What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all.
A photo memory book for your dad is a brilliant idea @Goonergal . Great fun to do I imagine and it’ll be lovely to look through it together.

@shelley262 hope the indigestion has finally gone. My raspberries were really early this year and have practically finished now sadly - found 4 this afternoon.

Breakfast today a courgette fritter warmed up with a poached egg on top. Lovely! Coffee and cream.

L: finally got round to trying the LoDough - made a wrap as suggested by @maglil55 with a small omelette, slice of ham and grated cheese then cooked it in the omelette pan. I was underwhelmed by it, like polystyrene I thought. Mind I’ve never really liked wraps so maybe I was on a loser to begin with. I will try a quiche tomorrow with the second one. Sf jelly and cream to follow.

Mid afternoon an unexplained energy slump, probably the weather or lack of coffee. Tried a decaff filter coffee with cream, it didn’t energise but thankfully didnt raise bg either.

D: roast chicken, buttered green beans, fried courgettes ( I still have 2 huge and 1 normal left) choc chia pud to follow.
I toast mine in the George with a touch of butter. I also add a smear of low sugar/salt tomato ketchup. If I was frying it I'd doit on a griddle.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do post your mug cake recipe - there are lots of cake lovers here, always looking for new ideas. @ianpspurs is a mug cake in the same Devil’s spawn category as a cup cake?
@DJC3 Do they have frosting or icing ?- if not then no, if they do definitely especially if coconut or anchor butter involved. @Goonergal what an amazing idea for your dad. As for slow cooker and IP, right now the Ps have been having a love affair with the Sous Vide this summer - gammon works well.
OK, today was 3rd OMAD day and left it until 6.55 to eat - grave error all control had gone and body just screamed food!
Mixed olives and cheese; Cauliflower coutgette fritters and h/m tzatziki ( fritters need big tweak chez nous- hungry as I was I only ate 1 becuse Mrs P had lovingly made them); ham; h/m high fibre choc bar with strawberries and extra thick Jersey cream.
@DJC3 Our free raspberries are now coming in and there are massive amounts of blackberries.

Last edited:

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I hope everyone has had a lovely Sunday?
Had a late breakfast as we went to the local eatery we visited last weekend, full English with earl grey tea and indulged in a slice of granary toast, very minimal impact rise of 0.5 so very happy
No lunch as not hungry from the breakfast but did have a Starbucks cappacino while we out
Saw a lovely dress in a sale, wasn’t sure which size to try, the smaller one fitted so even happier now
Dinner was a small salad with mackerel followed by jelly and cream and one of my fat bombs

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

Kingmidas

Do post your mug cake recipe - there are lots of cake lovers here, always looking for new ideas.

@ianpspurs is a mug cake in the same Devil’s spawn category as a cup cake?
Recipe 1 - verrrrry dry and a bit tasteless - no milk in the recipe but it needed something to make it moist. I'll try another recipe tomorrow! It looked ok though Had a blob of halo top toasted coconut ice cream with it
20180722_194749.jpg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 5.7 FBG 5 3. Boys eventually went To sleep I was ready for bed about 1hour before them! Doesn't make a blind bit of difference - they still wake up early. Morning was spent feeding them and being a referee so another OMAD it was.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream
L. Just water
D. Did have a campari and soda. No prosecco though. Rib eye with a little mustard, peas, 5 Santini tomatoes, fried egg, couple of mushrooms and 7 sweet potato chips.
Certainly won't bother with another coffee I'm shattered.
Grandson free tomorrow.

Reactions: DJC3 and jayney27

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lol I’ve just done exactly the same and was about to post the link! Actually I remember my daughter making this a couple of years ago when she was on Slimming World - and it really was good.

My slow cooker tends to be retired for the summer too, but thinking about it, its ideal for summer hot meals as you bung everything in cold then just leave it - no need to be standing over the hob or be opening and shutting oven doors.
As well as the diet coke version Nigella Lawson also does a ginger ale version with gammon. I've made it a few times. Last time I used a sugar free marmalade I found, still added the mustard and some fresh ginger. No dark brown sugar but I added a squeeze of Agave. Not totally ideal but I worked on the basis you were not getting much of the glaze anyway. Loads of ginger ale in it and it seemed to make the gammon non salty as well as very tender.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As well as the diet coke version Nigella Lawson also does a ginger ale version with gammon. I've made it a few times. Last time I used a sugar free marmalade I found, still added the mustard and some fresh ginger. No dark brown sugar but I added a squeeze of Agave. Not totally ideal but I worked on the basis you were not getting much of the glaze anyway. Loads of ginger ale in it and it seemed to make the gammon non salty as well as very tender.
https://www.nigella.com/recipes/ginger-glazed-ham

Forgot the link

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Recipe 1 - verrrrry dry and a bit tasteless - no milk in the recipe but it needed something to make it moist. I'll try another recipe tomorrow! It looked ok though Had a blob of halo top toasted coconut ice cream with itView attachment 27698
Halo Top have toasted coconut ice cream??? Where has that one been hiding in my supermarkets!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do post your mug cake recipe - there are lots of cake lovers here, always looking for new ideas.

@ianpspurs is a mug cake in the same Devil’s spawn category as a cup cake?

Oh, and ribs are just awful.. In fact dire: https://jenniferbanz.com/instant-pot-ribs

OK. I lie. :D

Short ribs, in an hour?: https://emilygoesketo.com/keto-instant-pot-short-ribs/

OK, that's not a lie, although it takes a few minutes for the pot to reach pressurrere.

Oh, and if you cook something early, or if something gets in the way of the mealtime, the cauldron will keep it warm until you're ready.

I'd say @Brunneria might sell you herers, but I'd bet that would be a lie.

Reactions: Goonergal and DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all. OMAD day today. Just about got there - very hungry just before dinner.

Spent the day wandering around SE London on a mini photography project for my Dad. He has early stage Alzheimer’s and on a recent trip to London really perked up visiting old haunts, so I’m working on a compilation of former houses, workplaces, favourite places etc. Really enjoyed it - stuck to the more local places today, some further afield ones to come!

So to get back on topic, no breakfast or lunch. Dinner was pork belly with buttered, salted cabbage followed by a slice of yesterday’s lemon zucchini cake and extra thick Jersey cream. Dessert number 2 was half a portion of flourless chocolate lime cake, with a blob of cream. Very unexpectedly the zucchini cake is my favourite of the two. Pork belly was the best I’ve managed yet: managed to get crispy skin without over cooking the rest.

Remainder of both cakes to work tomorrow for colleagues.
What a great idea for your Dad. My FIL is a bit more advanced. Short term is very poor but long term is excellent to the extent he forgets English words but can speak , write and translate from French. He was in France during the war and learnt the language. The mind is a strange thing.

Reactions: DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Now watching The Sting for the gazillionth time in an attempt to stop myself clearing a fridge or 2. the 2 pieces of stuffed crust pizza my wife left from yesterday are sending out distress signals and I don't like pizza. 3 OMADs may be a step too far.:banghead:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's a new one! My daughter bulk boight all the new flavours - there's also birthday cake and red velvet (which was out of stock)
Agggh. I had trouble resisting it before but that's some scary flavours. My favourites were the cookie dough and the mint but that may be about to change

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I toast mine in the George with a touch of butter. I also add a smear of low sugar/salt tomato ketchup. If I was frying it I'd doit on a griddle.

I remember you saying you’d used the George, mine’s at the back of the cupboard though, and I couldn’t be bothered to get it out, i think it was just the texture I didn’t like, maybe a quiche crust will suit me better.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Sounds good. I like ginger.
I shouldn’t think the sweet cooking juice affects it too much - Ive had honey roast ham several times with no effect.

GrumpyOldPhart

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to do a gammon joint in the slow cooker by filling the space around the joint with apple juice. Obviously wouldn’t do that now but I’ve heard people use Coke instead of Apple juice and wondered if you could use Diet Coke or diet lemonade maybe? The apple juice recipe made such a lovely moist meat
I think that unless they've changed the recipe, if you use coke you might need a new slow cooker: when I was in the Army we used to use coke for cleaning out the barrels of rifles after we'd fired them all day! ;-)}

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Saw a lovely dress in a sale, wasn’t sure which size to try, the smaller one fitted so even happier now

It’s so good when that happens! Took me quite a while to get used to picking up smaller things. You must be chuffed!

Reactions: ianpspurs

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now you’ve found the reason for me to buy one!

I bought mine when I discovered a crack in my slow cooker inner, so it had to go. In changing it, I decided to go for some form of multi-cooker, then eventually ended up with the IP due to its stainless steel inner pot, so no non-stick coating to become scratched.

18 months along, I want another! When launched in the UK, I'd like a small 3ltr one for side dishes and small batches when I'm on my own. That said, the 6ltr which I have can be used for very small quantities. I just want another one!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought mine when I discovered a crack in my slow cooker inner, so it had to go. In changing it, I decided to go for some form of multi-cooker, then eventually ended up with the IP due to its stainless steel inner pot, so no non-stick coating to become scratched.

18 months along, I want another! When launched in the UK, I'd like a small 3ltr one for side dishes and small batches when I'm on my own. That said, the 6ltr which I have can be used for very small quantities. I just want another one!

The 3ltr one sounds perfect for me and my tiny flat/kitchen. May wait for that. I don’t own anything other than conventional pots and pans so will be a new experience.