What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sad day today and a bit reflective as my cousin died this morning - always difficult living so far away can’t give the same support to family as would like to give but visiting mum in a weeks time for a week for hospital visits etc so not rushing up this week also don’t know when funeral will take place.

So sorry to read about your loss, @shelley262. Please accept a big hug from me. Thinking of you.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone. I havent been able to get onto the forum for a couple of hrs - dont know if it was the app or website playing up.

@shelley262 I’m so sorry to read your sad news. I agree it can be very difficult living far from family.

@Goonergal I thought of you too around Canning town - was trying to figure out if I was in your neck of the woods. Ive never been on the DLR before - bit spooky being driverless.

Breakfast today, quite early a cheese omelette with coffee and cream.

Spent all day at Discover Dogs at the ExCel - lots of eateries there but Most were very carb heavy. Finally found a salad and sandwich place, all food had nutritional info on the label so picked a chicken and bacon Caesar salad at 5.4 g carbs. Wasn’t very filling though
Late afternoon ate my emergency Adonis bar.
It was a great day, fell in love with so many dogs and there were brilliant displays including one from medical assistance dogs who can smell illness such as cancer and hypo/ hyperglycaemia in diabetics. I spoke to one of the owners who had T1D and had no hypo awareness she said she used to have up to 8 hypos a day and was hospitalised a couple of times a week, but since having her adorable poodle she’d only had 2 in 4 years. The dog just brings her testing kit to her when he smells there is something wrong, evennwaking her up at night and accompanying her to work, absolutely brilliant, her life has been transformed.

Arrived back tired late and happy and stopped off at Nandos for dinner - chicken thighs, halloumi and avocado with extra mayo.

@ianpspurs I share Mrs P’s irritation with family members who can’t load the dishwasher properly, they think I’m just being finicky but I know I’m just doing it right!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone. I havent been able to get onto the forum for a couple of hrs - dont know if it was the app or website playing up.

@shelley262 I’m so sorry to read your sad news. I agree it can be very difficult living far from family.

@Goonergal I thought of you too around Canning town - was trying to figure out if I was in your neck of the woods. Ive never been on the DLR before - bit spooky being driverless.

Breakfast today, quite early a cheese omelette with coffee and cream.

Spent all day at Discover Dogs at the ExCel - lots of eateries there but Most were very carb heavy. Finally found a salad and sandwich place, all food had nutritional info on the label so picked a chicken and bacon Caesar salad at 5.4 g carbs. Wasn’t very filling though
Late afternoon ate my emergency Adonis bar.
It was a great day, fell in love with so many dogs and there were brilliant displays including one from medical assistance dogs who can smell illness such as cancer and hypo/ hyperglycaemia in diabetics. I spoke to one of the owners who had T1D and had no hypo awareness she said she used to have up to 8 hypos a day and was hospitalised a couple of times a week, but since having her adorable poodle she’d only had 2 in 4 years. The dog just brings her testing kit to her when he smells there is something wrong, evennwaking her up at night and accompanying her to work, absolutely brilliant, her life has been transformed.

Arrived back tired late and happy and stopped off at Nandos for dinner - chicken thighs, halloumi and avocado with extra mayo.

@ianpspurs I share Mrs P’s irritation with family members who can’t load the dishwasher properly, they think I’m just being finicky but I know I’m just doing it right!

Have you settled on a breed for a new furry friend?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So sorry @shelley262 for you and the rest of the family.

Food today ended up being in a 3hr eating window.
Started at 2pm with some goatsmilk yog
Then lamb mince and butter at 4pm
With 100g brie to follow.

STILL not hitting the fat: protein rations i want. But am completely satiated, so am on the right track.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you settled on a breed for a new furry friend?

We’ve whittled it down to a choice of about 50 now!
IMG_5769.jpg

This is Caspar the diabetes medical assistance dog.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: last piece of applewood cheddar till Mr Ocado brings some more on Monday. coffee with double cream and truvia

Lunch: Titchy crayfish tails, little gem lettuce and baby cucumber with Hellmanns mayonnaise with sweet smoked paprika and a drop of lime juice; sightly under-ripe golden kiwi fruit; lemongrass and ginger tea

Dinner: rest of my persian spicy lamb and aubergine; turmeric tea; followed by Halo Top vanilla ice cream; followed by a couple of teaspoons of my altered and now nicely chocolate flavoured crunchy hazelnut butter, followed by 2 pieces of Lindt 85% chocolate, and a post dinner level of 8.4- up from pre-dinner 7.3. Oh dear me - I wonder how that could have possibly happened!! :oops::wideyed: (Started off with a much better fasting level than recent efforts at 6.4 then was back up to mid 7s by lunch time... I feel at the moment I'd be better off if someone would kindly come and chop my elephant sized legs off!)

Plenty of water during the day helped down with minor additions of lime juice or fresh lemon - just enough to taste without being mouth puckering.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We’ve whittled it down to a choice of about 50 now!
View attachment 29096
This is Caspar the diabetes medical assistance dog.

He’s gorgeous.

Love the DLR. Have become very adept at nabbing the front seat!

Forum was also down for me on the website - very slow this morning too.

Last edited:

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been enjoying shell-less tacos lately. Ground beef with taco seasoning, topped with sour cream and shredded cheese, then topped with shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions, and more shredded cheese. Yummy.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been enjoying shell-less tacos lately. Ground beef with taco seasoning, topped with sour cream and shredded cheese, then topped with shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions, and more shredded cheese. Yummy.
Sound very tasty @neithskye. That post does confirm my thoughts that there are many WOE within this big tent LC framework - which is good but demands that you either know your own body really well or learn by mistakes. Glad you "found your happy." U2 nailed it for me

Reactions: neithskye

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sound very tasty @neithskye. That post does confirm my thoughts that there are many WOE within this big tent LC framework - which is good but demands that you either know your own body really well or learn by mistakes.

