WHAT IS A DIABETIC DIET?!!

mandydowns

I was at my GP surgery the other day having an annual health check and the nurse says '......and you are following a diabetic diet?' I laughed and said 'What is that then?' and she was totally thrown. I looked it up on Google and on the NHS website it states that there is no diabetic diet, just a healthy balanced diet, which is recommended for everyone. I am aware that some of us chose LCHF eating and others chose other ways of eating - I was just suprised that a health care professional could be so out of touch with NHS guidelines!!

Mojo12

I would say that they mean a low carb and sugar diet. you have to watch the amount of cars you are eating because that is where all the sugars are hiding. You also have to limit your fruit intake each day as after three pieces they turn to sugar too. no sugary drinks everything has to be low sugar or if you can sugar free.

Reactions: 2 people

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being a diabetic and finding restrictions.to life style. people who do not understand the problems one has. not being able to afford to come back to uk for holidays as often, quite expensive. miss some foods that the French do not do. but can live with that French drivers. who love to tail gate. and they love to drive over the white line. in rural areas they are a pain. but get use to it. does put the wind up you. But driving in the UK found that drivers want to get as close as they can. and the traffic. it took me 25 minutes to get to friends house which was less then a mile away. due to traffic.
I have coffee no sugar tea no sugar. very rarely eat cakes. although I crave for an ice cream. but today I had a boiled egg for breakfast and 2 small slices of brown bread bg was 132 at 8am an at 1013 was 156. I thought that having an egg would help with my bg. Lunch had 4 crackers with cream cheese. coffee no sugar. taken 4.15 bg was 171. so fedup with all this having salmon tonight we shall see

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being a diabetic and finding restrictions.to life style. people who do not understand the problems one has. not being able to afford to come back to uk for holidays as often, quite expensive. miss some foods that the French do not do. but can live with that French drivers. who love to tail gate. and they love to drive over the white line. in rural areas they are a pain. but get use to it. does put the wind up you. But driving in the UK found that drivers want to get as close as they can. and the traffic. it took me 25 minutes to get to friends house which was less then a mile away. due to traffic.
will try that does that include butter or dry bread ?