What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"I wasn't naughty I was just a little bit annoying".

:D Brilliant!

"You're proud? I'm very proud of myself Nana".

Those kids sound like they have great personalities

Shopping is definitely more fun when looking for smaller sizes though isn’t it?

Agree. Definitely think I’ve caught your jumper buying habit. I nearly always prefer the men’s versions of things (especially jackets as they have much more sensible pocket arrangements - can’t be doing with handbags) and now I’m smaller even some long sleeved items are an option as I can buy the very small sizes

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, I seem to be in the what jumpers did you buy this week thread.:angelic: The warmth and lightweight solution is base layers and lightweight fleeces. @Goonergal pockets are a major consideration for me so walking trousers are hugely popular (with base layer bottoms and waterproof overtrousers)- zip off ones for choice as so lightweight and quick drying for summer. Writing this before 5.30 with 3 layers on, 2 thicknesses of fleece

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The warmth and lightweight solution is base layers and lightweight fleeces

Ah, but there’s something very comforting about a nice snugly jumper. Sitting in my new one right now - heating had broken at work last week so layered up in case it hasn’t been fixed.

Reactions: Pipp

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Morning all. Didn’t get to post yesterday - crazy working week finally caught up with me and I collapsed into bed at 6.30pm, having struggled to stay awake while dinner cooked!

@Brunneria your whole menu for yesterday sounds fab. Think I’m going to start experimenting with making pate. Do you need a full on food processor or would my hand blender/mini chopper suffice?

@maglil55 great idea to make sweet things you don’t like!

@LittleGreyCat is bullet resistant coffee a ‘lightweight’ version of bullet proof coffee?

@DJC3 your suggestion of buying more jumpers obviously lodged itself in my brain as I arrived home with one in my bag.

Yesterday’s menu was lunch at Five Guys post walking football. Cheeseburger with mayonnaise. Going bunless there is normal, but lack of toppings clearly isn’t - loud exclamation: plain?!

Dinner was beef short rib.
Bullet resistant is coffee, double cream and butter. Just missing the coconut oil.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah, but there’s something very comforting about a nice snugly jumper. Sitting in my new one right now - heating had broken at work last week so layered up in case it hasn’t been fixed.
There is something much warmer about a lightweight cashmere jumper - warm and smugly tends to be a synonym for family sized tent.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to hear of your weight gain. It’s such a fine balance isn’t it? As soon as I think I’ve cracked it my body seems to catch up and reset itself so I’m finding I’m having to eat lower and lower carb, more and more fat and do more exercise just to get the same results. It’s very frustrating.
Thanks, @DJC3. The weight really is my secondary concern. It is annoying but I still weigh over 20kg less than at my heaviest. It is just that it cannot be separated from the higher BG levels I have been experiencing since I had to have steroid meds earlier this year. The extra weight is what I believe is impacting on my personal fat threshold. I get a bit tired of the stereotype that prevails, i.e. fat = greedy, lazy, takeaway eating, poorly educated person.
Although I am enjoying the taste of higher fat foods, I am not coping well with the reduction in veg. Also I feel full and sluggish. The carbs foods have never been an issue for me. I never did have a sweet tooth, and can live without pasta, bread, spuds etc. I do miss fruit though, and sometimes crave a piece of crunchy toast. I think the solution for now will be for me to have several weeks of low carb low calorie eating. I need to see if I can reduce the early morning fasting level, and so a breakfast several hours before noon will be a start. We each have to find our own way through the maze.

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:D Brilliant!

