its late but still getting enough for this or an omlette) 1 vine tomato; French vanilla filter coffee with double cream; - Halloumi and bacon lovely idea for late breakfast - thanks jayney27
13.20: Lemon Green tea 2 pints over 1.5 hrs
15.00 : Football and h/m high fibre chocolate bar 2 pints water
18.30: Salmon fillet; Avocado; salad with ACV and Olive Oil dressing well sprinkled with Chia seeds and Psyllium husk powder; Marinated garlic cloves and shalots.
21.00: Possibly - Brewdog Nanny State beer 3 gms carb per can/bottle My craft beer swigging son says these are good/best low alcohol beers, (Brewdog quite trendy in certain circles)
Welcome @connie104

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope you guys don’t mind me commenting on here as I’ve just restarted my low carb diet as just got latest bloods back at 46 a rise from 37 last year !
I know I’ve been naughty letting things slip so I’m now back and full of enthusiasm to prove the DSN wrong saying I need to go back on meds if the rise continues.
On a positive I made janeys27 halloumi and bacon thingys and they were delicious had Two with an avocado, onion and tomato salad tonight and have two left for lunch tomorrow.
I will keep reading this thread for ideas for meals etc and throw in the odd comment now and again
Welcome - I have a double portion of halloumi sitting waiting to make more of the thingies. Very addictive (As is the corned beef eggy thingy but it's a bit too warm for that currently).

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi yes love the filter coffee. Use a strong coffee and really think flavour is similar. I really can’t drink instant so very happy with this solution. Re filter papers they are unbleached ones I buy and currently adding to compost as hoping they are biodegradable!

I also compost my filter papers, but agree they can seem expensive. I must search Amazon for cheaper ones - where do you get yours @shelley262 ?
I too tried cutting out coffee as I was drinking such a lot and it’d give me a tummy ache ( and other consequences) sometimes. I find its ok if I just have it at mealtimes.
I dont really miss pasta, bread potatoes etc but coffee with cream seems such a treat, it would be such a shame to give it up too. I wholeheartedly agree @Alexandra100

Reactions: ianpspurs

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 what is the corned beef eggy thingy please?
What? You haven't encountered the corned beef eggy thingy yet? @Brunneria started it and there has been a few variations. Incredibly filling. My latest version is 'mexicanised' as I like heat.

I use one of these tiny frying pans to make it. Got them in Lidl.

For 1 person.

1/2 an onion chopped (use what you like. I use the white onion mostly)
1 tablespoon chopped pepper whatever colour you want red? Yellow? Doesn't matter
Tablespoon chopped chorizo
4 or 5 chopped small tomatoes
2 slices corned beef
1 large egg
Handful of grated mozzarella
Paprika
Hot sauce
Parsley
Wee dash double cream

The end 4 ingredients are optional.

Lightly fry the onion and chopped pepper in the mini frying pan in a little butter , olive oil or both. You just want to soften it. I also add paprika and hot sauce to taste at this stage.
When softened add the chorizo and the tomatoes and cook gently until they break down.
Break up the slices of corned beef and add that to the pan. Mix through.

While this is going on I also have my grill on heating.

Make a well in the centre of the pan and crack the egg into in. I keep the pan on the heat until the egg white starts to cook. I then add a dash of double cream and a handful of grated mozzarella on top and pop it under the grill until the cheese is nice and bubbly. Sprinkle on a little chopped parsley and enjoy.

I've also added a few cooked kidney beans to it at times. It's a recipe that lends itself to variation.
I've got a photo of it somewhere on this thread.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What? You haven't encountered the corned beef eggy thingy yet? @Brunneria started it and there has been a few variations. Incredibly filling. My latest version is 'mexicanised' as I like heat. t's a recipe that lends itself to variation.
I've got a photo of it somewhere on this thread.
Thanks @maglil55. A corned beef hash with chorizo, tomatoes and cheese sounds as though it was designed with me in mind. Could be appearing on a plate near me soon. :)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope everyone’s had a lovely day in the sun.
Welcome to the thread @connie104

B: coconut porridge with 2 strawberries and a spoonful of cream.

L: Salmon fillet with asparagus avocado and watercress, homemade mayo. The salmon tasted v sweet and I realised I’d accidentally picked up a ‘honey roast’ pack! Only 3.5g carbs and didn’t have too much of an effect on bg but I’m still amazed at how my tastes have changed, I really didn’t enjoy it much it seemed unnecessarily sweet.
Found enough raspberries in the garden to make the DD raspberry chia jam and had a dollop of this with the M&S ‘plain soya pot’ yoghurt thing. It did make a difference and I quite enjoyed it, think I’m getting used to the taste now, like almond milk I didn’t use to like. At only 1g carb per 100ml it’s v carb friendly. ( I’ve also used it in choc chia pud and it gives a good creamy texture)

D: slow cooked pork belly and celeriac dauphinoise with a lovely glass of Cotes du Rhone.
Can’t complain!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Found it - it was ham and avocado ( although chicken and avocado may become tomorrow's Oopsie sandwich for lunch).
The other is the well used cheesy corned beef thingy.
8bf88eebe4286e74458d5fe6fabcb7f4.jpg
42619e6107c4be0b74e97ed40922673c.jpg
@ianpspurs - the corned beef thingy picture was on page 1314 with the Oopsie sandwich.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope everyone’s had a lovely day in the sun.
Welcome to the thread @connie104

B: coconut porridge with 2 strawberries and a spoonful of cream.

L: Salmon fillet with asparagus avocado and watercress, homemade mayo. The salmon tasted v sweet and I realised I’d accidentally picked up a ‘honey roast’ pack! Only 3.5g carbs and didn’t have too much of an effect on bg but I’m still amazed at how my tastes have changed, I really didn’t enjoy it much it seemed unnecessarily sweet.
Found enough raspberries in the garden to make the DD raspberry chia jam and had a dollop of this with the M&S ‘plain soya pot’ yoghurt thing. It did make a difference and I quite enjoyed it, think I’m getting used to the taste now, like almond milk I didn’t use to like. At only 1g carb per 100ml it’s v carb friendly. ( I’ve also used it in choc chia pud and it gives a good creamy texture)

D: slow cooked pork belly and celeriac dauphinoise with a lovely glass of Cotes du Rhone.
Can’t complain!
I'm making celeriac dauphinoise tomorrow.

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm making celeriac dauphinoise tomorrow.
That has given me an idea i hadn't tried celriac boulengere. That was just about my favourite way of having potatoes. Maybe have to wait for it to cool down but a real goer. Just a shame I haven't grown any celeriac this year but all good supermarkets, and some bad ones, sell them :) @DJC3 Your menu sounds very tasty. Slow cooked pork belly in the sous vide has become a favourite of ours - 10 - 11 hours but well worth it imho

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a 2 day catch up now. Bed on Thursday 5.1 FBG 5.3. Still didn't feel much like eating but was going swimming with No 1 grandson so had to eat something.

B. 2 scrambled eggs
L. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream
D. Finally got the right story about sister and it was an over reaction thankfully. I needed a drink though after 2 days of worry.
Beef teriyaki with sliced green pepper and onion with Oomi noodles. Then the mistakes - thistley cross cider (I'd run out of prosecco) halo top (too much) with 4 strawberries. Ate way too late as well.

Result? Bed 9.2 but dropping FBG 5.6 and I've been fine all day.

B. Shopping day so had to eat something. Last bit of GF black pudding , rasher back bacon and a fried egg. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing. Intended to bake as I was inspired by @DJC3 s cooking fest but son wanted to go shopping too.
D. Usual cold meats - ox tongue, roast pork leg, chicken tikka slice, lettuce, 3 mini plum tomatoes, remains of the mini mozzarella pearls and 6 sweet potato chips. Did not succumb to thistly cross tonight and prosecco is restocked.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @maglil55 Been thinking about pimping that idea with lots of mushroom/2 very large portobello mushrooms and cooking the egg in the centre of an avocado.
I've done a thing with avocado before.

Split and peel the avocado and make the hollow large enough to take a poached egg. Poach an egg , transfer it to the hollow in the avocado, sandwich together and wrap in parma ham or streaky bacon. Fry until crispy on outside and serve.

I've been wondering whether the avocado would coat in the low carb crumb mix of ground pork scratching and parmesan but you need a way to keep the 2 halves together. It would be a kind of avocado scotch egg.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
. Did not succumb to thistly cross tonight and prosecco is restocked.
Never heard of Thistley Cross cider but we still have 5 litres of cider we made in 2016. 2 sons tasted some last Sunday and said it was very pleasant. @maglil55 the avocado scotch egg has got me thinking now. Some very good recipe ideas tonight. As regards cider absolute bumper apple crop this year more than the time we made 10 gals cider. Will make apple cider vinegar but not 10 gals. Can't sell them as about 20 yards up the road a grower who has been selling them for 30+ years has a stall :banghead:

Last edited:
Reactions: jayney27 and DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the thread @connie104!
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: Skinny Café pancakes, bacon and SF maple syrup.
Mid afternoon: orange chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner, small full English, bacon, fried egg, sausage, salad (in place of baked beans) and one hash brown at Hungry Horse. SF Jelly and cream when we got home.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That has given me an idea i hadn't tried celriac boulengere. That was just about my favourite way of having potatoes. Maybe have to wait for it to cool down but a real goer. Just a shame I haven't grown any celeriac this year but all good supermarkets, and some bad ones, sell them :) @DJC3 Your menu sounds very tasty. Slow cooked pork belly in the sous vide has become a favourite of ours - 10 - 11 hours but well worth it imho
You're right - that will work. Don't know why I didn't think of it. There is the Welsh version as well which instead of using stock you coat each slice with melted butter before layering with the softened onions and herbs. That will work too.