What is involved in pump training in Exeter area?

EmmDotJay

I'm super excited that I start the first of four weekly training sessions to start my pump therapy in a couple of weeks at RD&E Exeter. I've chosen the Accu Chek Combo. Does anyone have recent experience of the training to give me a sneaky peak of what's to come?

Reading the forums everyone seems the have a variety of ways their pump journey started so would be good to hear from any locals.

PS If you're also starting the first week of June I may see you there!!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I'm super excited that I start the first of four weekly training sessions to start my pump therapy in a couple of weeks at RD&E Exeter. I've chosen the Accu Chek Combo. Does anyone have recent experience of the training to give me a sneaky peak of what's to come?

Reading the forums everyone seems the have a variety of ways their pump journey started so would be good to hear from any locals.

PS If you're also starting the first week of June I may see you there!!!

If they didn't tell you then ring up and ask :)

Cupcaake32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dubstep made in chelsea
I had a solo start at the rd and e and i had the medtronic they are really thorough well the medtronic rep was are u in a group

sent from planet look at me look at meee!!!

EmmDotJay

Sooo, I'm in a group, all starting on the Combo. Now had the letter through which gives a lot more info.

Week 1: How pumps work, Setting up your pump, Blood sugar testing & Review of carb counting
Week 2: Commence pump therapy!!, Correction doses, Management of high and low sugars
Week 3: Refine basal rates, Other pump functions, Special circumstances
Week 4: Ensure competence, Review progress, Support network

The letter included a little prep form to list 3 Expectations, 3 Hopes and 3 Fears.

Week 2 for me is 17th June so I could be pumping in just over 4 weeks!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
There you go the mystery solved :)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh ****, now [he's] told us, [he'll] have to kill us!

Last edited by a moderator:

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good grief , things have changed in 12 years since I started on my pump. I had about 1 hour with the rep being shown how to set it up then we ate digestive biscuits to test it out! I was the first one to use a pump at my then hospital so no one to compare notes with and pre -internet at home so no where much to find information.

That sounds a great structured course to start using a pump, I sort of blundered along for a few years until moving to a new area with a big pump clinic where a few of my self taught bad ways came to light.

I wish you all the best with starting to use your pump. It's the best thing that has happened to me diabetes wise. Good luck.