What is the best fast food to eat?

SouthernGeneral6512

Ok it's probably best not eating any of them but if you had to eat one for health which would you choose?

I think a shish kebab because it would seem to be pretty wholesome meat and a lot of non sugary salad. The only problem may be the pita bread but that's a pretty small fraction of the whole

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi, :crazy:
Depends on where and what time of the day.
Oddly enough stores like M and S are now testing to increase there range of fresh prepared food for people on the move.
Best go for meat free, as I am sure there is a lot of unhealthy fat in Kebab,s etc;

Roy. :thumbup:

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi, :crazy:
Depends on where and what time of the day.
Oddly enough stores like M and S are now testing to increase there range of fresh prepared food for people on the move.
Best go for meat free, as I am sure there is a lot of unhealthy fat in Kebab,s etc;

Roy. :thumbup:

WhitbyJet

Go for a large kebab without the pitta ask for extra salad instead.
Or supermarket sandwich fillers but read the labels for carb content. You can buy salmon pinwheels and parcels with cream cheese or sliced meat and cheese - all are good low carb fast foods.
I don't have fast food very often but I have asked for burger without the bun.
Chinese take away was meat with mushrooms or aubergine or with ginger and spring onions. I asked to please not to add sugar or sauce thickener and no rice or chips.
Or foo young which is basically an omelette with meat chicken or prawns.
I recently was forced to go and dine in Pizza hut, OMG wall to wall carbs in there but I had garlic chilli prawns only fished out the prawns leaving the butter/sauce behind I was certain there was sugar and breadcrumbs in there??and lots of salad.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It depends what type of takeaway you're looking for. When we do takeaways it's to bring home and eat at home, not on the go as such. I'd recommend Nando's if you have one near you. Go for chicken and a salad (coleslaw and/or green salad) as that would be a low carb meal. The chicken is british and flame grilled and you can choose from very mild to hot depending on what you prefer. The menu is available online and all the nutritional info is there so easy to calculate how many carbs you'd be eating. They are mainly a sit down restaurant but also do takeaways.

Terminator 2

I tested a few fast foods with the meter and much to my surprise the 2hr results on a Tandoori Chicken Kebab & Vegetable Pakora were excellent (for me anyway), that was inclusive of the sauces that accompanied them.

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
McDonalds do a very good Grilled Chicken & Bacon Salad... and there's a decent low carb vinaigrette dressing for it as well...

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I used totake a grandcchild to MacDonald's occasionally. I would have a chicken salad. Delicious! and you can choose dressing. A Whopper is good if you leave the bun
A luxury fast food is Pret-a-manger's Chef's Italian Salad. this dish is wonderful, contains chicken, roast peppers, parmesan cheese , olives and green stuff. comes with an oil based dressing.
there are ways round most things

Terminator 2 said:
I tested a few fast foods with the meter and much to my surprise the 2hr results on a Tandoori Chicken Kebab & Vegetable Pakora were excellent (for me anyway), that was inclusive of the sauces that accompanied them.

yeah he is right !

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I'd never eaten a Kebab in my life before catching the T2 diabetes.

Now I try to have a Shish Kebab at least once a week (and I usually buy a spare one for lunch the day after). If you don't eat the pitta, I can't think of a healthier meal.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Borofergie said:
I'd never eaten a Kebab in my life before catching the T2 diabetes.

Every dark cloud has a silver lining, mate! :wink:

+1 on the Shish's. Bloody lovely.

I also go for a Lamb Saag at the Indian. There's a lot you can go for at an Indian - just avoid the bread, rice and poppadums, and anything obviously sugary (mango chutney, dishes with honey, etc...)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Patch said:
I also go for a Lamb Saag at the Indian.

Good choice Pat, I love the Chicken Tikka Saag.

I use this recipe as an emergency snack.

3oz butter
2 1/2 oz demerara sugar
1 x tablespoon black treacle.....

melt the above then add below ingredients

1 oz pumpkin seeds
1 oz sunflower seeds
3 oz brown plain flour
chop 3 dried apricots some nuts just a few
shreaded coconut
and a hand full of all bran
3 oz good oats

Place in cooking tray 160 deg for 20 mins it comes out different each time sometimes its really crunchy.
I am type 2 and it doesn't affect my sugar because most of the above are low glycemic and high fibre I hope this is good substitute for treats.
Any comments would be good, as I am no expert

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nandos is good, no impact on me, also KFC Zinger salad and a piece of chicken has not impact on me either and the salad is rather good.

Neicy0412

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I find McDonalds chicken salad wrap is ok, as hubby loves to tuck into a big mac on occasion, it means we can enjoy together :) love their coffee too, strong and black, but not bitter...lovely

ReginaldD

As a 'treat' I don't think a McDonald's breakfast is awful. I go for a sausage and egg McMuffin, the egg is just a normal egg, granted the sausage won't be anything like you get from the butcher, instead of a hash brown I go for the fruit bag then I have a black coffe as my drink.

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Streaky bacon deep fried in beef dripping, lots of sat fat.
With a steaming hot mug of tea or a glass or two of a decent red.

Heaven !

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Superchip said:
Streaky bacon deep fried in beef dripping

Now - I like my sat. fat as much as the next man, but... :shock: :***: :clap: