WHAT IS A DIABETIC DIET?!!

mandydowns

I was at my GP surgery the other day having an annual health check and the nurse says '......and you are following a diabetic diet?' I laughed and said 'What is that then?' and she was totally thrown. I looked it up on Google and on the NHS website it states that there is no diabetic diet, just a healthy balanced diet, which is recommended for everyone. I am aware that some of us chose LCHF eating and others chose other ways of eating - I was just suprised that a health care professional could be so out of touch with NHS guidelines!! :(

Reactions: 2 people

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being a diabetic and finding restrictions.to life style. people who do not understand the problems one has. not being able to afford to come back to uk for holidays as often, quite expensive. miss some foods that the French do not do. but can live with that French drivers. who love to tail gate. and they love to drive over the white line. in rural areas they are a pain. but get use to it. does put the wind up you. But driving in the UK found that drivers want to get as close as they can. and the traffic. it took me 25 minutes to get to friends house which was less then a mile away. due to traffic.
I would like to know this as well

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not sure there is one, we all have our likes and dislikes when it comes to food much like non-diabetics.

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being a diabetic and finding restrictions.to life style. people who do not understand the problems one has. not being able to afford to come back to uk for holidays as often, quite expensive. miss some foods that the French do not do. but can live with that French drivers. who love to tail gate. and they love to drive over the white line. in rural areas they are a pain. but get use to it. does put the wind up you. But driving in the UK found that drivers want to get as close as they can. and the traffic. it took me 25 minutes to get to friends house which was less then a mile away. due to traffic.
what do other people have for breakfast ?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

I'm type 1 so obviously inject insulin. I eat porridge 6 mornings out of 7, I make it using milk & water and add pumpkin, sunflower and linseeds to the oats as it simmers, then I had a handful of frozen blueberries to it then tip it out into a bowl and add 2 spoonfuls of natural yogurt (Okins Bio-Pot). The other morning I'll have boiled eggs and toast.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well at least the DN didn't push the 'eat plenty of carbs with each meal' mantra. Better to say nothing than recommend an unhealthy diet for diabetics.

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
That different, I am type 2 so far. I will try the porridge and have blueberries which I froze and the natural yogourt . . always take bg before eating in the morning. and then 2 hours later. It would be nice to be able to have alow bg level in the morning after eating.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.

Bacon/egg/mushrooms/tomato, or
Eggs on slice of wholemeal toast, or
Greek yoghurt with berries and desiccated coconut

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have porridge but it isn't for everyone. It's an easily digestible food and so it can give you a quick spike. Avoid things like instant oats, quick cook oats etc., they are designed to cook quickly and they will be digested quickly. The best type of oats are pinhead or steel cut oats, the typical scotch oats, not to be confused with Scotts Oats, which is a marketing trick. Pinhead or steel cut oats take 45 mins minimum to cook but are full of fibre and, for many diabetics, won't trouble their BG levels. Some of the the rolled oats from health foods shops are quicker to cook bt you have to be careful. Best is to use a microwave and once boiling, don't cook for too long. A grainy chewy texture means that your digestive enzymes have some work still to do. A very smooth and creamy texture means that digestion will be very quick.

Müsli is very good as it is raw oats. You can add things like nuts and dried berries to it and add things like cinnamon or cocao powder for a difference in taste. You might get away with skimmed milk but to be safe, test. Otherwise, there are several milk substitutes around.