What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all

The IP came out to play three times today @ianpspurs I can see you rolling your eyes!

When I first got up I threw remaining chicken carcasses in and left stock to brew. Thanks for the tip re concentrating it @DCUKMod.
Ran out of jars but never mind - used the remaining stock to knock up a quick chicken and mushroom soup for lunch ( I had a couple of chicken legs in the fridge).

Then this evening I made Rogan Josh from Twosleevers.com. It’s probably sacrilege to say but I’m getting a teensy bit bored with cauliflower rice so had it with shredded sprouts sauteed in butter.

Oh, forgot breakfast - not done in IP! A scrambled egg, 1/2 avocado and 50g smoked salmon.

@shelley262 your new avatar is great - hope the bee sting has calmed down - my money Would definitely on that for raising bgs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all

The IP came out to play three times today @ianpspurs I can see you rolling your eyes!

When I first got up I threw remaining chicken carcasses in and left stock to brew. Thanks for the tip re concentrating it @DCUKMod.
Ran out of jars but never mind - used the remaining stock to knock up a quick chicken and mushroom soup for lunch ( I had a couple of chicken legs in the fridge).

Then this evening I made Rogan Josh from Twosleevers.com. It’s probably sacrilege to say but I’m getting a teensy bit bored with cauliflower rice so had it with shredded sprouts sauteed in butter.

Oh, forgot breakfast - not done in IP! A scrambled egg, 1/2 avocado and 50g smoked salmon.

@shelley262 your new avatar is great - hope the bee sting has calmed down - my money Would definitely on that for raising bgs
Don't have the strength for eye rolls today but I am glad IP is a worthwhile investment for you. I am waiting for the sliding doors moment with ours. You must know by now just what a patient chap I am:angelic:

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't have the strength for eye rolls today but I am glad IP is a worthwhile investment for you. I am waiting for the sliding doors moment with ours. You must know by now just what a patient chap I am:angelic:

Hope you get your mojo back soon - do you think you’re getting a second sitting of the horrible lurgy?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope you get your mojo back soon - do you think you’re getting a second sitting of the horrible lurgy?
Seems incredibly stop go. Just wonder if swimming lesson and 12k steps took more out of me than I thought. I don't think this thing has ever completely cleared up this month. Very frustrating not being able to launch the reboot.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Much, much better menu today

Breakfast-Hi-lo toast with butter
Lunch-Sausage, bacon. tomatoes, mushrooms and egg.
Dinner - pate, salad and rollitos. Strawberries and cream. Two squares of 85% Moser Roth chocolate

Still hungry:greedy:

...so I ate a packet of pork crackling

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold roast chicken with cauliflower, broccoli and radish salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: orange chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: Waitrose chicken with lime, coconut and chilli with mixed veg and celeriac mash followed by SF jelly with cream and LC chocolate granola.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seems incredibly stop go. Just wonder if swimming lesson and 12k steps took more out of me than I thought. I don't think this thing has ever completely cleared up this month. Very frustrating not being able to launch the reboot.

Could be. Hope you get over it soon whatever it is.

Reactions: ziggy_w

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all busy day today long hike up to amphitheater this am - new avatar shows me hiking up there in the sun!
Breakfast cheese omlette and coffee
Lunch three lamb chops with olive oil and salad
Dinner chicken leg with Greek salad and red wine followed by Greek yoghurt
Had a higher than normal spike before dinner was it:
The long hike in the heat?
The sprinkle of balsamic on late lunch salad?
The bee sting this afternoon whilst I was sunbathing? This was blooming painful!
Answers on a postcard to me on the island of Thassos Greece!
Hug for the sting and spike, looks like you are having a wonderful time though, I’m almost on the count down for my holiday. Thankfully this dreadful cold is almost out of sight so I can look forward to going away.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad to see that you @jayney27 and @DJC3 are feeling a bit better.
Sorry to hear that your arms are paining you again, @maglil55. What does your GP say about this?

Quick update on my blood test results -- though most of you have already seen this on the other thread (--> What were your fasting blood sugars?)

HbA1c: 36 (5.4%) -- significantly higher than expected on finger prick testing.
Fasting blood sugars: 4.4 mmol
Kidney test: all seems to be fine -- was a bit of a concern since hospital GP suggested blood acidity might have been due to kidney problems.
Cholesterol test: Total 5.5 mmol, HDL 1.45 mmol, LDL 3.7 mmol, trigs 0.85 mmol (blood test didn't report trigs, but can be calculated based on total, HDL and LDL -- GP thought LDL was more important than trigs, respectfully disagreed with him and said that in my opinion thinking has changed on this lately). All in all results were similar to last time, both HDL and trigs a bit lower -- I guess it's a wash.

Ketones: Still present in urine, not much of a surprise there as I had also seen this myself using ketostix. We agreed, though, that I would stay on the ketogenic diet and would buffer blood acidity by taking baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). He helped me by looking up the appropriate dose. Felt very happy with this.

Also got a referral to maybe get some of the dark blotches on my left leg remedied -- they are a leftover from the deep vein thrombosis three years ago and wearing compression stockings.

In conclusion, I would say it was a successful appointment, though tbh a bit disappointed with HbA1c.

Last edited:

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, been a full on day.
Coffee with cream when I woke, no breakfast as it took me a while to get going, decided to go back to work and that consumed all my energy this morning.
Got to work, 4 days worth of emails not as bad as I was dreading, all cancelled training rebooked by 10am so pleased with that, then needed to take part in a 2hr Skype meeting, decided that I wanted to eat but it was way too late for breakfast but a bit early for lunch, I then ate everything I had;
Chicken salad, a small snack size M&S chicken kebab, some chorizo crisps and Philadelphia
Packet of pork scratchings as an afternoon snack as I knew evening meal would be late, yoga Wednesday
D pork chops with celeriac and cauli mash, clafoutis and cream

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Meals in the last two days ...

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: A DD keto roll with mayonnaise with cheese and beef salami.

Dinner: Out at a French tapas place. Two small lamp chops with garlic and herbs. Three small pieces of rabbit liver in a cognac-cream sauce. Two glasses of red wine.

Later at home: Still a bit hungry -- so a few pieces of 85% chocolate, a wiener sausage, a DD keto roll with lettuce, mayonnaise and shrimp.

No eliptical trainer, but walked about 8 km yesterday.

Today:

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: A DD keto roll with lettuce, mayonnaise and shrimps. Some85% chocolate. A wiener sausage.

Snack: Some low-carb muesli (2.5g per 100g) and a small piece of low-carb cheese cake.

Very, very early dinner: Soup with oxtail, red curry paste, coconut milk, Hokaido pumpkin, bellpepper and mushrooms. A whole avocado, Greek yoghurt with olive oil, lupin-hummus.

Later: One glass of red wine.

Edited to add the snack, which I had forgotten about.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.7 FBG 6.6 so still higher than normal. Got into Aqua today and that helped my achy arms. Had a Fire Alarm this morning before school went in and No 1 was distressed because he didn't want the school to burn down. Told him most children would probably celebrate! I did reassure him though that it was nothing (and so it proved).
B. Scrambled egg and a Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Post aqua. Mozzarella pearls, remains of the anchovies and Honduran prawns.
D. A new one from M&S Vietnamese caramel pork with oomi noodles.
Raspberry chia pudding and 6 raspberries.

Got into Aqua tomorrow too, going to visit sister and I feed the boys after school. Busy day.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad to see that you @jayney27 and @DJC3 are feeling a bit better.
Sorry to hear that your arms are paining you again, @maglil55. What does your GP say about this?

Quick update on my blood test results -- though most of you have already seen this on the other thread (--> What were your fasting blood sugars?)

HbA1c: 36 (5.4%) -- significantly higher than expected on finger prick testing.
Fasting blood sugars: 4.4 mmol
Kidney test: all seems to be fine -- was a bit of a concern since hospital GP suggested blood acidity might have been due to kidney problems.
Cholesterol test: Total 5.5 mmol, HDL 1.45 mmol, LDL 3.7 mmol, trigs 0.85 mmol (blood test didn't report trigs, but can be calculated based on total, HDL and LDL -- GP thought LDL was more important than trigs, respectfully disagreed with him and said that in my opinion thinking has changed on this lately). All in all results were similar to last time, HDL a bit lower an trigs a bit lower -- I guess it's a wash.

Ketones: Still present in urine, not much of a surprise there as I had also seen this myself using ketostix. We agreed, though, that I would stay on the ketogenic diet and would buffer blood acidity by taking baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). He helped me by looking up the appropriate dose. Felt very happy with this.

Also got a referral to maybe get some of the dark blotches on my left leg remedied -- they are a leftover from the deep vein thrombosis three years ago and wearing compression stockings.

In conclusion, I would say it was a successful appointment, though tbh a bit disappointed with HbA1c.
Thank you, feeling so much better today.
Hope you aren’t too disappointed with your results, I think we always want all our hard work and dedication to be rewarded and occasionally although the overall result is good and positive it’s not a reflection of what our hearts and minds wanted.

Reactions: ianpspurs

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @jayney27 for your kind words. I agree, I really wanted and expected the HbA1c to be lower. Especially since finger prick readings on average were one whole mmol lower than suggested by HbA1c results. HbA1c points to 6 mmol average blood sugar levels, though I rarely see 6 mmol even when blood sugars peak after a meal (for me about 45 minutes to one hour later).

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today:
B :Greek yogurt and walnuts, ginger tea
L: olives and cheese coffee with cream
D: stir fry veg with chicken, low carb choc cake and cream, tonic water sugar free variety, coffee.
Tuesday
B: Greek yogurt, raspberries, ginger tea
L: ham with ricotta cheese, coffee.
D: baked salmon with runner beans and cauliflower buffalo bites, tonic water low sugar type.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast AKA nightime snack: last piece of applewood cheese, and a poor womans mocha: coffee, Truvia and double cream with a teaspoon full of Green & Blacks cocoa. We sometimes used be given this at work donkeys years ago by a Jewish student when it was her turn for coffee break duty, though with milk not cream. It's been a favourite comfort drink ever since.

Lunch: pea shoots with chopped ham, (raw) sugar snap peas, radish, baby cucumber, spring onions and chopped mint with lemon juice & zest, and Hellmanns; caramel Oppo again with pecan & Sukrin syrup; mint tea.

Dinner: sort of cheat stroganoff - diced pork medallion(??) stir fried with chestnut mushrooms, sweet paprika and parsely, finished off with a squirt of (bottled) lemon and a dollop of soured cream; redcurrants with truvia and Greek yoghurt; cinnamon tea.

Lots of water!