What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm late, too. Fell asleep after dinner.
B: Greek yogurt and walnuts, decaff coffee.
L: Chicken thigh , grilled halloumi.
More decaff but with cream.
D salmon cucumber, mayonnaise.
Sparkling mineral water.
Another coffee during the day plus 2 litres water.

GrumpyOldPhart

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weird day today visiting MiL: fbg 5.2 then lge (not by @ianpspurs ' standard) mug tea with lactofree skimmed milk
B pre-porridge 6.6; (V small helping, no sweetener) +2 hrs 5.1???
Mid-morning Costa Coffee with my own lactofree semi-skimmed milk
L 1/2 portion Tesco cheese pasta salad (no readings taken),
pre-dinner 4.7 1pt Becks Blue (alcohol free lager) 1/2 portion calamari, Steak with salad, 1/2 tomato & 1 mushroom & about 3 chips (didn't enjoy them much!) +2 hrs 4.5
I can't work this out :arghh::arghh:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why are you getting wary of sat fats? I am instinctively wary, but keep telling myself its years of conditioning that fat is bad. Its v difficult to shrug that off I am finding.
@DJC3 I am wary because my initial improvements were made via a diet which strictly limited sat fat to a max of 14 gms per day and carbs were somewhere around 100 gms. The big bad spreadsheet shows way more exercise back then. I am far less relaxed re cholesterol than others. All my numbers are good to excellent but assuming I have reached ground zero with bg I will want to control that and weight carefully. I managed the same 5.5 Hba1c on that diet as last time with OMAD, fasting and way too few carbs. Big rethink in progress using numbers and comments from my spreadsheet. I made Mrs P weigh all red meat to max 75gms and ate lots of chicken breast and white fish for about a year. Cream in tea is batsh** crazy I hang my head in shame looking back at the nonsense I fell for in the spring.
@GrumpyOldPhart how was the Becks Blue - I like Becks and thought about trying that for the few times I want a beer.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal That is just the kind of bread I used to buy and use for marmite and tomato sandwiches ( my favourite and allegedly Prince Charles'). Nearest Asda is Cambridge so a 30/40 mile round trip but it is near M and S food and close to my mother's family heartland so good for a meet up with eccentric uncle. Thanks.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 I am wary because my initial improvements were made via a diet which strictly limited sat fat to a max of 14 gms per day and carbs were somewhere around 100 gms. The big bad spreadsheet shows way more exercise back then. I am far less relaxed re cholesterol than others. All my numbers are good to excellent but assuming I have reached ground zero with bg I will want to control that and weight carefully. I managed the same 5.5 Hba1c on that diet as last time with OMAD, fasting and way too few carbs. Big rethink in progress using numbers and comments from my spreadsheet. I made Mrs P weigh all read meat to max 75gms and ate lots of chicken breast and white fish for about a year. Cream in tea is batsh** crazy I hang my head in shame looking back at the nonsense I fell for in the spring.
@GrumpyOldPhart how was the Becks Blue - I like Becks and thought about trying that for the few times I want a beer.
Update: Posted before reading this article - proper confirmation bias https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...n-raise-risk-of-early-death-study-finds:arghh:

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 my attempt at the other microwave bread, I sprinkled seasame seeds on mine and I’ve had it as buttered toast with a black rooibos tea for breakfast. I toasted it when I got to work as I was a little bit behind this morning, 3 people came into the kitchen as it popped out of the toaster, noses in the air like sniffer dogs, all thought it smelt amazing.

Attachments

• IMG_1239.JPG
    IMG_1239.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_1237.JPG
    IMG_1237.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 343

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 I am wary because my initial improvements were made via a diet which strictly limited sat fat to a max of 14 gms per day and carbs were somewhere around 100 gms. The big bad spreadsheet shows way more exercise back then. I am far less relaxed re cholesterol than others. All my numbers are good to excellent but assuming I have reached ground zero with bg I will want to control that and weight carefully. I managed the same 5.5 Hba1c on that diet as last time with OMAD, fasting and way too few carbs. Big rethink in progress using numbers and comments from my spreadsheet. I made Mrs P weigh all read meat to max 75gms and ate lots of chicken breast and white fish for about a year. Cream in tea is batsh** crazy I hang my head in shame looking back at the nonsense I fell for in the spring.

Its a lot to think about isn’t it? There really is no quick fix or simple solution, I guess we all muddle along as we see fit. I’m trying to cut down the amount of cream I have as I can’t believe it’s ok - I’m not giving it up in coffee though, its what gets me up in the morning. I’ll be interested to watch how you process it all.

Re Becks Blue I think has around 9g carb per bottle dispite being low cal and low alcohol. I nearly had one last month in the heatwave but luckily checked the label first - too carby for me.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Its a lot to think about isn’t it? There really is no quick fix or simple solution, I guess we all muddle along as we see fit. I’m trying to cut down the amount of cream I have as I can’t believe it’s ok - I’m not giving it up in coffee though, its what gets me up in the morning. I’ll be interested to watch how you process it all.

Re Becks Blue I think has around 9g carb per bottle dispite being low cal and low alcohol. I nearly had one last month in the heatwave but luckily checked the label first - too carby for me.
The trigger for me was my cholesterol level moving above 4 in June after dabbling in OMAD, fasting , keytone testing and cream in tea etc. That level is a real no no for me. I have given things like bulletproof coffee a go since then and since I don't see any benefit in bg levels I am angry with myself for being so dumb. Bearing in mind the context of the conversation 9 gms carb may not be an issue but I would proceed with caution. I am also very wary around alcohol most of the time. I think my food lists back up caution with alcohol?

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The trigger for me was my cholesterol level moving above 4 in June after dabbling in OMAD, fasting , keytone testing and cream in tea etc. That level is a real no no for me. I have given things like bulletproof coffee a go since then and since I don't see any benefit in bg levels I am angry with myself for being so dumb. Bearing in mind the context of the conversation 9 gms carb may not be an issue but I would proceed with caution. I am also very wary around alcohol most of the time. I think my food lists back up caution with alcohol?

Ian, if you really are very fearful of lipids, have you considered having some in depth blood work done? I feel certain, bearing in mind you proximity (by County) to Addenbrookes, that there will be plenty of Lipidologists available for private consultations.

I feel way more relaxed about lipids, and I'm sure you could easily have apoplexy at my frank numbers, but all my proportions are very good. They just add up to a number much of the NHS feels unable to be reconciled with.

At one stage, I was offered a Lipidology referral, but I deferred the decision as I was about to trot off overseas again for a few months. By the time I got back, my GP had done some further reading/learning and changed her view on my numbers, and now focuses purely on the components and ignores the total.

I wouldn't try to persuade you that "my way is the right way. It's the right way for me, for now, and I accept if I misjudged things I'll have to live with the consequences, but I think if you have great concerns, then lifting the lid, to the next level might serve you well.

I do feel concerned that you have lost the joy in food, and that's a bit of a worry, as food and our ways of eating is so embedded in how we live. How we interact socially with others and on so many other levels.

Reactions: DJC3

GrumpyOldPhart

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 I am wary because my initial improvements were made via a diet which strictly limited sat fat to a max of 14 gms per day and carbs were somewhere around 100 gms. The big bad spreadsheet shows way more exercise back then. I am far less relaxed re cholesterol than others. All my numbers are good to excellent but assuming I have reached ground zero with bg I will want to control that and weight carefully. I managed the same 5.5 Hba1c on that diet as last time with OMAD, fasting and way too few carbs. Big rethink in progress using numbers and comments from my spreadsheet. I made Mrs P weigh all red meat to max 75gms and ate lots of chicken breast and white fish for about a year. Cream in tea is batsh** crazy I hang my head in shame looking back at the nonsense I fell for in the spring.
Ian, I have been unable to cope with alcohol for the last 25-odd years (since ME started) so well remember the sole choice of Kaliber in cans (Ugh!!!) This is so much better, but it isn't like real ale (which as a Morris Dancer 40+ years ago was a great favourite) and there are many other alcohol free beers to be had than there used to be, particularly from Spain & Portugal. At 8.5gm Carb (0.6gm sugar) per 275ml bottle, you might baulk at its' content, but personally I think it's fine once in a while for the enjoyment factor. The other ones I've tried have higher carb counts, but if you're interested, I'll run through them when I get back later.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I use 200mls almond milk, 1 tbsp double cream, 1tsp chia seeds, this is the main element of the smoothie. I either add 1 tbsp peanut butter or ive made it with a couple of strawberries, or cherries. You could add something like Erythritol if you want it sweeter but I personally don’t feel the need.
Thanks, @jayney27 I don't need sweet. Will give it a try. Its a while since I made anything with chia seeds and now have an idea for an alternative breakfast.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ian, if you really are very fearful of lipids, have you considered having some in depth blood work done? I feel certain, bearing in mind you proximity (by County) to Addenbrookes, that there will be plenty of Lipidologists available for private consultations.

I feel way more relaxed about lipids, and I'm sure you could easily have apoplexy at my frank numbers, but all my proportions are very good. They just add up to a number much of the NHS feels unable to be reconciled with.

I do feel concerned that you have lost the joy in food, and that's a bit of a worry, as food and our ways of eating is so embedded in how we live. How we interact socially with others and on so many other levels.
Thanks for the concern and advice. Without sharing numbers it is hard to compare but my lipids have the right ratios/ components (as far as my research and GP tell me) I am just in no hurry to change that. I know the, for me , ill judged attempts to get closer to keto WOE impacted the top line number so it ends. I also know other people feel differently and I respect their views and choices. I need to find my way back to where I was June 2 years ago which was a sweet spot. I became too obsessed with lowering bg and lost my way. Recovered bg this summer but at a price I am not prepared to pay- in terms of top line cholesterol - if I can avoid it. I want low numbers and good components and my lipid profile has been there.
I was going to offer an apology to all those who both find keto helpful and satisfying but this may suffice in it's stead? My chuntering from the sidelines is highly personal so ignore me I am a contrarian by nature.:angelic:

Last edited:
Reactions: GrumpyOldPhart

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the concern and advice. Without sharing numbers it is hard to compare but my lipids have the right ratios/ components (as far as my research and GP tell me) I am just in no hurry to change that. I know the, for me , ill judged attempts to get closer to keto WOE impacted the top line number so it ends. I also know other people feel differently and I respect their views and choices. I need to find my way back to where I was June 2 years ago which was a sweet spot. I became too obsessed with lowering bg and lost my way. Recovered bg this summer but at a price I am not prepared to pay- in terms of top line cholesterol - if I can avoid it. I want low numbers and good components and my lipid profile has been there.
I was going to offer an apology to all those who both find keto helpful and satisfying but this may suffice in it's stead? My chuntering from the sidelines is highly personal so ignore me I am a contrarian by nature.:angelic:

Ian - every member here is at liberty to eat, drink and live as they please. Your choice or mine might not be right for them, and every single one of us balances up our physical and emotional tolerances, then we overlay family and social factors to the picture. Sometimes similar starting components can result in a quite different end result, when those factors are applied.

At the end of the day, any one of us is only answerable to ourselves (and to an extend those closest to us, to whom we have made lifetime pledges), and it is only we who have to really live with the consequences of our choices or actions.

Don;t apologise to anyone for having done what you believe to be in your best interest, when you weigh up all the factors.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ian - every member here is at liberty to eat, drink and live as they please. Your choice or mine might not be right for them, and every single one of us balances up our physical and emotional tolerances, then we overlay family and social factors to the picture. Sometimes similar starting components can result in a quite different end result, when those factors are applied.

At the end of the day, any one of us is only answerable to ourselves (and to an extend those closest to us, to whom we have made lifetime pledges), and it is only we who have to really live with the consequences of our choices or actions.

Don;t apologise to anyone for having done what you believe to be in your best interest, when you weigh up all the factors.
Thanks. I was keen to apologise for the way I phrased some of my posts and trying to avoid coming across as some internet warrior. The people here are good people and I do not want to cause offence to anyone due to feeling exactly as you do about personal choice. :angelic:

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, @jayney27 I don't need sweet. Will give it a try. Its a while since I made anything with chia seeds and now have an idea for an alternative breakfast.
I don’t need the extra sweetness either, it’s not quite as thick as a commercial smoothie but I enjoy it as a breakfast, maybe adding more chia seeds would thicken it x

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Inchindown i now want to have 9 o clockers!
Hi all busy day - mix of puppy walking and getting latest version of recipes booklet done and out for comment. This mornings walk included a visit to medical centre - with OH looking after puppy outside. Trip was frustrating as receptionist said she wasn’t allowed to open my results would have to wait until dn in next Tuesday. Wish I’d done a private test on same day so was prepared for the statins phone call - I’ll also be out at the only time she is able to call me, so call will be on mobile in public! Oh well I’ll be able to say you’re breaking up once get results and she starts on statins discussion!
Breakfast sausage, bacon and egg
Lunch lc seed biscuits with pate and hummus and couple of pieces 85% choc
Dinner chilli con carne with lc garlic bread followed by sf jelly a few raspberries and double cream

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Very pleasant day in many ways today. Weather here was good and we met up with my uncle and showed him all the pictures of our two new granddaughters. @Goonergal big thanks for the Schneider Brot tip that was just the type of bread I tried 3 years ago but it spiked me higher than I wanted - as you will see I have not tested this yet but I do like the taste.
Menu below:
Pre Breakfast 3 mugs tea _ Starbucks Vente size
Breakfast: 45 mins walk then Lemon Green tea - 2 pints
Mid morning snack: Driving around Cambridge avoiding deranged cyclists
Lunch: Coffee in M and S with very eccentric uncle - the product of 3 older sisters - a salutary warning to all; M and S biggest Soya milk Latte and (eventually found) Chorizo and Diabolo Cheddar rolitos - those are a thing of beauty
Afternoon snack: Tea and 1 slice Schneider Brot Protein Bread toast and butter - Yes result ( 3 bl***y years later! ) No idea of impact just eating for pleasure at the moment testing comes when I am happy with the diet and exercise regime. Will take a while to get back to where I was bit like a sportsman coming back from injury. 40 min walk
Evening meal: Mackerel and avocado salad topped with plenty of chia seeds 30 to 60 min exercise bike depending on how I feel