What is a diet?

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Aren't we all on a diet when we just eat what we normally eat?

I think it is generally accepted that when you have diabetes you need to take more care over what you eat and so what we eat is not a diet in the conventional and accepted way that people eat to lose weight.

Do you also have friends who keep saying that "it is time you came off that diet" clearly not realising that people with diabetes eat differently in order to control their condition?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
A diet to me is something you do for a while to lose weight. I prefer to think of
the changes I have made to my eating habits as a lifestyle change, one that I can live with for a long time.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Perhaps that confirms that the word diet is synonymous with eating to lose weight but I can't help feeling it would be nice to have a different word.

I don't call the way I eat 'a diet' but it is difficult to know what else to call it other than a (whatever it is) diet; lifestyle change doesn't roll off the tongue as easily and might need a lengthy explanation.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I think everything that you eat is your diet. That diet may be good or bad, too high or too low in calories/fat/sugar/salt or be made up of any combination of the food groups available. So in my view we are all on a diet everyday and if that diet keeps us healthy and in a good weight range well it must be okay. If your diet needs adjusting it needs to be changed to something that you can live with for the rest of your life and not just a few months.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Dictionary definition of diet makes it clear it's your way of eating. However the meaning has got corrupted to mean special diets, eg. diabetic, weight-loss, coeliac etc.
Hana

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
I do try to use the format - eating programme - so that diet doesn't become something that is to be adhered to at all costs thereby any deflection becomes a "sin" and can make you feel like a failure.
Much better to treat a little blip as just that and carry on as per.