What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: Slice of Livlife with butter, cream cheese, and a sprinkle of mixed seeds, coffee with double cream

Lunch: "salad" of raw baby broad beans, stilton, basil leaves and cress with lemon juice and zest; followed by somewhat sinful Oppo salted caramel ice cream with a few crumbled roasted pecans and Sukrin Gold syrup; mint tea.

Dinner: stir fry - turkey pieces with baby corn , sugar snap peas, tender stem broccoli, sweet red chili, spring onions, with lime juice, some Cooks' Ingredients Spicy Thai Mix and the last scraps of a pack of their diced shallots; redcurrants and yoghurt with a little powdered sweetener; cinnamon tea; piece of 85% Lindt chocolate.

And not enough water so far...

Robbity

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
@shelley262 what a fabulous holiday, the food, wine, sunshine, attentive hotel staff - what could be nicer. It sounds perfect.

@jayney27 what a long drawn out bug this is! I woke up feeling dreadful but actually feel fine now so hope it’s finally gone, and that you’ll be better soon too.
Lots of tea and almond milk first thing - couldn’t face coffee ( I always go off coffee if I’m ill)
B: 2 bacon and a fried egg on a reheated DD naan
L: smoked salmon, cream cheese and avocado. Followed by low carb brownie with a dollop of clotted cream and 6 raspberries

D: Chicken adobo done in IP ( many thanks for the recipe link @DCUKMod I used monkfruit instead of sugar and coconut aminos instead of soy sauce) with stir fried cauli rice, mushrooms, courgettes and red pepper.
Handful of Callebaut 100% cocoa buttons and decaf coffee with cream ( feeling lots better this afternoon)
Glad you are feeling better, I think I’m turning the corner too, hopefully a good nights sleep will see this bug off for good x

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect my love of trifle is responsible. I always thought properly set custard Was The best part of a trifle.
I wouldn't ever choose it if eating out even if I wasn't watching carbs but as a rare dessert I could tolerate it. Doesn't come close to a few bites of a straight off the tree apple or plum one has grown.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch at Subway (I love their nutritional calculator, you can add and remove items and it works it all out for you!
https://www.subway.com/en-gb/menunutrition/menu/product?ProductId=4993&MenuCategoryId=437 ) my chicken tikka salad choices came to 8.3g carbs :)
Mid afternoon: Diet Pepsi and a caramel Carb Killa bar.
Dinner: bolognese with butternut squashetti with grated extra strong cheddar followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel for you @DJC3 & Jayney27. My arms and legs had gone again and my BGs appeared to have shot up but it was a new Libre sensor measuring high. Having stabbed myself I actually went To bed on 5.7 and FBG was 5.5. It has need sitting a bit higher though and my arms are still achy.
B. Wanted a change. Slice of Gluten free black pudding, 4 rashers crispy streaky bacon and 3 ricotta souffle pancakes with 2 teaspoons of monk fruit maple syrup.
Breyers choc ice.
Libre starting to settle. I was a day late applying it and I know they take 2 days to settle.
Now I can't stop thinking about creme brulee. Must get more eggs tomorrow.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel for you @DJC3 & Jayney27. My arms and legs had gone again and my BGs appeared to have shot up but it was a new Libre sensor measuring high. Having stabbed myself I actually went To bed on 5.7 and FBG was 5.5. It has need sitting a bit higher though and my arms are still achy.
B. Wanted a change. Slice of Gluten free black pudding, 4 rashers crispy streaky bacon and 3 ricotta souffle pancakes with 2 teaspoons of monk fruit maple syrup.
Breyers choc ice.
Libre starting to settle. I was a day late applying it and I know they take 2 days to settle.
Omitted to add dinner (no lunch) - prawn salad with lettuce, tomato, 1/2 avocado and a boiled egg.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all.

@DJC3 and @jayney27 -- Glad to read that you are doing a bit better. Keeping my fingers crossed for a continued recovery.
@maglil55 -- Sorry to hear about your achy arms. Hugs.
@shelley262 -- Thassos sounds heavenly. Great that you enjoy your time there. You really deserve this.

Trying to up my carbs a bit to produce fewer ketones. I have to admit, it is kind of hard (psychologically) to add more carbs. Trying to do my best, not sure yet how well it is working. Blood sugars have been okay today, but not as good as last week.

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Wanted to eat, but was unable, just not hungry.

Lunch: Soup with merguez, bellpepper, mushrooms and tomatoes. A DD keto roll with mayonnaise, cheese and beef salami. Two heaped tablespoons of lupin-hummus. A whole fig.

Snack: About 30g of 85% chocolate.

Dinner: Fried asparagus in olive oil. Two heaped tablespoons of lupin-hummus. A quarter of a t-bone steak. Two smallish calamari. Fried eggplant, tomatoes, garlic in pureed tomato sauce. Two strawberries. One glass of red wine.

Skipping exercise today to further reduce ketones.

Geoffno6

Hello all,
B Rachox porridge then bacon and egg
L at Gatwick - cheese, ham, rocket with a pickled onion and prosecco, then a carb zilla bar
D in Jersey - ribs with as much sauce as possible scraped off and salad

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Trying to up my carbs a bit to produce fewer ketones. I have to admit, it is kind of hard (psychologically) to add more carbs. Trying to do my best, not sure yet how well it is working. Skipping exercise today to further reduce ketones.

Hi @ziggy_w interested in this. How high are your ketones? Are they causing you a problem?

Reactions: ziggy_w

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all.

@DJC3 and @jayney27 -- Glad to read that you are doing a bit better. Keeping my fingers crossed for a continued recovery.
@shelley262 -- Thassos sounds heavenly. Great that you enjoy your time there. You really deserve this.

Trying to up my carbs a bit to produce fewer ketones. I have to admit, it is kind of hard (psychologically) to add more carbs. Trying to do my best, not sure yet how well it is working. Blood sugars have been okay today, but not as good as last week.

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Wanted to eat, but was unable, just not hungry.

Lunch: Soup with merguez, bellpepper, mushrooms and tomatoes. A DD keto roll with mayonnaise, cheese and beef salami. Two heaped tablespoons of lupin-hummus. A whole fig.

Dinner: Fried asparagus in olive oil. Two heaped tablespoons of lupin-hummus. A quarter of a t-bone steak. Two smallish calamari. Fried eggplant, tomatoes, garlic in pureed tomato sauce. Two strawberries. One glass of red wine.

Wow a whole fig - boy do I miss them luckily I was told that along with the pomegranates their local varieties have another couple of weeks to ripen so not having to say no - phew! I know your dr was concerned about your ketones and I’m liking the look of the extra veg and fruit - But wondered if your dr gave a good reason for you not to have raised ketones? Did he advise you in that direction because of health worries?

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all.

Thank you for the good wishes x

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breyers choc ice.
Hope you feel better soon too x

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @ziggy_w interested in this. How high are your ketones? Are they causing you a problem?

Hi @Goonergal, @shelley262,

Thank you so much for your interest and concern.

Last year, ketones in my urine were at the 4+ range, which was the maximum possible. My GP then send me to the hospital to get a blood gas analysis and it turned out that my blood was acidic leading to a diagnosis of metabolic acidosis. Initially, they wanted to keep me at the hospital, but in the end, they they told me to stop cutting carbs. They also suggested, it might be a problem with my kidneys. Back at my GP's, he didn't think kidneys were the problem, but he also suggested letting my HbA1c rise to 6%.

For obvious reasons, I didn't want to do this. First, with an HbA1c of 6%, the risk of a lot of complications such as neuropathy already rises significantly. Second, I found an article a couple of months ago, testing the effect of a ketogenic diet on blood acidity and there is no relationship. If you are interested, here is the link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5608861/.

Since then, I have added NaHCO3 (Baking soda) to my diet. Baking soda serves to buffer blood acidity. Regardless, it seems that I am producing more ketones than I am burning, thus a lot end up in my urine.

Not sure whether I should be concerned about this. I would really like to find out why this happens, but am extremely doubtful that the necessary tests would be paid for. Like in the UK, health insurance only seems to start paying once something very bad happens.

Regardless, I had to bring in a urine sample this morning and didn't want to set off alarm bells again by having a levels of ketones in it. So, tried to up my carb content a bit and cut the exercise yesterday. Happy to say it seems to have worked as urine ketones were only in the 2+ range this morning.

Have an appointment with my GP this afternoon to talk about results. As always, I am a bit apprehensive and been slightly stressed, but hope for the best. Glad, though, that blood tests are only once a year.

So, for the time being I am just trying to help the body deal with the acidity.

As to the fig @shelley262, it was quite as sweet as I thought it would be. Maybe, it wasn't fully ripe yet. Unfortunately, it is hard to enjoy having "forbidden fruit" quite as much if you have to eat it for "medical" reasons. Blood sugars actually dealt quite well with the fig, btw.

The food in Greece sounds very delicious, shelley262. You have actually inspired me to think about going to Greece myself next year. Like you, I would probably go at the end of summer as temperature seem to be a bit more reasonable.

@Goonergal -- how is your cutting out of sweets going?

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Last year, ketones in my urine were at the 4+ range, which was the maximum possible. My GP then send me to the hospital to get a blood gas analysis and it turned out that my blood was acidic leading to a diagnosis of metabolic acidosis. Initially, they wanted to keep me at the hospital, but in the end, they they told me to stop cutting carbs. They also suggested, it might be a problem with my kidneys. Back at my GP's, he didn't think kidneys were the problem, but he also suggested letting my HbA1c rise to 6%.

For obvious reasons, I didn't want to do this. First, with an HbA1c of 6%, the risk of a lot of complications such as neuropathy already rises significantly. Second, I found an article a couple of months ago, testing the effect of a ketogenic diet on blood acidity and there is no relationship. If you are interested, here is the link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5608861/.

Since then, I have added NaHCO3 (Baking soda) to my diet. Baking soda serves to buffer blood acidity. Regardless, it seems that I am producing more ketones than I am burning, thus a lot end up in my urine.

Not sure whether I should be concerned about this. I would really like to find out why this happens, but am extremely doubtful that the necessary tests would be paid for. Like in the UK, health insurance only seems to start paying once something very bad happens.

Regardless, I had to bring in a urine sample this morning and didn't want to set off alarm bells again by having a levels of ketones in it. So, tried to up my carb content a bit and cut the exercise yesterday. Happy to say it seems to have worked as urine ketones were only in the 2+ range this morning.

Have an appointment with my GP this afternoon to talk about results. As always, I am a bit apprehensive and been slightly stressed, but hope for the best. Glad, though, that blood tests are only once a year.

As to the fig @shelley262, it was quite as sweet as I thought it would be. Maybe, it wasn't fully ripe yet. Unfortunately, it is hard to enjoy having "forbidden fruit" quite as much if you have to eat it for "medical" reasons. Blood sugars actually dealt quite well with the fig, btw.

The food in Greece sounds very delicious, shelley262. You have actually inspired me to think about going to Greece myself next year. Like you, I would probably go at the end of summer as temperature seem to be a bit more reasonable.

I absolutely love figs! There are some really good ones in M&S at the moment. Nowadays I have to limit my consumption but can manage 2 with little effect.
My very first encounter with figs was in Spain where I consumed 10 the day before I was due to fly. Obviously I didn't know their effect on the digestive system! Still love them though especially with Parma ham.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks, really interesting. Will have a look at the link you shared. So far so good with avoiding the sweet stuff - swerved a whole load of dark (but not dark enough to tempt me) chocolate at a work meeting today. Definitely noticing cravings for something sweet after eating, so think I’ve made the right decision. On the other hand, definitely feeling less hungry.

Reactions: jayney27

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Breakfast cheese omlette, slice ham and cube feta cheese plus bit of butter melted on omlette!
Lunch 15! Grilled small sardines served with lemon juice and olive oil
Dinner pre dinner walnuts and red wine, beef stifado and tzatziki with red wine followed by Greek yoghurt was served a starter described as eggs, feta and tomatoes but one taste just like pasta so think it was and passed it to OH!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Very long day today, but a good one!

Lunch - at work meeting where only sandwiches were provided. Had taken supplies with me so ate one 65g bag salted almonds and one 30g bag plain almonds. Also salvaged a small amount of smoked salmon from inside a couple of the sandwiches.

Dinner - treated myself to a small doner kebab (no bread) with salad.

@ziggy_w hope your GP appointment went well and results were as good as you deserve them to be.

@jayney27 and @DJC3 hope you’re recovering and @shelley262 I just get greener and greener.

Reactions: maglil55