What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the lodough info.
Have ordered some.
They state they use GF wheat fibre, and take serious measures against gluten cross contamination.

Will try one piece and see:nailbiting:, but i suspect Mr B will eat the rest.
It was the pics of the lodough recipes for pies, pizza and pockets that did it. He will love them!

Out for brekkie with friend. In a pub garden. Omelette with bacon and mushroom. With 2 pints iced water.
Then this evening, red mince done in the cauldron, with goatsmilk yog to follow.

Too hot today! Had lots of cleaning and garden to do today, because i wanted it out of the way. Only have the oomph to work and dogwalk in this heat (walks are in the eve cool). So bust a gut today to get the house/garden sorted for the week so i don’t have to bother with that too. Lots of weeds, and stripping dead leaves from the yucca. Just daily watering left.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My wild celebration turned out to be a 10 cal jelly and extra thick jersey double cream at 9.45 - very rock n roll:arghh:
What could be nicer? I celebrate like that several times a day. Except that ordinary double cream does it for me. Or Fage yoghurt for an extra special treat and more health benefits, along with a few more carbs, alas.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I resigned from eating breakfast this morning despite agreeing to it on Friday. even bought the bacon. Later I resigned from having my cake and eating it at dinner - the dream just faded in self doubt. I have honoured my vote to do 11K steps and I honestly did not cross any red lines. Here is my menu:

6.040 - 8.45 - 2 pints Tea with almoH/M nd milk
8.45 1 pint Tumeric Gold tea - teabag as not quite ready to make our own yet
11..00 Vente Filter coffee (mix of Waitrose house and French vanilla ) 4 tsps double cream - use by was June 29th but perfectly fine and shame to waste it if ok; triple zero stevia and 1 tsp inulin
13.30 2 large eggs; avocado; 80 gms cucumber; 3 slices of luncheon meat (100 gms for 18p); 60 gms h/m garlic mayo; 30 gms chia seeds and I tsp psyllium husk powder
16.00 Scoured fridge for no good reason (old habits die hard) - 2 slices tongue, 1 slice corned beef
18.40 : 200 gms cooked chicken from way back when; 100 gms lettuce; 15 gms chia seeds; 40 gms h/m garlic mayo;
Overall about 17 gms carb - allowing up to 20 or even a v high 25 for inaccurate numbers still okey dokey; 30 gms fibre 117 gms protein
I may resign from drinking water this evening!

Last edited:

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hot, hot, hot today, am not complaining though as it is so rare for us to have such glorious weather
Planned on having a very healthy low carb day today, all fine until I succumbed to half of a ginger scone this evening, will have to wait a little while to see the damage I’ve done :banghead::bigtears:
B omelette with a sprinkle of feta cheese
L onion salad, 1 cherry tomato, cucumber, pepper, Brie, feta and a boiled egg
D minced steak made into a cottage pie with celeriac mash, spinach and rocket leaves, cucumber and pepper

Then I gave in and ate half of a scone topped with cream, very naughty of me but I’ve not had one since last summer, not sure I enjoyed it as much as I had hoped so won’t be repeating this naughtiness regardless of what my meter reports later

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all hope everyone is well. I had a lovely Monday today as got to go out this afternoon for a swim in a friend’s open air pool wonderful time had by all should make time more often and wonderful in this amazing weather
Breakfast two scrambled eggs and coffee with inulin
Lunch one small tin mackerel in olive oil mixed with some olive oil hummus followed by small piece of LC lemon cake with some fage yoghurt
Dinner cold chicken salad ( advocado, walnut and olive oil mayo plus some leaves) followed by sugar free jelly topped with dollop of fage yoghurt.
Just watered the garden and sat drinking black tea watching sun go down what a perfect day and puppy minding to look forward to in the morning.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hot, hot, hot today, am not complaining though as it is so rare for us to have such glorious weather
Planned on having a very healthy low carb day today, all fine until I succumbed to half of a ginger scone this evening, will have to wait a little while to see the damage I’ve done :banghead::bigtears:
B omelette with a sprinkle of feta cheese
L onion salad, 1 cherry tomato, cucumber, pepper, Brie, feta and a boiled egg
D minced steak made into a cottage pie with celeriac mash, spinach and rocket leaves, cucumber and pepper

Then I gave in and ate half of a scone topped with cream, very naughty of me but I’ve not had one since last summer, not sure I enjoyed it as much as I had hoped so won’t be repeating this naughtiness regardless of what my meter reports later
Hopefully the cream will slow down any sugar rise!

