What is the correction factor????

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I'm getting a pump on Monday and I've been told to bring with a vial, my bg targets and a correction factor. Can anyone explain? Also by bg targets do they mean hba1c or where I'd ideally like them to be?

Is there anything else anyone would recommend I take with?

Feeling rather nervous about this o_O

TIA

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
and also what type of strips do you get to test ketones? All I've ever used in the past is an occasional box of old urine ketodiastix. Do aviva make any that test blood ketones as all my meters are accucheck?

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm getting a pump on Monday and I've been told to bring with a vial, my bg targets and a correction factor.

Is there anything else anyone would recommend I take

TIA

.... My hospital said to bring a significant other / supportive person to help you remember everything, if you have one... I don't think that extended to my cats though so I'll just go by myself... ;-)

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi Artemis, did you use neutral on the pump? I'm planning on continuing to use it with the pump.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Correction factor is how many points 1 unit of insulin drops you by.
Target BG is what level you aim for ie correct to 5.5.
Take a pen and paper as well so you can write things down.
If you are using neutral make sure you set your duration of insulin to the correct level as well. IE how long your neutral lasts for once injected.

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
and also what type of strips do you get to test ketones? All I've ever used in the past is an occasional box of old urine ketodiastix. Do aviva make any that test blood ketones as all my meters are accucheck?

The Glucomen LX Plus is a bg and ketone testing meter, also the Freestyle Optium Neo meter tests for ketones and both can be purchased free by calling the manufacturers customer service line.

If you've not read the book Pumping Insulin by John Walsh & Ruth Roberts then I highly recommend you do, it discusses things Correction Factors and teaches you how to get the most from your insulin pump, good luck for Monday.

Reactions: 2 people