What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Those buttons certainly come highly recommended @maglil55.

I think you are very stoic and brave with everything you've had to cope with.
I recommend the buttons too I discovered them a year ago! I also like their standard 90% chocolate .

Reactions: Tori71

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Again I'm a bit late posting.

@maglil55. I am so very sorry to hear about your sister. You've definitely had a tough year. Thinking of you and sending you a hug.
@DJC3 -- So happy to read that DD is working for you and your blood sugars are much closer to where you want to see them. Really well done.

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol Leftover soup (Oxtail, red curry paste, beef broth, pumpkin, celery, mushrooms, ground beef). A Wiener sausage with mustard.

Lunch: Nothing.

Snack: About 3 squares of 85% chocolate.

Dinner: A very small serving of leftover soup. Two scrambled eggs with mushroom and cheddar. Two filet of lamb with a yoghurt-tahini sauce. Half an avocado. A glass of red wine.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Shock of my life just before dinner. Meter showed 16.9!!! Never seen a reading like that. Hasty retest revealed a 5. Still high for that time of day but at least reasonable!

Lunch was M&S Serrano ham and manchego rollitos and 2 Scottish smoked salmon parcels followed by 40g Hema 85% chocolate. New tactic with the chocolate - broke a section off and dumped the rest in bin on the way back to the office. Stress was high so knew the rest would have been eaten!

Dinner- Shake Shack. Newly discovered branch. Bunless cheeseburger with tomato onion lettuce and mayonnaise.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As you guys know, I'm not a chocolate lover, but when in Tesco today buying a wine lake (25% off when 6 or more bottles purchased, so churlish not to!), I noticed Green & Black's all on offer.

15 bottles of wine, but no chocolate reached my trolley. There will be a further, similar amount tomorrow. They're also doing their 10p a litre off fuel, on spending £60 in store or online.

That'll keep us going for a while!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal poor you I got a 12 once like you pre meal normally low - a real shock but turned out meter faulty it eventually gave an error message and company sent a replacement thankfully when I rang them about it.
Lovely sunny day and managed a good walk in the sunshine - wonderful.
Breakfast one slice bacon and egg
Lunch couple of LC crispbreads and range of cheese with five walnuts followed by one square of chocolate and coffee
Dinner bolognese on a bed of mushrooms followed by raspberry clafoutis with yoghurt
Now fasting ready for blood draw in the morning for my 6 monthly hbaca1. I’m not sure if having full lipids again or not but not taking any chances just for in case so doing the usual 14 hour fast water only. Mind you I tend to fast most nights anyway only difference is normally I have a mug of weak black tea at bedtime and first thing but will just be sticking to water! If nhs don’t do a lipids tomorrow I may do a private test next week to see how it’s going. Also flu jab tomorrow so no doubt will put up my bgs for a few days.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@Goonergal -- I can imagine the shock. Something similar happened to me just a couple of days ago -- I promise you I could hear my heart beating in chest and in my neck.

@shelley262 -- Good luck on your blood tests tomorrow.

Blood sugars were still a bit wonky today. Went up to 6.4 before supper and without food. Didn't rise at all half an hour and one hour after food, even slightly lower and then down to 5.7 after one and a half hours and now at 1 hour 50 minutes 5.4. Hope blood sugars will settle and behave more predictably tomorrow.

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Half a serving of leftover soup. Two scrambled eggs with a slice of cheddar. Half an avocado.

Lunch: Nothing, only another cup of double espresso with cream and erythritol.

Early afternoon snack: A wiener sausage and a mini-piece of low-carb cheesecake.

Supper: Lamb's lettuce with Caesar's dressing and parmesan. Four small lamb chops, a tiny bit of lupin-hummus and a small DD keto roll (fresh from the oven) with butter. No wine today, just water.

Reactions: maglil55

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm. lets see…

Day before yesterday:
prawns with avocado oil mayo
Am away from home, and a guest, so choices somewhat restricted. Also portion sizes!
Which led to a hypo at 6pm and the rapid consumption of a pork pie to rectify.
Not happy about that, but needs must. Gluten in the pastry too. But it did what it was meant to do, and I didn’t rip out the throats of those around me in hypo-rage (which had looked quite likely at one point).
Then a mixed grill in pub that evening.

Yesterday:
Chicken livers in cream and rosemary for lunch
2 pork chops with added butter as evening meal

Have now arranged a private stash of hypo preventers, including milk choc, nuts and tins of fish to deal with varying severity. Hopefully won’t need any of them, but just in case… It has been a loooong time since my last hypo, so a bit of a surprise.

Today:
Rest of chicken livers for lunch. Lovely.
And baked salmon in curried mayo this evening.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Accidental 26 hr fast and keto day which was caused by finally getting up at 2.10. Then the couple of hours for a meter fitting at my son's turned into 8+. @Goonergal the look on your face when seeing that number must have been epic. @ziggy_w hope your blood sugars behave like a perfect class. I am not planning on repeating this kind of day but there are very few carbs in there so tomorrow may start rather early.

Breakfast: Tea - 4 pints by 4.00 a.m.; 2 cups later
Dockey : Coffee with soya milk
Lunch : None
Mid Afternoon: Tea
Evening meal: ½ Iceland fish casserole and 3 flaxseed crackers; CCB and cream

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
poor you I got a 12 once like you pre meal normally low - a real shock but turned out meter faulty

I can imagine the shock. Something similar happened to me just a couple of days ago -- I promise you I could hear my heart beating in chest and in my nec

Thanks both and @ziggy_w hope your BGs settle down soon and good luck tomorrow @shelley262 although I’m sure you won’t need it.

@ianpspurs it took a while to compute! (Forum stopped me adding more than 2 quotes). And hope you get some sleep.

@Brunneria the hypo must have been a shock. Hope there is no reoccurrence.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
@Goonergal that shock was probably enough to put your reall bg up I imagine.
@ziggy_w my sympathies re wonky bgs today, its so frustrating when there’s no obvious reason.
@shelley262 good luck tomorrow, I’m sure your results will be great but its still nerveracking. I had my flu jab last week and haven’t had any nasty reactions.
@Brunneria I hope you’re feeling ok now, it must be so scary.
@ianpspurs I do hope you sleep better tonight. 2:30 is a ridiculous time to be waking up - although I see you used the opportunity to drink more tea.

I spent a lot iof the day baking traditional cakes for another Macmillan bake sale. Looking through my trusty Delia’s book of Cakes to find recipes where I could use up any remaining regular baking ingredients, I came accross a brownie recipe I thought could be easily adapted to low carb
https://www.mydish.co.uk/recipe/8982/delia-smiths-american-brownies
I tried it - substituting erythritol for sugar and almond flour for wheat flour, weight for weight and it worked well. I figure 1.5 carb each if cut into 15

2 meals today as I had aquafit at lunchtime-

Brunch: DD spinach and bacon frittata

Dinner: DD Zucchini pasta with cream cheese and smoked salmon.
A warm low carb brownie with a dollop of extra thick cream.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had to post this. Just popped up on a Facebook group I’m in (Keto for women over 50).

Genius. Planning dips for the weekend already.

Attachments

• 94BBD12D-10A0-4EBB-9709-C140D2DFF6D6.jpeg
    94BBD12D-10A0-4EBB-9709-C140D2DFF6D6.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 344

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: M&S ham and cheddar rollitos (thanks @Goonergal for keeping on mentioning them, I finally got around to buying some!) with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon on the M25 car park: raspberry phd bar and SF squash.
Dinner: cheese omelette with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by SF jelly with chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.3 FBG 6.2. Very stable and no DP to be seen. So was it the Bailey's or the GF toast. Had the boys for a while today who both got very absorbed in their stuff from The Roman Baths. Got all my washing done and dried. Tomorrow - iron and repack for trip 2.

B. 2 GF pork chipolatos, slice fried halloumi, Portobello mushroom, 2 rashers crispy bacon and a fried egg. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing - had the boys here.
D. Gammon steak with a fried egg and a few sweet potato chips.
Another coffee.
Also made more of the IP Keto creme brulee and had one with a few more of the M&S mixed berries.

I'm doing OK. Still all a bit surreal. Can't even go swimming as the pool is being reminded.

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hmm. lets see…

Day before yesterday:
prawns with avocado oil mayo
Am away from home, and a guest, so choices somewhat restricted. Also portion sizes!
Which led to a hypo at 6pm and the rapid consumption of a pork pie to rectify.
Not happy about that, but needs must. Gluten in the pastry too. But it did what it was meant to do, and I didn’t rip out the throats of those around me in hypo-rage (which had looked quite likely at one point).
Then a mixed grill in pub that evening.

Yesterday:
Chicken livers in cream and rosemary for lunch
2 pork chops with added butter as evening meal

Have now arranged a private stash of hypo preventers, including milk choc, nuts and tins of fish to deal with varying severity. Hopefully won’t need any of them, but just in case… It has been a loooong time since my last hypo, so a bit of a surprise.

Today:
Rest of chicken livers for lunch. Lovely.
And baked salmon in curried mayo this evening.
Hope you're OK now? xx

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all. Shock of my life just before dinner. Meter showed 16.9!!! Never seen a reading like that. Hasty retest revealed a 5. Still high for that time of day but at least reasonable!

Lunch was M&S Serrano ham and manchego rollitos and 2 Scottish smoked salmon parcels followed by 40g Hema 85% chocolate. New tactic with the chocolate - broke a section off and dumped the rest in bin on the way back to the office. Stress was high so knew the rest would have been eaten!

Dinner- Shake Shack. Newly discovered branch. Bunless cheeseburger with tomato onion lettuce and mayonnaise.
Yikes! I've had 12's and that's bad enough. Faulty meter or something on the fingers is The normal cause.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Those buttons certainly come highly recommended @maglil55.

I think you are very stoic and brave with everything you've had to cope with.
Thank you x A lot of people rely on me for various things so I just have to keep going. The boys introduced me to Baby Shark today - can't get it out of my head now. If you haven't come across it check it out on you tube.