What is the best insulin pump? Opinions?

NiallMorrison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm looking for many opinions on what people believe is the best pump in the UK. I have been looking about and thinking which one seems the best, but now I was hoping that people could tell me their favourite insulin pump and why? Any replies would help me out, Thanks.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Depends what your looking, a tubed/tubeless pump or one that is CGM compatible. I've been using the Omnipod Pump for nearly a year now and can't really fault it, it's a tubeless pump and suits my lifestyle (first pump so can't compare it to others).

Reactions: 5 people

NiallMorrison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Depends what your looking, a tubed/tubeless pump or one that is CGM compatible. I've been using the Omnipod Pump for nearly a year now and can't really fault it, it's a tubeless pump and suits my lifestyle (first pump so can't compare it to others).
Thanks for the reply, the omnipod is one of my options but I'm not too picky on whether or not it is tubeless.

Reactions: 2 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
if you look on all the web sites for the pumps available to you and what you are wanting from a pump will help, i knew which I wanted and learned about it as much as I could before I started on it, only been on the pump 7 weeks but it has changed my outlook on life already

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on the Animas Vibe and like it a lot. It's easy to use, robust and looks good.

As well as looking at different pumps, you might want to have a look at the sets and cannula options for each one. That was important to me as I found the 'wrong' set can cause issues. I wanted a good choice of sets so I could find exactly what suits me.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I chose the Combo and then followed with the Insight, although I trialled and Omnipod for a month or two. My choice was made based upon capability to remote control and manually control the pump. So my choice was Roche or Meditronic, the Roche was the smaller of the two hence my decision.

Asking which pump is the best will mostly get you the answer - mine is. What you need to think about is how you might use it, not easy if you have no experience.

If I didn't need the remote control and because I use the Dexcom CGM I would have probably gone for the Animas Vibe.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think at the core, in basic functionality, all pumps are essentially equal, in that they all provide basal and a variety of bolus capabilities.

Where these vary is in the increments in which they can deliver insulin and the number of time slots that can be used for basal rates. If you are extremely insulin sensitive, you might, for example, require a pump that can deliver insulin in 0.025u increments, and if your basal requirement is very up and down you may need 48 slots in 24 hours.

In order to work this out though, you need to look at what you do now and do some observation. It's worth doing a basal test to see how up and down you are on long acting insulin, which should give you an indication of how you will need to break down your basal rate on the pump. Most people are fine with 24.

You'd also need to review how you bolus. Do you only ever need one or two units for a meal? Then you might need to have more flexibility in the size of the increments that the pump delivers, for example, the Omnipod goes down to 0.05u while the 640G goes down to 0.025u I believe (someone can correct me on this).

Then you need to consider how important tubeless is. You've already said that it's not so that gives you more options.

Following that, you're really into what I like to call "add ons". The things that make each pump stand out, and really, only you can choose between these as to what you prefer.

Do you want CGM as part of the pump? If so then you are narrowed down to the Medtronic and Animas Vibe.
Do you want to be able to remote control the pump? Then you are looking at Insight or Omnipod, with some limited remote bolus capabilities from the Medtronic.
Do you want both of the above? Then you will have to select the Medtronic.
Does it need to be waterproof?
Etc.

We had a topic recently where we discussed what we thought an ideal pump might look like and I summed it up here. What you could do is go through the list, highlight the things you think are best and then look at which pumps offer what you've ticked off.

The other thing to be aware of is the user interface. Getting your hands on each of the pumps you are interested in and using them for 15 mins will tell you which of these you like and which you dislike.

Ultimately, the answer will be partly emotional and partly based on features, and you'll have to decide what you'll compromise in order to get what you need. I'm using a Spirit Combo, as it was what I could get and it does a great job. It doesn't have CGM, But it is a pump. And it gives the basal and bolus flexibility that only a pump can. It is the fact that it is a pump that is important, and not the bells and whistles.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I'm looking for many opinions on what people believe is the best pump in the UK. I have been looking about and thinking which one seems the best, but now I was hoping that people could tell me their favourite insulin pump and why? Any replies would help me out, Thanks.
You will be fine with what ever pump you have as you have no comparison to make being your first pump.

Reactions: 4 people

ausasha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, after looking at all the pumps, I decided I wanted a waterproof pump so I went for the Animas Vibe. The Input website that has been suggested helped me. I'm happy with my choice so far. Good luck finding the right one!

Reactions: 4 people