It's only been just over three months since I was diagnosed so I'm still learning. What does this mean? Is what I made not a good meal? It has protein, fat, and is low carb. When I tested two hours after eating my BG was 4.9 mmol. Just curious, because I'm still learning, and not sure I'm doing everything right yet. :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It's only been just over three months since I was diagnosed so I'm still learning. What does this mean? Is what I made not a good meal? It has protein, fat, and is low carb. When I tested two hours after eating my BG was 4.9 mmol. Just curious, because I'm still learning, and not sure I'm doing everything right yet. :)
Seems to me the 4.9 shows it was all fine. Initially, I also tested at 4 hrs as some meals look good at 2 hrs then reveal their issues. It is good that you have found a meal you enjoy which also keeps bg levels in a good place. Read this thread and others long enough and you will see there is no "right". However, I am some way from orthodox here
In another thread someone likened making your own choices to the military mindset "is this a hill you are prepared to die on." Take your time and think hard about what your own hill is as each one of us has very different visions and nutritional needs.

Last edited:

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Seems to me the 4.9 shows it was all fine. Initially, I also tested at 4 hrs as some meals look good at 2 hrs then reveal their issues. It is good that you have found a meal you enjoy which also keeps bg levels in a good place. Read this thread and others long enough and you will see there is no "right". However, I am some way from orthodox here
In another thread someone likened making your own choices as the military mindset "is this a hill you are prepare to die on." Take your time and think hard about what your own hill is as each one of us has very different visions and nutritional needs.

I've never enjoyed cooking. My "cooking routine" before diagnosis was ordering a pizza online. :p I'm amazed that I'm actually doing things like chopping up vegetables now. My BG at diagnosis in July was 16.2 mmol. I've been consistently testing both FBG and post-meal BG for the past few weeks in the 4.2-4.9 mmol range. I'll keep trying new things and learning. :)

Reactions: DJC3

fran57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, and cheats.
Sad day today and a bit reflective as my cousin died this morning - always difficult living so far away can’t give the same support to family as would like to give but visiting mum in a weeks time for a week for hospital visits etc so not rushing up this week also don’t know when funeral will take place.
Breakfast sausage, quarter piece of lodough eggy bread and fried egg
Lunch tin of red salmon with acv and olive oil with lc seeded crispbreads
Dinner chicken curry with mint raita and glass red wine followed by Lc trifle
@fran57 your fats were only high because of two tins of mackerel in olive oil but it’s good fat and try not to worry. Main change I would hav3 made is having something like omlette or bacon and egg instead of porridge and full fat hummus with olive oil rather than low fat but it’s a personal choice and you need to experiment. Did you take your blood readings after the porridge? Mine would have been sky high but maybe you don’t react as much? Good luck you’re doing great I did the low carb programme and slowly reduced my carbs down to 20g per day but now I’m on maintenance I eat under 30g per day
@Goonergal and @ziggy_w pleased you’re both returning to your normal bgs - it’s weird how it goes often no rhyme or reason we can all just keep trying and getting results most of the time.
Hi, yes I think the porridge did not help, before 5.7 and they went to 6.9, I even had a good walk with me dog after, so think I may cut them out, shame cause I really like them, and I did wonder about the huomus, they have gone down to 6.1 now, think it will be a case of trial and error, lol. thank you

Reactions: Serena51

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never enjoyed cooking. My "cooking routine" before diagnosis was ordering a pizza online. :p I'm amazed that I'm actually doing things like chopping up vegetables now. My BG at diagnosis in July was 16.2 mmol. I've been consistently testing both FBG and post-meal BG for the past few weeks in the 4.2-4.9 mmol range. I'll keep trying new things and learning. :)
Sounds to me as though you have things about right. Try, test, learn:):)

Geoffno6

Bed 5.3 FBG 6.2. Got a bit used to cooked breakfasts while away so cooked one myself yesterday. Not quite the same as getting it cooked for you though. Got the boys for a fair bit of today but away again early tomorrow.
Thursday
B. 2 GF pork chipolatos, fried egg, GF black pudding, crispy streaky bacon and a mushroom. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing was busy ironing and repacking.
D. Chicken breast. I had some of these Tesco mini packs of veg so steamed the one with sugar snaps, carrot batons, broccoli and green beans. Added a few more green beans and asperagus. Fried the chicken breast a bit then popped in the oven with the veg , a mushroom and Tesco's cider and mustard sauce with a touch of cream. Came out rather good.
Later had a Keto creme brulee with the last of the M&S berry medley. Hubby refilled my blowtorch and I got the most fabulous burnt 'toffee' inulin top on the brulee. Still have 2 left!

Oh wow, I didn’t know there was a Keto creme brûlée !!! And you can caramelise inulin!!! Pudding is looking up :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh wow, I didn’t know there was a Keto creme brûlée !!! And you can caramelise inulin!!! Pudding is looking up :)
I don't really do puddings and had reached 63 thinking creme brulee would make me heave but even I can find a place in my life for them sometimes.

Reactions: Geoffno6

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

What you’re doing is obviously working - those are really good bgs especially as you’ve only been at it for 3 months.
Your shell-less tacos sound great, far better than a takeaway pizza. Well done, I look forward to seeing more of your posts on here.