What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 Re our exchange yesterday about the crime against humanity that is cupcakes - this is much more tasteful. :angelic:Courgette recipe may be an idea as it seems to be a bumper year. Also, does the batter come out crispy as that is something I sorely miss in my life

Ian - I'm not answering for DJC3, but gram flour is that which is used in onoin bhajis, so a crisp batter is very doable. I've done quite a few things coated in a spiced, gram flour batter, to be like pakora, exactly for the crunch. The oil needs to be hot enough, and don't cook too many pieces at any given time, or the oil will be cooled, simply by adding more and more of the mixture to the pan.

As I have a thing about deep or even semi-deep fat frying, I do them in a smallish saucepan, so that the sides minimise the chances of fat spitting or spilling.

The problem is though, the tend to be snaffled almost as fast as they can be produced by "innocent" bystanders and unusually enthusiastic kitchen helpers.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ian - I'm not answering for DJC3, but gram flour is that which is used in onoin bhajis, so a crisp batter is very doable. .
@DCUKMod Thanks that is a very helpful and pleasing answer. @DJC3 thank you as well - I probably need other oil as coconut taste is another affront to my sensibilities:angelic: (Were any concoction to ever include desicated coconut I fear a homicidal rage would ensue).
Has anyone ever tried making celeriac bhajis ot pokoras?

Edit: I'm on an OMAD day so yet to eat. I now have a desire for the courgette fritter and tzatziki :arghh: My wife is now making tzatziki ready for tomorrow. The freshly picked mint smells wonderful. We have garlic growing and cucumbers and courgettes so hopefully this will become a summer staple:woot:

Last edited:

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod Thanks that is a very helpful and pleasing answer. @DJC3 thank you as well - I probably need other oil as coconut taste is another affront to my sensibilities:angelic: (Were any concoction to ever include desicated coconut I fear a homicidal rage would ensue).

Edit: I'm on an OMAD day so yet to eat. I now have a desire for the courgette fritter and tzatziki :arghh: My wife is now making tzatziki ready for tomorrow. The freshly picked mint smells wonderful. We have garlic growing and cucumbers and courgettes so hopefully this will become a summer staple:woot:
Celeriac bhaji sounds delicious

Reactions: ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
2nd OMAD day in a row - just because. Hot here and no rain forecast until 28th, even then only a 15% chance. I haven't heard a lawnmower for at least 6 weeks either. Also, strangely I haven't smelled a barbeque today which is very unusual for a Saturday. Menu below.
7.20 2 pint mugs tea with h/m almond milk
8.50 pint mugs Kenco instant decaf Americano with arla lactofree single cream and 2 tsps inulin (decaf instant bought for friend recovering from op earlier in the year and needs using. I find it ok)
14.30 2 mugs tea with almond milk
18.25: Large squid pieces (looked more like octopus which is why I wanted it) salad with acv vinaigrette; high fibre choc bar (full of flaxseeds, inulin, psyllium powder); water. I loved the squid but need to wait and see what the meal did.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all,
Very un hungry day until about an hour ago
no breakfast just a coffee
Late morning half a PhD smart bar with a coffee with cream, after 2 hrs BG slightly lower than at first bite, @Rachox it would seem that I can tolerate these bars too, I will need to test with a whole one but am happy to eat just half if that is what is required to stay in control, have only tried the peanut version, that’s all that my Tesco had, I have ordered the raspberry flavour to try, Holland and Barrett are selling them as singles or boxes both on an offer of but 2 get 1 free
Late afternoon coffee with cream
D babyleaf salad, cherry tomatoes, sweet sour cucumber, prawns, burger, mayo, 1 flat mushroom, sprinkle of mozzarella and a glass of red wine 4.8 at first bite so not eating for most of the day paid off today

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
8B33437F-A18E-4E78-A58F-FF8726A5D825.jpeg CBDD5FED-96FF-400D-8CF9-DF958EAD69B1.jpeg I’ve done it! Erythritol ordered yesterday obligingly arrived at its Amazon Locker this evening. Quick trip to Asda for more ground almonds, revised recipe, upped cooking temperature (thanks @maglil55 ) and hey presto, one lemon zucchini cake. Looks a bit dark in the picture, but the top crust is delicious!

Today’s menu was:

- Late breakfast/mid-morning snack of failed zucchini cake with a blob of clotted cream followed by Parmesan Whisps from my US trip.

- Dinner was beef short rib, followed 1.5 hours later by the successful zucchini cake with extra thick Jersey cream.

For @DJC3 and others with surplus courgettes, the final combination was:

250g erythritol, 90ml olive oil, 2 eggs, 75ml almond milk, juice/zest of 1 lemon, 225g courgettes, 213g ground almonds, 45g chia seeds, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 2 teaspoons baking powder, half teaspoon salt. Baked for 55 minutes gas 4.

Edited to,say @ianpspurs completely agree about coconut.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 27685 View attachment 27686 I’ve done it! Erythritol ordered yesterday obligingly arrived at its Amazon Locker this evening. Quick trip to Asda for more ground almonds, revised recipe, upped cooking temperature (thanks @maglil55 ) and hey presto, one lemon zucchini cake. Looks a bit dark in the picture, but the top crust is delicious!

Today’s menu was:

- Late breakfast/mid-morning snack of failed zucchini cake with a blob of clotted cream followed by Parmesan Whisps from my US trip.

- Dinner was beef short rib, followed 1.5 hours later by the successful zucchini cake with extra thick Jersey cream.

For @DJC3 and others with surplus courgettes, the final combination was:

250g erythritol, 90ml olive oil, 2 eggs, 75ml almond milk, juice/zest of 1 lemon, 225g courgettes, 213g ground almonds, 45g chia seeds, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 2 teaspoons baking powder, half teaspoon salt. Baked for 55 minutes gas 4.

Edited to,say @ianpspurs completely agree about coconut.
Well done, it looks wonderful, will have to try this :)

Reactions: DJC3

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I made some peppermint fat bombs today, just tried one, very nice

Attachments

• CE8B5C71-8839-4995-AED2-52A95FFCB88F.jpeg
    CE8B5C71-8839-4995-AED2-52A95FFCB88F.jpeg
    572.4 KB · Views: 384

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I didn't use celeriac. I did use the usual onoin, cauli and brocolli. To be honest, the bhaji/pakora are so quick to make, you can just try one, and if you don't like it, change something.

Oh, and I've just remembered sliced peppers, well dired, the dipped in the batter and fried in a seasoned/spiced batter are a variation on onion rings, but more colourful.

Just make it up as you go along.

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed uni FBG 5.8. Was up and about early since, as I said , boys were arriving about noon. Was in Tesco by 8am to do my shopping and discovered its a nice time to shop. Shelves are full and not too busy. Got back and changed the boys beds, dusted and hoovered. Decided to go OMAD again.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Just water
D. Slice pork, ox tongue, fire and smoke turkey and one each of Lidl's Dulano German sausage selection. Lettuce, Santini tomato, cucumber, coleslaw, 1/2 avocado and a boiled egg.
Had another Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream and a Grenade brownie bar (need it to survive bedtime with No 2. No 1 is great but little brother is a nightmare).
@Goonergal - glad to see version two worked. Texture looks so much better.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal The hug is because there is no just why? icon! @jayney27 they do look mighty perty - tha'ts not a frosting or icing is it?
Hi @ianpspurs no the white layer is dare I mention it, coconut oil, peppermint essence and sweetener, you then add cocoa powder to make the chocolate layer
I also made some peanut butter cups, chocolate layer made from cocoa powder, butter and sweetener, peanut butter layer and topped with a final chocolate layer, I have made these very small bite sized portions as they will be quite rich I imagine

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @ianpspurs no the white layer is dare I mention it, coconut oil, peppermint essence and sweetener, you then add cocoa powder to make the chocolate layer
I also made some peanut butter cups, chocolate layer made from cocoa powder, butter and sweetener, peanut butter layer and topped with a final chocolate layer, I have made these very small bite sized portions as they will be quite rich I imagine
Oh no! I very much like peppermint and they look so nice. :arghh: Sadly, I could also never see how peanut butter ever found its way into cake. Good job we all have different tastes.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the update @Goonergal I’ll have a bash tomorrow. No 2 cake looks great.
@ianpspurs enough of the cupcake naysaying! I have made my last one and I’ll never think of them again.

A very courgette oriented day today.

B: smoked salmon, scrambled egg and avocado. Coffee and cream.

Late morning: 3 small courgette fritters: fresh, hot and crispy - really really nice!
L: peppered mackerel fillet with a small green salad with walnuts, olive oil and acv dressing. Followed bu sf jelly a spoonful of clotted cream and a HC choc button grated on top.

D: lasagne with courgette strips. Thanks for the idea @Goonergal, it worked brilliantly. I made a beef ragu and put sour cream and grated cheddar on the top. My daughter’s partner said it was the best lasagne she’s ever had, and she is a real carb-aholic. Praise indeed.

With regards coconut oil, the one I’ve got at the mo is KTC organic coconut oil ( Tesco) and I can’t taste coconut at all. The one I had previously was very coconutty. I guess if you hate coconut you’d probably hate the thought of it.
Oh -almost forgot- 2 glasses red while cooking.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh no! I very much like peppermint and they look so nice. :arghh: Sadly, I could also never see how peanut butter ever found its way into cake. Good job we all have different tastes.
I'm with you on The peanut butter. Horrible stuff. I've tried to like it but it's just horrible I'm the same with stilton. I keep trying it but I just cannot like it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Late posting today as I was helping move my daughter’s stuff (well first instalment at least) into her new Student house ready for next term, back late!
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: 3 x cocktail sausages, 1/2 tub of prawn cocktail, sweet and crunchy salad and pork scratchings followed by 3 x strawberries and a blue Adonis bar.
Mid afternoon on the beach: choc and rasp phd bar and Pepsi Max
Dinner in a gastro pub: gammon, egg, peas, small pineapple ring and side salad.