What is going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oakdaledave

There seems to be some sort of 'unrest' on this forum at the moment. I ,like others, have no idea what it's all about. However, since becoming a member about 6 months ago I have made a number of posts and ONLY had very helpful and interesting replies from other members. The site as a whole has been a great source of information and help to me. I for one hope it continues to do so.

Dave

A

Anonymous

oakdaledave said:
There seems to be some sort of 'unrest' on this forum at the moment. I ,like others, have no idea what it's all about. However, since becoming a member about 6 months ago I have made a number of posts and ONLY had very helpful and interesting replies from other members. The site as a whole has been a great source of information and help to me. I for one hope it continues to do so.

Dave

Hi Dave, from another Dave :D

I too am a recent joiner having joined only a few months ago. Like you, I have found this forum to be very helpful and I have learned more about my diabetes in only a few weeks than I had learned in the previous three years since diagnosis!

Basically, a thread was started that talked about the complications of diabetes as a consequence of not managing it properly. It ended with the thread being deleted in its entirety and a number of members being banned. The reason, apparently, is that some of the comments in that thread were "insensitive" and were likely to cause distress and alarm to some people.

I haven't read the thread, so I can't comment further, but there does appear to be some issues regarding governance of the forum. I can only hope this is resolved.

Dave

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
To quote Ben Goldacre
'I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that.
and it would take all day, and whoever tried to explain there would be some bias.

Life goes on :)

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the confusion about what and what not to eat, provided by others who know it all!
I have been a member for 2yrs now, and have, like the above members, had only sound and informative advice. I think though, I would like to read all posts and not be mollycoddled and have posts deleted in case they 'offend' me. I'd like to read what everyone has to say whether it be radical or not. I thought a forum like this was meant to be for everyone's views whatever they may be? surely it's not up to moderators or whoever to decide what offends and what may not offend people??? It's a little like playing god IMHO. (This is MY view) you don't have to agree. this is the point I'm going with here.

oakdaledave

Thank you for the above replies. Hmmmmm I have to say that I DO think, unless the post is too 'radical', we should be allowed to make up our own minds - were all adults after all. However, as I didn't see the original post that seems to have caused upset I guess I should keep quiet. I just hope the forum settles back into the friendly place it once was.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I've been a member for 3 months and have received excellent information regarding diabetes from various members of this site which has helped me greatly to manage my diabetes type 2. And I'm very thankful for that.

My understanding of the current situation is that there is an issue regarding howinformation regarding complications has been written by certain people, rather than the discussion of complications itself. I understand that there isn't an issue at all about discussing complications, but there is an issue with the terminology used in some posts, which can be quite offensive or scary to some people, especially newcomers to the site who may not be ready to receive such information in such a way.

Just for the record, I'd like to add that although I'm a newcomer, I did not complain about the offensive remarks about complications, I simply ignored them. Nor did I know anything about the bannings until word got round online.

I've watched word go round in various posts implying that admins and mods are basically trying to stop any discussions about complications but that is definitely not how I've perceived the situation. My understanding is that they're not against the discussion of complications, but they are advocating more sensitivity in the terminology used by posters passing on information. And I am in total support of that because I think it's important for more longer established diabetics to remember that newcomers to the site may be in the very first stages of shock and disbelief and not quite ready to read some of the quips written about complications.

If I've got that right, perhaps one of the admins could let me know that I've read the situation correctly or not - if not I'm sure someone will come along to set the record straight as there seem to be so many different interpretations of the situation going round this forum.

test_positive

oakdaledave said:
Thank you for the above replies. Hmmmmm I have to say that I DO think, unless the post is too 'radical', we should be allowed to make up our own minds - were all adults after all. However, as I didn't see the original post that seems to have caused upset I guess I should keep quiet. I just hope the forum settles back into the friendly place it once was.

Completely agree. I have found it a very valuable source of information over the last few months since diagnosis. And I have only ever had helpful, informative replies.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
susieg said:
I have been a member for 2yrs now, and have, like the above members, had only sound and informative advice. I think though, I would like to read all posts and not be mollycoddled and have posts deleted in case they 'offend' me. I'd like to read what everyone has to say whether it be radical or not. I thought a forum like this was meant to be for everyone's views whatever they may be? surely it's not up to moderators or whoever to decide what offends and what may not offend people??? It's a little like playing god IMHO. (This is MY view) you don't have to agree. this is the point I'm going with here.

It is up to Moderators to moderate - that includes inappropriate use of language, terminology and tone in postings I would think.

Would we really want an 'anything goes' forum? I know I wouldn't.

desidiabulum

phoenix said:
To quote Ben Goldacre
'I think you'll find it a bit more complicated than that.
and it would take all day, and whoever tried to explain there would be some bias.
quote]

Phoenix is clearly right in saying that there was more going on -- reading the threads will not reveal all, and there is lots of earlier history and events outside the forum involved. But that is why I think we should focus, not on disentangling an unedifying series of posts, but more on the result, which is surely in nobody's interests (and least of all those of our newly-diagnosed fellow-diabetics), and try to find a solution to it before it is too late.

Fraddycat

AMBrennan said:
This may shed some light on what's going on. The original thread appears to have been deposited into the memory hole (and Google has no cached copy either).

Can I just say, there is completely no point in posting that thread, it just keeps the unrest alive. Why don't we just move on, and get back to what we do best, supporting the newbies, sharing advice, caring about each other.

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
Fraddycat said:
AMBrennan said:
This may shed some light on what's going on. The original thread appears to have been deposited into the memory hole (and Google has no cached copy either).

Can I just say, there is completely no point in posting that thread, it just keeps the unrest alive. Why don't we just move on, and get back to what we do best, supporting the newbies, sharing advice, caring about each other.

Agreed, thread locked as nothing constructive will arise From its continuation.

Status
Not open for further replies.