What is considered Hypoglycemic

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in February of this year. Before I was diagnosed when out walking I would start to shake badly, sweat profusely,start fumbling with my hands, feel like I had no energy at all and my legs would feel like jelly. Once diagnosed I was put on Metformin and through medication and lots of changes to my diet I am doing quite well but sometimes I will still start to shake, lose my energy and sweat. I tested my BS today when this happened and it was 3.7. I have been told not to worry I can't go hypoglycemic so my question is "what is it called when you go below 3.9 but your're not on insulin, is it simply low blood sugar and is it anything to worry about."

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I don't get hung up on the "4 is the floor" saying, as I regularly run at under 4, and am absolutely fine. Currently, my 7, 14, 30 and 90 day average of my finger prick bloods is 4.2. My HbA1c is a bit higher, so I obviously miss quite a few peaks, but at present, I'm not stressing over that.

It is possible to hypo on Metformin. Indeed, it is possible for perfectly "normal", non-diabetic people to hypo.

Where do your bloods normally run, and have they been generally dropping lately? If your scores have been coming down of late, it is possible that is the reason you've felt a bit odd and caught the under 4 score.

As I say, I'm fine until I get to 3.4, which doesn't happen very often, but at that score, I feel a bit empty. I certainly don't grab a bunch of jelly babies or any of the other classic hypo treatments, because my view is, that would just set me on yo-yo, where I would shoot up (I have no idea how high), then come down again, and in all likelihood feel rough on the down again. If you read about T1s treating and over treating hypos there is quite a bit written about these rebound effects. If food is not imminent when I feel a bit off, I just have a cup or tea, with milk, which just lifts me gently into a much more comfortable score, then I eat as I normally would. To be honest, I don't think I've even bothered to test after the tea because if I feel fine again, that's good enough for me.

Other people have differing views, but that's my personal experience and view. I'm not saying it's how you have to be.

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I like the way you recover @AndBreathe. Add a small digestive and that's my bloods sorted.
Hypos appear to happen to anyone for multiple reasons and they are as common as hypers but seldom are the symptoms severe. It is only when you suffer the severe symptoms and there are many, that you start to notice. Non diabetics recover by a liver dump and don't even notice!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like the way you recover @AndBreathe. Add a small digestive and that's my bloods sorted.
Hypos appear to happen to anyone for multiple reasons and they are as common as hypers but seldom are the symptoms severe. It is only when you suffer the severe symptoms and there are many, that you start to notice. Non diabetics recover by a liver dump and don't even notice!

Thanks Nosher. My theory is I'm not being harmed, I'm hungry. So, provided I have some food on the relative near horizon, all I need to do is nudge myself to a place where I'm not in any discomfort. I don't want or need any of that yo-yo, rebounding stuff. Big numbers scare me far more than little numbers.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks Nosher. My theory is I'm not being harmed, I'm hungry. So, provided I have some food on the relative near horizon, all I need to do is nudge myself to a place where I'm not in any discomfort. I don't want or need any of that yo-yo, rebounding stuff. Big numbers scare me far more than little numbers.
I don't want to neither, both are no go zones for me, I am quite happy 'in the zone', even though my consultant wants me to try more carbs! No thank you!

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the reply. I was just a little surprised yesterday when it said 3.7, I ate an orange and had a cup of coffee which brought it up to 4.3 but the after effects lasted all night unfortunately. I don't believe in taking jelly beans or anything like that simply because I still have a bit of weight to lose. My numbers have been getting lower recently, I'm guessing because I have finally settled into my new way of eating and I have stopped craving carbs - yahoo! I think it takes time for my body to adjust to these lower BS as when I was diagnosed they were well it the 20's and I did have a few problems especially with the shaking as I changed the way I ate. Your reply was very helpful, thank you

Reactions: 2 people