Reactions: ianpspurs

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all hope everyone is well. I had a lovely Monday today as got to go out this afternoon for a swim in a friend’s open air pool wonderful time had by all should make time more often and wonderful in this amazing weather
Breakfast two scrambled eggs and coffee with inulin
Lunch one small tin mackerel in olive oil mixed with some olive oil hummus followed by small piece of LC lemon cake with some fage yoghurt
Dinner cold chicken salad ( advocado, walnut and olive oil mayo plus some leaves) followed by sugar free jelly topped with dollop of fage yoghurt.
Just watered the garden and sat drinking black tea watching sun go down what a perfect day and puppy minding to look forward to in the morning.
Seems like you have had a perfect day @shelley262 well deserved I’m sure

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Scone update
I may have a reprieve 5.1 before first bite and 5.7 at 2 hrs, I tested twice just in case and both readings the same, as you suggested @shelley262 the cream may have helped
I will test again at 3 hrs and the foot on the floor reading in the morning will be interesting to see

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 if I had such a friend I’d be round there every day, how lovely.

We’ve had the same incredible weather here too. I chickened out of yoga tonight though as I just couldn’t face the thought of getting on the tube at 5:30 its only 5 stops but that’s 5 stops too many at this temperature.

B: spinach and feta omelette with coffee and cream.

L: smoked salmon and cream cheese on DD seedy crackers. Sf jelly, raspberries from the garden and cream

Afternoon: lots of iced tea

D: leftover duck shredded in a salad of greenery, avocado, radishes, walnuts cooked green beans, a small tomato and olive oil/ acv dressing. Had a glass of red with it.

Hope tonight is more restful - I woke last night and went to the loo then had the shock of my life when a small black figure darted out of my bedroom! It was next door’s cat! It must have climbed in through the open window but nearly gave me a heart attack. I think it’s making a habit of this as I’ve seen strange paw like marks on the bathroom floor recently that I haven’t been able to figure out - obviously Puss doing her nocturnal visits now we don’t have Tilly to discourage her!

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 if I had such a friend I’d be round there every day, how lovely.

We’ve had the same incredible weather here too. I chickened out of yoga tonight though as I just couldn’t face the thought of getting on the tube at 5:30 its only 5 stops but that’s 5 stops too many at this temperature.

B: spinach and feta omelette with coffee and cream.

L: smoked salmon and cream cheese on DD seedy crackers. Sf jelly, raspberries from the garden and cream

Afternoon: lots of iced tea

D: leftover duck shredded in a salad of greenery, avocado, radishes, walnuts cooked green beans, a small tomato and olive oil/ acv dressing. Had a glass of red with it.

Hope tonight is more restful - I woke last night and went to the loo then had the shock of my life when a small black figure darted out of my bedroom! It was next door’s cat! It must have climbed in through the open window but nearly gave me a heart attack. I think it’s making a habit of this as I’ve seen strange paw like marks on the bathroom floor recently that I haven’t been able to figure out - obviously Puss doing her nocturnal visits now we don’t have Tilly to discourage her!
I don’t blame you giving your class a miss, I can’t imagine having to ride the tube today, I came home to a sauna like kitchen which was bad enough, then I switched the oven on to cook, no wonder the scone temptation took over I must have had a moment of madness which lasted about 2 hours :joyful:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cooler today! Yay!

1pm last night’s red mince
7pm pork shoulder steaks in tarragon and mustard cream sauce.

Oh my goodness. It was this recipe, minus the potatoes and mushrooms.
https://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/i...der-steaks-with-mushrooms-potatoes-and-gravy/

I LOVE the Instant Pot.
All I had to do was pop 15 pork shoulder steaks (that is over 2 kilos) into the IP to cook for 10 mins, with a 10 min depressure.
Added slices of butternut on top for Mr B.
Meanwhile I lobbed the onion and garlic into a chef’s pan to sweat down to the edge of caramelisation. Then add tarragon, lemon juice, a pork stock cube and mustard. Then add cream to taste and season.
Not quite the recipe as shown on that website, but then i tend to cook in the spirit rather than the letter...

Now I have MANY meals, all served up in trays for the freezer. Half have butternut (for him). All have plenty of sauce.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t blame you giving your class a miss, I can’t imagine having to ride the tube today, I came home to a sauna like kitchen which was bad enough, then I switched the oven on to cook, no wonder the scone temptation took over I must have had a moment of madness which lasted about 2 hours :joyful:[/

Really good 2 hr reading though Jayney

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok I’ve been reading about Inulin, what are the particular benefits for us Type 2s, @shelley262 and @ianpspurs why do you take it? It’s described as having a mild sweet flavour, does it significantly sweeten a mug of black coffee?

Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: egg and ham omelette wraps from a Tesco (came with my delivery this week :), followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: chicken stir fry with extra bean sprouts (no noodles) and soy sauce followed by strawberries and choc Oppo.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok I’ve been reading about Inulin, what are the particular benefits for us Type 2s, @shelley262 and @ianpspurs why do you take it? It’s described as having a mild sweet flavour, does it significantly sweeten a mug of black coffee?
@Rachox I use it basically for gut health and as part of my obsession with getting fibre intake up to high 30 gms. I don't find any sweetening effect much - does make caramel/toffee though. @shelley262 may have other points.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: egg and ham omelette wraps from a Tesco (came with my delivery this week :), followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: chicken stir fry with extra bean sprouts (no noodles) and soy sauce followed by strawberries and choc Oppo.
Hi @Rachox I started inulin initially for gut health as recommended by dr m Moseley and have carried on mainly for this reason. However have subsequently found it useful because of its unique qualities such as caramelising on my lemon drizzle cake. I’d say it’s not that sweet just very slightly. You also need to build up gradually as can make your gut gassy if you have too much initially! It dissolves in water and is fairly tasteless apart from a slight sweetness. It’s main use I think though is as a soluble fibre.
Edit it’s also negligible re carbs as like erythritol it just goes through the gut but inulin does feed the gut bacteria not sure if erythritol does or not

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox I use it basically for gut health and as part of my obsession with getting fibre intake up to high 30 gms. I don't find any sweetening effect much - does make caramel/toffee though. @shelley262 may have other points.
Hi @Rachox I started inulin initially for gut health as recommended by dr m Moseley and have carried on mainly for this reason. However have subsequently found it useful because of its unique qualities such as caramelising on my lemon drizzle cake. I’d say it’s not that sweet just very slightly. You also need to build up gradually as can make your gut gassy if you have too much initially! It dissolves in water and is fairly tasteless apart from a slight sweetness. It’s main use I think though is as a soluble fibre.
Edit it’s also negligible re carbs as like erythritol it just goes through the gut but inulin does feed the gut bacteria not sure if erythritol does or not

Thank you both. I need to up my fibre especially in this hot weather if you get my meaning! Sorry TMI! :oops: I would put it in my breakfast black coffee which I could do with a little sweetness in. I love black coffee the rest of the day but it’s a bit of a struggle first thing.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you both. I need to up my fibre especially in this hot weather if you get my meaning! Sorry TMI! :oops: I would put it in my breakfast black coffee which I could do with a little sweetness in. I love black coffee the rest of the day but it’s a bit of a struggle first thing.
Never had a problem whilst taking this! Gather there are claims btw that it can help blood sugar regulation as well as improve gut health but don’t know if it does or not just make sure you start slowly and build it up. Think initial gas is to do with growth of good gut bacteria and it does settle.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never had a problem whilst taking this! Gather there are claims btw that it can help blood sugar regulation as well as improve gut health but don’t know if it does or not just make sure you start slowly and build it up. Think initial gas is to do with growth of good gut bacteria and it does settle.
I’ve added a small bag to an Amazon order which I’ll send when I know I can be in for the delivery. I’ll let you know how I get on with it. Thanks for the advice.