kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Alexandra100, Great title !!
51 years ago ( do not worry the following is short) I would have loved to have known that there would be fancy insulins, syringes and pens that did not have to be boiled up, blood testing at home rather than urine testing, CGMs and Insulin Pumps .
And that I would not have to worry so much about complications !!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Alexandra100, Great title !!
51 years ago ( do not worry the following is short) I would have loved to have known that there would be fancy insulins, syringes and pens that did not have to be boiled up, blood testing at home rather than urine testing, CGMs and Insulin Pumps .
And that I would not have to worry so much about complications !!
You are what Dr Bernstein calls "a survivor" (high praise from him)! Just think what great advances await us in the next few years. Already less invasive, cheaper CGMs in the pipeline. I can't wait!

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like the phrase: “BG data is a speedometer and a learning tool, not a grade”

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Conversely things I'm glad I didn't know when I was a teenager...we were on the brink of a cure just a couple of years away, and now (40 years later) I am looking forward to the development of a non-invasive CGM. There still is no cure, I'm glad I didn't know that back then. I'm also glad I didn't know that my hateful 1 injection a day would become 5, although I would never have expected you could take them with you (without meths, a fridge, etc) and that they would be so quick and easy. I'm glad I didn't know then that blood tests would be the way forward. With my old head I see these have been vast improvements, but at the time each one was a shock.
I do wish I had known that whilst not curable it would get soo much easier, and that all the complication we were constantly warned about are actually not inevitable. I might have looked after me more carefully had I known I would still be going strong all this time later.
Thanks @Alexandra100 for an interesting thread x