What if you don’t like vegetables?

No_Veg_Ned

Hi,

Recently diagnosed with Type 2 and I’m really struggling with food. I’ve never liked vegetables and always been a carb gal hence my hefty 22 stone waistline. I’m trying to change but I really cannot stand vegetables. I’ve been trying to eat them since diagnosed but still really struggling and end up getting so hungry that I dive into a big plate of carbs. Anybody else have this problem? Got any tips? I just want a satisfying meal.

mouseee

Dont forget you can eat lots of protein! There are people on here who eat carnivore style and rarely touch a vegetable. Although I'd miss them.
Have you tried roasting them? They take on a different flavour and texture. Roasted cauliflower and broccoli are particular favs in my house.

Reactions: AloeSvea

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @No_Veg_Ned and welcome to the forum

The good news is you don’t need to eat veg. There are a number of us in here - pretty much all type 2s - who eat either no veg or very limited quantities of veg and control portions diabetes very well.

Personally I eat a diet of animal based products - meat, fish, eggs are the staples, with some dairy - cheese, cream and an occasional yoghurt (natural, Greek style).

Head over to Carnivore Corner: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/carnivore-corner.164920/ for some ideas. Some of us also post on this thread: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/

This website is also helpful: https://zerocarbzen.com/

Finally, am tagging a few of the friendly carnivores for further advice and support @bulkbiker @Brunneria @Jim Lahey

No_Veg_Ned

Hi @No_Veg_Ned and welcome to the forum

The good news is you don’t need to eat veg. There are a number of us in here - pretty much all type 2s - who eat either no veg or very limited quantities of veg and control portions diabetes very well.

Personally I eat a diet of animal based products - meat, fish, eggs are the staples, with some dairy - cheese, cream and an occasional yoghurt (natural, Greek style).

Thanks! I think this is the way for me!

Edited by moderator for clarity

No_Veg_Ned

Dont forget you can eat lots of protein! There are people on here who eat carnivore style and rarely touch a vegetable. Although I'd miss them.
Have you tried roasting them? They take on a different flavour and texture. Roasted cauliflower and broccoli are particular favs in my house.

Hi!

I’ve tried roasting them and quite enjoyed them but then the next time they were terribly crunchy and I think it’s the texture that doesn’t help me. I find I cremate them but inside they are still quite tough

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Recently diagnosed with Type 2 and I’m really struggling with food. I’ve never liked vegetables and always been a carb gal hence my hefty 22 stone waistline. I’m trying to change but I really cannot stand vegetables. I’ve been trying to eat them since diagnosed but still really struggling and end up getting so hungry that I dive into a big plate of carbs. Anybody else have this problem? Got any tips? I just want a satisfying meal.
Yay for the Carnivore way of eating then. ;) Really, there's no need to go hungry. If veggies are no more than dreaded filler for you, just stick with low to no carb things you do enjoy. It really is that simple.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

I used to love veg, it was the mainpoint of my meals, but then I got an tummy upset a few years ago, and had to stop eating all fibre... and without carbs... well, that just left protein and fat.

now (over 2 years later) I think my guts could adjust back up to some veg, but frankly, I don't see the point. They certainly look pretty, but my tastes have adjusted a lot. Salad is all cold and wet and odd explosions of flavour. Cooked veg now smell revolting to me - including all the cabbage family. When my husband cooks broccoli I throw open every door and window. Yet I used to love them! lol.

And after so long without veg, I certainly feel OK. I eat a wide variety of meat, fish, eggs and cheese, and stick to roughly keto macros. I love the tastes and textures, although finding a good crunchy food can be a challenge (pork scratchings and crackling are an excellent option for that).

Because of my gut issues, I take a few supplements (especially with the coronavirus around and wanting to have my immune system working in tip top fashion), but my guts are sooooooo much better without fibre that I realise I must have been having problems for years before giving up on the veg.

Anyway, you asked how to manage without veg or carbs.
Here are some suggestions:

Lidl's do a protein noodle that is v low carb. Oomi do a similar product. they make an excellent pasta sub
There are some low carb breads and bread recipes out there. Also some bread mixes that you just add water to. There are even carnivore pizza recipes out there.

I seem to enjoy food more if I have a variety of things on my plate, so when I can be bothered, I like to serve 2 or 3 different foods rather than just 'steak'. So think steak, with an egg and a few garlic chilli prawns, or a blob of pate next to a chicken breast, with bacon rashers (which is really just a deconstructed version of the chicken breast stuffed with pate, wrapped in bacon, that my butcher preps, and then charges absurd amounts for one breast).

IF you want to continue with veg, you can try things like cauliflower rice, or mashed cauliflower, both of which make good substitutes for rice and potato mash. But personally, I can no longer get past the smell.
Oh, and mushrooms... mushrooms fill a rather odd niche between veg and animal products. You may find them a useful addition. But it depends entirely on your tastes.
And herbs and spices are your friends.

One thing I will say - our food bills dropped sharply when I went carni.
V curious. I had thought it would be the other way round.

If you are going to do carni seriously, then I suggest you do some proper reading on the subject.
Lots of info out there nowadays, some rather OTT and zealotous, whereas some is very sensible and helpful.
There is no reason why carni can't be a reasonably priced, sustainable, healthy way of eating, despite knee jerk reactions from people who haven't tried it properly.
Personally, my nutrition and digestive health is better than for the last 10 years, now I have stopped upsetting things with veg, and have sorted out the malabsorption that I used to have.

Oh, and I still eat small amounts of dark choc, and the odd bit of garnish, or raspberry, just not every day, and always in controlled portions. Well, except the choc. That isn't always rigidly controlled ;)

Last edited:

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to puree veg when my kids were younger but left chopped bits in the sauce for them to pick out, worked wonders and they ate their veg as part of their balanced diet....

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @No_Veg_Ned ,

Welcome to the forum.

What meds for your diabetes are you prescribed? If any.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks! I think this is the way for me!

Edited by moderator for clarity

Hi there - Could you just confirm what, if any, medication you are taking?

Some meds can make the switch to Carnivore a bit tricky. If you are on meds that need a bit of special attention, there could be some simple suggestions available to you.

Hopefully, you'll not be on anything needing special attention.

No_Veg_Ned

Hi there - Could you just confirm what, if any, medication you are taking?

Some meds can make the switch to Carnivore a bit tricky. If you are on meds that need a bit of special attention, there could be some simple suggestions available to you.

Hopefully, you'll not be on anything needing special attention.

I’m on metformin tablets 3 x a day

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds as though you are cooking the poor veges too hot and not long enough.
Turn down the heat drizzle with oil, turn them a few times during the cooking - add a sprinkle of pepper or herbs - love them a little.
I used to relish - or thought I did, mashed potato. What I liked was the cream. I can use swede or turnip, mash that and add cream - yum.

M

Member496333

I haven't touched a vegetable in almost a year. In fact, besides coffee, I am 100% plant-free. Thriving like an alpha, and getting stronger and happier every day eating nothing but animal produce. I'm not going to push it on anyone else, but for me it works.

But wait! It's not over yet. I have just recently found that COMAD (carnivore-one-meal-a-day) is basically a miracle cure for everything ever :nurse:

Reactions: MNawaz2 and D@n1el

sunny_alice

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to puree veg when my kids were younger but left chopped bits in the sauce for them to pick out, worked wonders and they ate their veg as part of their balanced diet....

People I know get around this by hiding vegetables in other things they eat. Add pureed veggies to chili, soup or quick bread etc, etc. Still, I believe there's no harm if you don't like vegs like you can always switch to multi vitamins. You're not alone, just have a look at this topic: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/just-hate-veg.91661/ - it's quite old, but here you can find some good ideas as well.
As for me, I now don't like the texture (even stir-fryed, meh) and I only eat vegetables regularly when my garden is in season but I found vegetable juices and smoothies somehow tolerable - smth like "virgin mary" is a good start for me. Be careful with mixing-in any fruits as they can change your blood sugar significantly.
Might not work for you, and certainly, it doesn't give you the same amount of fiber as raw-eating but worth a try if you have a blender or a simplistic juicer.