What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A drippy hot night followed by a cloudy morning but didn't take long for the sun to break through and back to hot hot hot again. Still drippy though but that was down to cleaning the range cooker as the gas board are coming to fix it tomorrow. I had hazmat arms by the time Hubby appeared back and why is it people phone when you are up to your elbows in Oven Mate? Bed 5.2 FBG 5.4 - seems the liver was still occupied with the prosecco.
B. Can't stay away from these lo dough toasties - cheese and ham with a Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream
L. Spoonful of prawns, anchovies, smoked salmon mousse, 4 Santini tomatoes.
D. Pork loin chop , lettuce and Santini tomatoes.
Busy day tomorrow managed to arrange to get DIL to a class for 9.30 be at the chiropodist for 9.30 , take the boys out and get the cooker repaired?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cooler today! Yay!

1pm last night’s red mince
7pm pork shoulder steaks in tarragon and mustard cream sauce.

Oh my goodness. It was this recipe, minus the potatoes and mushrooms.
https://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/i...der-steaks-with-mushrooms-potatoes-and-gravy/

I LOVE the Instant Pot.
All I had to do was pop 15 pork shoulder steaks (that is over 2 kilos) into the IP to cook for 10 mins, with a 10 min depressure.
Added slices of butternut on top for Mr B.
Meanwhile I lobbed the onion and garlic into a chef’s pan to sweat down to the edge of caramelisation. Then add tarragon, lemon juice, a pork stock cube and mustard. Then add cream to taste and season.
Not quite the recipe as shown on that website, but then i tend to cook in the spirit rather than the letter...

Now I have MANY meals, all served up in trays for the freezer. Half have butternut (for him). All have plenty of sauce.

I'm very much in-waiting for the mini IP, to add to the gadget family. I'll be watching Prime Day like a hawk, in case they elect to launch then.

Bearing in mind the recent general supply issues, I doubt that will happen though. One can but hope.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So much fresher today, thank goodness.

I have a question for you all: I started chatting to @ianpspurs on a different thread about this. I have long suspected that coffee raises my bg, I cant imagine how that would happen but today I managed to check having breakfasted early I had a coffee ( plus 2 teasp cream) at 10:30 and just had correspondence to do so no untoward exercise but lo and behold a nearly 1mmol spike at 1 hr. it was nearly back to pre level at 2 hrs which is why I guess I usually miss it, and maybe why my A1c is higher than my MySugr estimation. It’s strange though and I can’t figure out why it would happen. I will try later with decaff and also try with tea or just cream no coffee. Has anyone else noticed this or do you have an explanation? First PhD bars, now coffee. Boo!

B: bacon and fried egg in DD Oopsie roll plus coffee and cream

Mid morning - coffee and cream

L: peppered mackerel fillet and salad of rocket, avocado, leftover cooked green beans, radishes, olives and walnuts with olive oil/ acv dressing.
Sf jelly, fresh raspberries and cream

Mid afternoon, having had my retinopathy appt this afternoon I couldn’t focus well enough to read this afternoon so snacked instead - irritating of me. Cup of tea with 1/2 slice lemon drizzle cake, few olives, few almonds and a seedy cracker.

D: Fresh tuna steak with salad similar to lunchtime. Small cube of cheese and a glass of red to follow.

Reactions: maglil55

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hm, 3 Spurs players and an ex player for Belgium Vs Spurs captain for France. Who to support? Probably France as I'm really a Perigord Noir kinda guy. Anyhow food list time:
6.040 - 8.45 - 1 pint Tumeric Gold tea; 2 pints Tea with H/M almond milk
11..00 Vente Filter coffee (mix of Waitrose house and French vanilla ) 4 tsps double cream - use by was June 29th but perfectly fine and shame to waste it if ok; triple zero stevia and 2 tsp inulin (see how we go with extra inulin)
14.40 Fluffy omelette with chorizo, mushroom, asparagus (amazed it is still coming) and cheddar; H/M garlic mayo; 3 pints lemon green tea with most of a lemon as well
17.15 H/M High fibre chocky bar - flaxseed, inulin, psyllium husk, raspberries, 100% chocky (Don’t like 2 courses together in normal times)
19.15: Remaining sirloin steak 120 gms; normal big base salad (basically fills a family sized pasta bowl) this has been centrepiece of my meals for last 3 years lost 24 kgs on it so seems to work; 30 gms chia seeds and tsp psyllium as can be husk seeds;
Overall about 22 gms carb - allowing a high 25 for inaccurate numbers - even 30 still okey dokey; good 40 gms fibre 96 gms protein ( would want to adjust this up if doc gives me ok to try weights next week)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all cooler today but more stressful younger son poorly with some worrying symptoms - one of those days! Didn’t get much useful stuff done. I’m hoping to go out for lunch tomorrow to celebrate friends birthday so hope he improves and I can go.
@DJC3 im lucky coffee dosent spike me - are you sure your rise isn’t just a mid am thing? If you test with tea or decaff at same time with no food and the same time and content breakfast it could help you to know. I think Ziggy used to spike with coffee though but didnt with decaff ?
Breakfast scrambled eggs and coffee with inulin
Lunch four LC seeded crispbreads with pate and celery followed by small slice LC lemon cake and bit of fage yoghurt
Dinner chicken stir fry with 20g bean pasta and glass red wine followed by sf raspberry jelly and dollop of fage yoghurt.
Still taking my plant sterols religiously too will be interesting to see result of experiment when test bloods next Wednesday after a three week trial of taking them as well as six weeks of modified eating! Feel like an experiment in progress at times whilst regularly weighing myself, testing my bgs, taking my blood and having regular blood tests.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all cooler today but more stressful younger son poorly with some worrying symptoms - one of those days! Didn’t get much useful stuff done. I’m hoping to go out for lunch tomorrow to celebrate friends birthday so hope he improves and I can go.
@DJC3 im lucky coffee dosent spike me - are you sure your rise isn’t just a mid am thing? If you test with tea or decaff at same time with no food and the same time and content breakfast it could help you to know. I think Ziggy used to spike with coffee though but didnt with decaff ?
Lunch four LC seeded crispbreads with pate and celery followed by small slice LC lemon cake and bit of fage yoghurt
Dinner chicken stir fry with 20g bean pasta and glass red wine followed by sf raspberry jelly and dollop of fage yoghurt.
Still taking my plant sterols religiously too will be interesting to see result of experiment when test bloods next Wednesday after a three week trial of taking them as well as six weeks of modified eating! Feel like an experiment in progress at times whilst regularly weighing myself, testing my bgs, taking my blood and having regular blood tests.
Hope your son improves and you can make the birthday lunch. Hug also for feeling all the testing/experimenting lately. Menu sounds as though it would have been cheering though:)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I hope your son is ok @shelley262 what a worry for you.
I’ve also heard that decaff might be better for avoiding spikes so I might have to change after a bit more experimentation

Good luck with the lipid panel next week. I will await your results with almost as much anticipation as you! Have you added plant sterols by taking pills or diet?

Reactions: ianpspurs

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope your son is ok @shelley262 what a worry for you.
I’ve also heard that decaff might be better for avoiding spikes so I might have to change after a bit more experimentation

Good luck with the lipid panel next week. I will await your results with almost as much anticipation as you! Have you added plant sterols by taking pills or diet?
Pills as tried benecol spread and didn’t like plus drinks had carbs felt easiest no carb method!

Reactions: DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope your son improves and you can make the birthday lunch. Hug also for feeling all the testing/experimenting lately. Menu sounds as though it would have been cheering though:)
Food remains a great joy and comfort, which is why low fat never worked for me I was always hungry! Thank you for the hug the experimentation is the only way to get the results you want and it’s worked well to date so it’s a minor inconvenience really.

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Food remains a great joy and comfort,
I agree with that but when I used to do running some of the serious guys saw it as only fuel. One in particular was fond of saying you only feed a dog once a day! Now the rugby guys were different but only in as much as many hoovered anything up.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So much fresher today, thank goodness.

I have a question for you all: I started chatting to @ianpspurs on a different thread about this. I have long suspected that coffee raises my bg, I cant imagine how that would happen but today I managed to check having breakfasted early I had a coffee ( plus 2 teasp cream) at 10:30 and just had correspondence to do so no untoward exercise but lo and behold a nearly 1mmol spike at 1 hr. it was nearly back to pre level at 2 hrs which is why I guess I usually miss it, and maybe why my A1c is higher than my MySugr estimation. It’s strange though and I can’t figure out why it would happen. I will try later with decaff and also try with tea or just cream no coffee. Has anyone else noticed this or do you have an explanation? First PhD bars, now coffee. Boo!

B: bacon and fried egg in DD Oopsie roll plus coffee and cream

Mid morning - coffee and cream

L: peppered mackerel fillet and salad of rocket, avocado, leftover cooked green beans, radishes, olives and walnuts with olive oil/ acv dressing.
Sf jelly, fresh raspberries and cream

Mid afternoon, having had my retinopathy appt this afternoon I couldn’t focus well enough to read this afternoon so snacked instead - irritating of me. Cup of tea with 1/2 slice lemon drizzle cake, few olives, few almonds and a seedy cracker.

D: Fresh tuna steak with salad similar to lunchtime. Small cube of cheese and a glass of red to follow.
At one point I believed coffee was causing problems and it was! Thing was it was when I was drinking lower sugar lattes which turned out to be not low enough. I switched to black with a dash of cream and was fine but not without restricting myself to weeks of black tea first (I drink my tea black anyway so it wasn't a hardship). If I have coffee at night I have Cafe Hag. All my coffee and teas are Tassimo.
I tasted one of the lower sugar lattes a few weeks ago and it tasted horrible - way too sweet. I do seem to recall @Brunneria had coffee issues at one point. I may be wrong.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope your son improves soon xxx

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all, so much cooler today so didn’t feel quite so frustrated being office bound
Hope you son improves soon @shelley262
@DJC3 i hope you don’t have to limit or give up your coffee, fingers crossed the rise is just your body doing what it does at that time of day.
B omelette with feta cheese
L Chicken salad with mayonnaise
Small pack of pork scratchings mid afternoon
D lo dough used as a pizza base topped with chicken, hot dog sausage and cheese, jelly and cream

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to complete the sports food post the footballers seemed to exist on a superfood called stella:) The only group who cared about food were us cricketers.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 and @jayney27 thanks for the coffee input. I’m fairly sure it is the culprit as Ive noticed a few surprisingly high pre meal readings when I’ve had a mid morning or mid aft cup. I usually have filter coffee and measure out 2 teasp cream into it, no sugar (obvs) or sweetener. I’ll report the findings of my self test when I’ve figured it out.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My BP as well as my BGs have probably been sky high today. Mentioned yesterday I had to be in 3 places at once this morning. Warned DIL she had to be ready to go. Keeping me waiting 7 mins did nothing for my BP! May not seem a lot but it was pretty vital to me. Didn't have time to drop the boys with Hubby. Straight to DIL class then straight back home (Lewis Hamilton would have been proud), chucked boys out, made sure they were in (gas board arrived too) sped back to chiropodist, made it with 1 min to spare and she was running late! Bed was 7.1 and FBG 6.2.
B. Even although range now fixed I stuck with my toastie - Han, cheddar and tomato on lo dough (Even got hubby onto toasties now). Packed up water, wipes and handkerchiefs and ventured out with the boys (Sun was coming out).
L. Arrived at Dalkeith Country Park - not good for 1 Grandma on a crutch with a 7 and 5 year old who want to run in different directions! They've extended the place too - a couple of these extending dog leashes would have been ideal. The place is huge, busy and filled with fraught parents/grandparents trying to keep an eye on the little darlings who are disappearing into forts , scooting down zip wires and slides that go from the top of a hill to the bottom, climbing walls, logs.......lunch was a pleasant relief.
Carrot and coriander soup, black coffee and they even had lower carb bread!
D. Needed to relax so just got a deli chicken with lettuce , Santini tomatoes, avocado crush and a wee prosecco (just a glass not a bottle).
No grandsons tomorrow
PS The element in my fan oven was seriously broken!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes @maglil55 and @DJC3 I do indeed have coffee issues.
After a few years of only being able to tolerate one decaff coffee a day, I discovered that even that amount was significantly raising my blood pressure. I gave it up and my bp dropped to what is considered normal nowadays. :D
I am also sleeping much better. :D:D:D

Since then, I have also given up tea, decaff tea, and now limit chocolate intake to earlier in the day - because the less caffeine I have, the more sensitive to it I seem to get - and there is actually no such thing as decaffeinated, just as-little-caffeine-as-we-can-get-with-our-decaffeinating-process. Even the decaff was affecting me.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 and @jayney27 thanks for the coffee input. I’m fairly sure it is the culprit as Ive noticed a few surprisingly high pre meal readings when I’ve had a mid morning or mid aft cup. I usually have filter coffee and measure out 2 teasp cream into it, no sugar (obvs) or sweetener. I’ll report the findings of my self test when I’ve figured it out.
Thankfully it doesn’t seem to impact on my levels, I just tend to rise a little bit from my out of bed reading to before breakfast and then some days it continues to go up a little bit after breakfast regardless of carb value, other days it doesn’t, skipping breakfast sometimes works and it doesn’t rise other days it does. It then goes down from lunchtime for the remainder of the day, unless evening meal is a little bit naughty, but even then never rises more than 2 mmol

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 phew! What a day, I’m puffed out just reading it and I’m sure I’d have had more than a glass of fizz.

@jayney27 lucky you, I shall be seriously cheesed off if I have to give coffee up.

@Brunneria that makes sobering reading but sounds like the benefits far outweigh the side effects of drinking it for you. I must admit I assumed decaff meant just that. I’m so hoping I will be able to carry on with it. I wonder if I over- caffeined in my stressed out earlier life and caused a hypersensitivity? Thanks for your input, it seems like with every other aspect of this condition it is all so very individual.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: small portion of left over chicken stir fry followed by Greek yoghurt and blueberries.
Mid afternoon: lemon chia pudding and a black coffee.
Dinner: butternut squashetti bolognese with a sprinkling of grated mature cheddar followed by strawberries and salted caramel Oppo.