What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Weird day today. Ate at lunch rather than dinner as it’s mum’s birthday, and now I’m craving food because my head is telling me that I haven’t eaten tonight but my stomach says it’s not hungry! Doing lots of things to keep my mind off it so I don’t fall off the wagon.

B-raspberries and cream
L- salad, inside of quiche but no pastry, salami, ham, boiled egg, Lidl German sausage, cheese and mayonnaise. Half an Atkins bar, tasted nasty but better for me than ice cream!

D-nothing as I was on the phone for a loooong time and then got too late to eat as I don’t like eating past 7

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No breakfast
Black coffee with caffine at 2pm
Lunch at 2:30 pm: bacon, mushrooms egg, all fried. Then what to clean the pan with? A slice of Seed Sensations Hovis, fried to a nice crunch.
Late afternoon: decaff coffee with teaspoon of cream.
Dinner: Stuffed pepper, used leftover Italian style crack slaw added cheeese and chives. Delicious. Sparkling mineral water.

Drank my 2 litres of water throughout the day and managed a return to intense water exercise after a week break for a sickie.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,
After my disappointment this morning the day did improve and my 2nd lo dough quiche was a huge success
Coffee with cream when I woke
B 1 portion of the microwave bread as recommended by @DJC3 buttered, those who were in the kitchen at work while it was toasting were intrigued and all agreed it smelt amazing
L half of my lo dough quiche
PhD raspberry bar this afternoon
D lo dough cheese and tomato pizza and some halloumi fries glass of red

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The trigger for me was my cholesterol level moving above 4 in June after dabbling in OMAD, fasting , keytone testing and cream in tea etc. That level is a real no no for me. I have given things like bulletproof coffee a go since then and since I don't see any benefit in bg levels I am angry with myself for being so dumb. Bearing in mind the context of the conversation 9 gms carb may not be an issue but I would proceed with caution. I am also very wary around alcohol most of the time. I think my food lists back up caution with alcohol?

I don’t think you’re being dumb, trying to find what works for you. I wish I had your patience to keep such detailed records, and to dissect the minutiae of diet/ exercise/ fasting.
I’m the opposite - Dispite my scientific background I want a very lax attitude in the kichen. I don’t want to analyse macros, and count every carb. I just want to know if certain foods should be avoided, then forget about them and enjoy the rest. I don’t know if this is achievable but I hope so.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 my attempt at the other microwave bread, I sprinkled seasame seeds on mine and I’ve had it as buttered toast with a black rooibos tea for breakfast. I toasted it when I got to work as I was a little bit behind this morning, 3 people came into the kitchen as it popped out of the toaster, noses in the air like sniffer dogs, all thought it smelt amazing.

Looks great - the sesame seeds are a good idea.
I tried the mug bread today - quick and easy and fewer carbs (3g vs 5g in the 90 sec one) but I don’t think I liked it as much - what put me off most was the eggy smell as it was microwaving. I made a cream cheese and smoked salmon ‘bagel’ type of lunch ( I’d eaten the other 1/2 before I remembered to take a photo.
IMG_5392.jpg

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks great - the sesame seeds are a good idea.
I tried the mug bread today - quick and easy and fewer carbs (3g vs 5g in the 90 sec one) but I don’t think I liked it as much - what put me off most was the eggy smell as it was microwaving. I made a cream cheese and smoked salmon ‘bagel’ type of lunch ( I’d eaten the other 1/2 before I remembered to take a photo.
View attachment 28131
Looks good. I think both are ok, quick and easy. I will swap the recipes and do the microwave recipe in the mug and vice verse, if they both work I will probably opt for the lower carb one and then just use a mug if I want a bagel/roll and use the flat container if I want toastie

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: Skinny Café pancake with bacon and SF maple syrup followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: cold chicken tikka, cauliflower, broccoli and red onion salad, with pork scratchings followed by Oppo with strawberries and LC chocolate granola.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a jolly nice if uneventful day today. First off because Mr C cleaned and vacuumed my car - he wanted to take a load of bamboo he’d been hacking away at up to the dump but I didn’t want the mess in my car so he agreed to clean it afterwards. Result!

B: Halloumi, mushrooms and wilted spinach topped with a poached egg. Coffee and cream.

L: DD mug bread ( see previous post) with cream cheese and smoked salmon.

Mid aft. Costa coffee and cream while shopping with daughter and grandchildren

D: 2 lamb chops and cauliflower cheese. Couple of glasses of red wine.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Away from home at the mo, staying with relatives, so will try and remember the last few days:

Tue: beefburger with bacon, cheese and a handful of skinny fries at a services, then bellypork and crackling in a pub.
Wed: chunk of cheddar for lunch, then cold roast chicken for dinner
Thur: a handful of cashews for lunch, beef stew for dinner, left the carrots and onions
Fri: another handful of nuts for lunch, then lamb steak for dinner

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: Skinny Café pancake with bacon and SF maple syrup followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: cold chicken tikka, cauliflower, broccoli and red onion salad, with pork scratchings followed by Oppo with strawberries and LC chocolate granola.
@Rachox , :wideyed:what is this sugar free maple syrup, please? Could conjour up a big breakfast Canadian style with that.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had a jolly nice if uneventful day today. First off because Mr C cleaned and vacuumed my car - he wanted to take a load of bamboo he’d been hacking away at up to the dump but I didn’t want the mess in my car so he agreed to clean it afterwards. Result!

B: Halloumi, mushrooms and wilted spinach topped with a poached egg. Coffee and cream.

L: DD mug bread ( see previous post) with cream cheese and smoked salmon.

Mid aft. Costa coffee and cream while shopping with daughter and grandchildren

D: 2 lamb chops and cauliflower cheese. Couple of glasses of red wine.
I really love your avatar pic, @DJC3.

Reactions: DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Struggling to keep up with the forum and this thread in particular at the moment.

@Inchindown - the hot chicken drumsticks got me salivating

@purplepenguin - I’m in the craving camp too, tonight, triggered by lemon zucchini cake

@ianpspurs - glad you enjoyed the bread

Eaten rather more than intended today:

Breakfast - none

Lunch - M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos, peperami and 30g almonds

Dinner - small fathead pizza with pepperoni and Polish sausage topping followed much later by a slice of lemon zucchini cake and cream. Cake baked to take to my Dad’s tomorrow. Too large for intended box so forced to try some! Not quite as lemony as the first time. Recipe still needs tweaking

Snacks - 2 x 20g bars of Willies Venezuela dark chocolate and 1 x bag of mixed nuts in Cafe Nero and a small bag of baked cheese

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really love your avatar pic, @DJC3.

Thanks very much - she is our very much missed rescue terrier Tilly. She died unexpectedly a few weeks ago and the house is a quieter, duller place without her.
Your avatar is pretty cute too - who is she?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks very much - she is our very much missed rescue terrier Tilly. She died unexpectedly a few weeks ago and the house is a quieter, duller place without her.
Your avatar is pretty cute too - who is she?
Ah, just love a rescue dog, and I know it is so painful when you lose them.

My avatar is a kune kune pig. One of a few kept by friends.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah, just love a rescue dog, and I know it is so painful when you lose them.

My avatar is a kune kune pig. One of a few kept by friends.

Fabulous - I’ve never heard of kune kune pigs, your one looks very inquisitive and comical.

Reactions: Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fabulous - I’ve never heard of kune kune pigs, your one looks very inquisitive and comical.
A New Zealand breed. She was thanking me for feeding her peas in the pod.

I have to say her offsping were delicious. :bag:

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. I know I ddin't sleep well but seem to have woken up in mid September:angelic: People are doing ditching and hedging - not proper farmers but comers in:arghh: We have soo many apples this year and they are very big. We are right next to a big apple orchard and the growers have been selling fruit there for at least 35 years so selling is hard and giving away next to their stall is very unneighbourly. We are talking 300 kgs at least. Shame to just fell them but may end up that way, Anyhow, menu below:

Breakfast: 3 mugs tea _ Starbucks Vente size
Mid morning snack: 35 mins Ex bike
Lunch: Egg mayo (h/m mayo + our eggs) sandwich - Schneider Brot Protein Bread; M and S Chorizo and Diabolo Cheddar rolitos; Own cherry tomatoes; cucumber and radishes; Lemon Green tea - very much in my comfort zone ( Bread is not as dark or strong tasting as high carb ones - bit like Burgen but good trade off and nothing we make comes close) 37 mins dog walk over wide open fields must be coming to the end of that pleasure
Afternoon snack: Tea; 3 remaining rollitos; ; and H/M high fibre chock bar
Evening meal: Remains of Thursday's keto meat sauce disaster with added lamb mince, tomato and tomato puree and mushrooms; more garlic, fresh thyme and basil; broccoli rice - that's better:woot::woot: strawberries and 5% fage. No exercise as no BT Sport in the gym and this football is funny
Edit: 2 hrs reading of evening meal was 5.7. Not what I want necessarily but worth that level in terms of taste and peace of mind.

Last edited:

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh my goodness the cravings for anything carb heavy! So proud of myself that I’ve resisted but it’s been so painful. I even had my shoes on at one point to go to McDonald’s. I.did.not.go!

Anyhow food today was
B-nothing
L-Sainsbury’s saag paneer and soured cream
D-chicken with Cajun spices, fried mushrooms, bean sprouts and a tomato in garlic butter. It was surprisingly fab.