Those kids sound like they have great personalities

Agree. Definitely think I’ve caught your jumper buying habit. I nearly always prefer the men’s versions of things (especially jackets as they have much more sensible pocket arrangements - can’t be doing with handbags) and now I’m smaller even some long sleeved items are an option as I can buy the very small sizes
The little one in particular is 5 going on 45 and has swallowed a dictionary.
He was busy trying to correct his Mum yesterday in the car and Mum was reminding him that he didn't know everything. Before he could object No 1 announced "don't try to teach Granny how to suck eggs - or in this case Mum". What does that mean ? " it means people who have been around longer know more than you" . So I don't have to suck eggs then?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, @DJC3. The weight really is my secondary concern. It is annoying but I still weigh over 20kg less than at my heaviest. It is just that it cannot be separated from the higher BG levels I have been experiencing since I had to have steroid meds earlier this year. The extra weight is what I believe is impacting on my personal fat threshold. I get a bit tired of the stereotype that prevails, i.e. fat = greedy, lazy, takeaway eating, poorly educated person.
Although I am enjoying the taste of higher fat foods, I am not coping well with the reduction in veg. Also I feel full and sluggish. The carbs foods have never been an issue for me. I never did have a sweet tooth, and can live without pasta, bread, spuds etc. I do miss fruit though, and sometimes crave a piece of crunchy toast. I think the solution for now will be for me to have several weeks of low carb low calorie eating. I need to see if I can reduce the early morning fasting level, and so a breakfast several hours before noon will be a start. We each have to find our own way through the maze.

You’re right, we each have to find our own way - it doesn’t seem as simple as just giving up the white and beige carbs.
Like you I didn’t really have a problem with the pasta/ rice/ bread etc and enjoy the high fat food but I’ve found the last couple of days that what was working for me for a fortnight or so seems not to be working now and bgs are starting to rise again for no obvious reason. It’s maddening.
I’m wondering if ‘eating to the meter’ is baloney as the same food a couple of weeks apart will give different readings. Obviously a Mars bar would give a massive spike but if it comes to weighing out spinach because 30g is ok but 40g is not that is v depressing.
I hope you find a way that works for you - it must be doubly difficult if you are taking steroids, are they long term or will you be off them one day?

Reactions: jayney27

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nope - when it's my turn I start the planning in August since as well as low carbers I have shellfish allergies to deal with (not me), 1 coeliac, a vegan and dairy allergies. A teetotal one too but that's easy.
I try to minimise the work by making most things gluten free and having alternatives to cover everything else. So not sad - organised!
No wonder you have to plan in advance! I have it easy;)

Reactions: maglil55

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You’re right, we each have to find our own way - it doesn’t seem as simple as just giving up the white and beige carbs.
Like you I didn’t really have a problem with the pasta/ rice/ bread etc and enjoy the high fat food but I’ve found the last couple of days that what was working for me for a fortnight or so seems not to be working now and bgs are starting to rise again for no obvious reason. It’s maddening.
I’m wondering if ‘eating to the meter’ is baloney as the same food a couple of weeks apart will give different readings. Obviously a Mars bar would give a massive spike but if it comes to weighing out spinach because 30g is ok but 40g is not that is v depressing.
I hope you find a way that works for you - it must be doubly difficult if you are taking steroids, are they long term or will you be off them one day?
I don't think eating to the meter is a problem so much as expecting the levels to be unaffected by the amount and intensity of exercise, hydration, stress levels, sleep etc. Those are important variables which we don't/can't control for. Anyhow, them's my onions but what do I know - I ain't very good at this anyhow

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think eating to the meter is a problem so much as expecting the levels to be unaffected by the amount and intensity of exercise, hydration, stress levels, sleep etc. Those are important variables which we don't/can't control for. Anyhow, them's my onions but what do I know - I ain't very goo at this anyhow

You’re better at it than me.

Reactions: Pipp

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@ianpspurs so glad I wore my big jumper to work. Heating had not been fixed and it was freezing. Was first in the queue when Argos around the corner from the office opened at 9. Bought two heaters for our room. Brownie point number 1 from colleagues.

Point number two was for the cakes - went down a storm, especially the raspberry clafoutis which disappeared in seconds. Some brainwashing has obviously gone on - overheard someone saying ‘but @Goonergal s cakes are healthy. It’s like eating a salad’!

Felt unusually hungry during the morning. Checked BG around 10.30 and was 3.5 so decided to eat lunch at that point. Smoked salmon and some of the delicious M&S whipped creamy cheese.

Lunch was with the birthday girl at work - 2 fried eggs and 2 rashers bacon.

Then there was this afternoon’s cake fest. I had a small(ish) piece of everything and some extra thick double cream.

Dinner (brined chicken prepared at the weekend) has been abolished.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@ianpspurs so glad I wore my big jumper to work. Heating had not been fixed and it was freezing. Was first in the queue when Argos around the corner from the office opened at 9. Bought two heaters for our room. Brownie point number 1 from colleagues.

Point number two was for the cakes - went down a storm, especially the raspberry clafoutis which disappeared in seconds. Some brainwashing has obviously gone on - overheard someone saying ‘but @Goonergal s cakes are healthy. It’s like eating a salad’!

Felt unusually hungry during the morning. Checked BG around 10.30 and was 3.5 so decided to eat lunch at that point. Smoked salmon and some of the delicious M&S whipped creamy cheese.

Lunch was with the birthday girl at work - 2 fried eggs and 2 rashers bacon.

Then there was this afternoon’s cake fest. I had a small(ish) piece of everything and some extra thick double cream.

Dinner (brined chicken prepared at the weekend) has been abolished.
Be a good girl and eat the chicken:angelic: Are cakes carnivore?:angelic: All sounds good - please don't taunt me when we ship a shedload of goals tonight - my boiler may be broken so I deserve sympathy:arghh:

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Be a good girl and eat the chicken:angelic: Are cakes carnivore?:angelic: All sounds good - please don't taunt me when we ship a shedload of goals tonight - my boiler my be broken so I deserve sympathy:arghh:

Definitely sympathy for the boiler. Tonight’s game comes into the category of wanting both teams to lose.

Reactions: maglil55 and Pipp

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I should probably be thankful we don’t have a JD Williams here. Shopping is definitely more fun when looking for smaller sizes though isn’t it? I didn’t often wear jumpers when I was bigger but seem to have developed a serious jumper habit last winter.
More jumper stories to annoy the boys;)
Went to Sainsburys today, they have 25% off so bought a really thick jumper I have had my eye on. Was too lazy to try it on and guess what??? it's stupidly tight around the inset of the arms so it has to go back:arghh:. I need jumpers!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Breakfast - Hi lo toast and butter
Lunch- Pate, salad, rollitos. Strawberries and cream.
Dinner - Scrambled egg. Two squares of green and blacks.
Snacks - Smoked almonds

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely sympathy for the boiler. Tonight’s game comes into the category of wanting both teams to lose.
I think we will see you right but I can't see City losing to us. Poch needs to move on for his own good - this squad needed rebuilding over the summer IMHO.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Stressful day but got there eventually in the end! As fast as I resolved something another issue popped up! Lots of time on phone and intervening in difficult situations.
Breakfast one slice bacon, lodough eggy bread and fried egg in between urgent phone calls.
Lunch range of cheese, four seeded lc crispbreads and one piece of lc lemon cake
Dinner cauli mash, trout and lemon butter and a largish glass of wine (rare for me on a Monday but needed today!) followed by lc lemon mousse
Cooking preps completed and packing just about done - off on travels in the morning. Hope to post while away but may be a bit erratic depends on how things are.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I will decide about today when the engineer has inspected the boiler in a while - never mind the slow motion car crash that will be Spurs tonight.

Breakfast: Tassimo Americano Grande with cream then tea when sleeping beauty put in an appearance
Dockey : Tea after rowing and exercise bike
Lunch : 1 Avocado; 2 slices Ox tongue .4 gms carb each; Wiltshire cure ham trace carb; spring onions; celery; chia seeds; Stokes garlic mayo - then 1 hr walk
Mid Afternoon: Filter coffee with frothy soya milk; ham and cheese as I was hungry - at that stage 3:30 ish - the boiler rattled and sounded like a light aircraft taking off
Evening meal: Roast duck; cauliflower mash with wholegrain mustard stirred through (0.9gms carb per 10 gms portion) ; mushrooms; red wine sauce - the duck was a small wild bird about the size of a plump pigeon; no more game atm Julie won't eat rabbit and isn't too fond of venison I likey very muchly

Last edited: