1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What is the honeymoon period?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by TakeItAway88, Sep 12, 2015.

1. TakeItAway88

TakeItAway88 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Apparently you get it since diagnosed. I was told about it but didn't understand why your pancreas would magically start Producing insulin even though apparently it's not producing any?! Could this be to do with my amazing levels lately and good control

2. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi, the theory is that by taking meds you releive the stress on your pancreas and it partially recovers to the point where it can start producing insulin again. This can last weeks, months or even years, there are no golden rules, but eventually your pancreas will 'probably' pack in completely.

#2 urbanracer, Sep 12, 2015 at 7:03 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2015
  3. TakeItAway88

So pancreas could stay in the honeymoon period forever?

4. urbanracer

Staff Member

By definition, I don't think 'forever' would be a honeymoon period?

It will probably end at some point, but nobody can tell you when.

• Like Like x 2
  5. TakeItAway88

Is this probably why my levels are so good at the moment maybe?

6. urbanracer

Staff Member

Maybe, but some people report that during the honeymoon period the pancreas can chuck out insulin for a while, stop, restart etc. There could be other reasons why your levels are good, - diet, exercise, etc.

7. teacher123

teacher123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I only need 6 units of lantus when following LCHF at the minute. Of course that can change pretty quickly!

Still feel at times maybe I should be bolusing but then I would hypo with what I eat... lol

8. June_C

June_C Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

I started out 10 months ago with a diagnosis of T1 and was put on mixed insulin. Because of recurring hypos, I wondered if I was now producing my own insulin, so embarked on an experiment. No injected insulin and close monitoring.

I changed to a low carb diet in order to give my pancreas a fighting chance and I have now been without insulin injections for 5 weeks and managing to maintain a bg level between 5 - 9.0. I don't know how long this will last, but I'm enjoying the moment.

• Like Like x 4
  9. 52O342UOIF

52O342UOIF Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Even in those who have had type 1 diabetes for >40 years there's often some (very small) insulin production left. If you want to keep the beta cells you have keep your blood sugar in a tight range, <7,8 mmol/L is optimal. Readings above that have been associated with beta cell death.

10. NowClosed11

NowClosed11 Type 1 · Guest

Mine lasted 4 days in total

11. wiserkurtious

wiserkurtious Type 1 · Well-Known Member

:) i've been off insulin for 3 weeks now and atm seem to be running along quite smoothly,exercise an diet is probably helping also but don t want to put a jinx on things ;)(probably already have :p) haven t a clue what diabetes I have,they said I had type 1 on diagnosis then had GAD test done and all come back negative so I'm in limbo atm :) off to do my run have a great day guys

12. pinewood

pinewood Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think I'm still experiencing the honeymoon period - have been diagnosed about 10 months now and my Lantus dose is still only 9-10 units with total daily units of NovoRapid about 8-10 despite eating a regular diet. For my height and weight I think my Lantus dose would be higher if my pancreas was completely shot.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook