1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What have you eaten today?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Administrator, Apr 20, 2015.

1. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Master

Starting early for tomorrow - short ribs in the sous vide cooking overnight.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Debandez

Debandez Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

What a day! Not one to be repeated!

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  3. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

To be honest I fibbed and told him I’d jiggled the padlock about - realised after he’d gone to get the cutters and was too embarrassed to mention the code!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  4. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

@Goonergal
    goodness, you were up early this morning!

Yesterday was a bit of a disaster food wise. But I can't bring myself to regret it. :D

Started off well, with lamb mince with added marrow fat (which is delicious, by the way, and came from some beef femurs I got from the butcher. They cost £3 and yielded about 6 litres of stunningly good beef bone broth and what looks like about a pound of glorious marrow fat.

Then I skipped lunch because we were out for a family dinner after work.
    - which meant I turned up at the carvery hungry. Always a bad idea.
    They all had the standard carvery, which meant I was already jealous of the roast parsnips, red cabbage and mashed carrots.

But i decided to have the mixed grill, which is excellent there. Had it before.

Only this time they brought a pile of the most glorious golden, crisp yet fluffy, perfectly fried, ultra-hot chips, didn't they?
    10x better than the usual boring nothing-special pile of potato.
    And I was done for.
    Managed to stop after about 2/3rds.
    And then I had half a toffee icecream sundae.

:hilarious: Estimating there were approx 129g ;) carbs in the meal, so technically just inside the low carb zone (if you squint).

Actually felt quite good on it. No crashing tiredness, no hyper sugar buzz followed by a crash. Presumably all the fat helped with that. And I have woken up feeling pretty good. Didn't test because it was a long meal and quite a long evening, and I hadn't taken my meter because I hadn't expected to need it. Haha!

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 5
  5. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

You'll never get to heaven!!!

(But you'll probably find the interesting people where you end up. :) )

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ianpspurs

Good food, well prepared is always going to be tasty and satisfying. Absurd to deny it. Seems to me that if we are to go rogue do it on purpose and on those conditions. Glad you enjoyed the meal and had no adverse reactions.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. maglil55

maglil55 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone for the kind thoughts. Yesterday was awful but not as awful as I feared. Just catching up again having gone back into routine today. I did smile at @Goonergal's code and @ianpspurs 'hovering' - it put a Michael J Fox vision in my head! I'm not sure everything had hit me yet but routine is good.
    Bed 6.7 FBG was also 6.7. It did go up into the 8's for a short time but soon descended again.
    B. Very early start to get ready, boys to breakfast club and through the traffic so coffee only and water in the car. 1 hr 50 mins later made it to the church.
    L. After the services in an Italian restaurant but a buffet where there was food I'd love to eat but very little I could eat. Was impressed by hubby though who glanced along the trays and could pick out what was or wasn't OK. Ended up with a slice of mortadella, 2 slices salami, 10 mussels , octopus salad and 3 brussel sprouts and green beans. Weird I know but that was it. I was one of 3 drivers so it was 1.5 bottles of water for me no wine.
    D. Had a large bowl of the broccoli and spinach soup I made yesterday and it tasted just as good as the one I had in the restaurant in Bath. Will have it again tomorrow and freeze the rest. It's very green.
    Had another coffee and a grenade caramel chaos bar after as I was dozing off.
    Keep on hovering @ianpspurs!

• Like Like x 6
    • Hug Hug x 2
  8. ianpspurs

Glad I was able to provide relief @maglil55. Since I couldn't be bothered to use the Kirby it was more hovering than hoovering:) I have no idea who or what Michael J Fox is

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    #19368 ianpspurs, Oct 25, 2018 at 11:15 AM
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  9. maglil55

https://goo.gl/images/3XDn2b

Back to the Future

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ianpspurs

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  11. Tori71

Tori71 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

The best film trilogy of my teenage years, that's what!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. ianpspurs

Thanks @Tori71 I don't really do films but now I know

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Tori71

Early post today as out this evening for Tapas with my sister and two of my best friends celebrating my liberation from work:joyful:

Breakfast - Hi-lo toast and butter
    Lunch - Avocado, serrano ham and olives. Strawberries and cream. Two pieces of 85% Lindt.
    Dinner - Tapas!

Thought I'd have a go at making my own 'bounty bar' chocolate shards net week with some 90% chocolate. Would make a change from the plain stuff. Anyone tried this?

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. Tori71

It was kind of an '80's girl thing @ianpspurs . Was very distressed to see that Michael J Fox is now 57, then realised I'd got old too!!!:banghead::bigtears:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  15. maglil55

I found it so sad he was diagnosed with Parkinson's at such an early age.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Tori71

I know, and he does some sterling work in combating the disease. I think he has set up a foundation.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Evening all. Glad you got through yesterday @maglil55

Long day today. Series of work meetings in Middlesbrough. Currently ensconced in a pub (nice comfy armchair) at York Station regretting my decision to play safe and not risk an 8 minute connection. Would have made it. An hour to kill now.

Took packed lunch and dinner with me and also ended up buying a morning snack of 2 individual portions of mature cheddar. Lunch was one boiled egg, 25g cheese and a tin of Waitrose wild Alaskan salmon mixed with mayonnaise. Dinner was salami and smoked cheese.

Looking forward to bed!

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  18. ianpspurs

Great day here for this late in the year, hope everyone had good weather. In the great scheme of things and especially historically I am truly blessed. I am now beating myself up for beating myself up about feeling guilty over how my routine is removing some of the pleasure from food, exercise and even rest. What a bizarre specimen I am. Hope y'all are more normal.
    Breakfast: Tea and scrambled egg with pre cooked bacon (3 eggs and cream); exercise bike then test and more tea; .4 rise from fasting but on good days can get a fall - don’t think breakfast really works on hunger or bg levels for me
    Dockey : Walk - desperate not to add carbs or cals with having breakfast
    Lunch : 1.5 Short ribs cooked overnight in sous vide with some of the gravy saved from the brisket on Sunday thickened with maybe 10/15 gms gravy granules ; mushrooms; small portion of frozen cauliflower; Tassimo Americano Grande with double cream - spent 2 hrs wondering about bg and why I was wondering about ....
    Evening: CCB - 1/2 hr ago now wondering ......:doctor::doctor:

• Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. jayney27

jayney27 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Evening all, much more control today which feels “normal”
    No breakfast
    Small pack of pork scratchings
    Late lunch while out getting in some shopping for partners mum, 2 large pigs in blankets with an individual pot of Philadelphia
    D gammon steak, celeriac mash and peas, oppo raspberry cheesecake dessert
    No readings in the 5’s today but still seem to have a slight head cold

• Like Like x 5
    • Hug Hug x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi all hope everyone had a good day
    Breakfast quarter lodough eggy bread, bacon and egg
    Lunch ham, cheese, nuts and a couple of home grown purple tomatoes
    Dinner thanks @Bubbsie did halloumi chips using your recipe what a revelation - they will be a regular addition to my repertoire and made double so on menu for tomorrow too!why didn’t I try them before? Pork ribs, halloumi fries and buttered mushrooms with glass dry white wine followed by Lc raspberry mousse.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook