What is the perfect snack?

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am about to start university and whilst in lessons I need to maintain my concentration levels, and wondered if anyone had a good tip of something I can eat that will give me a little boost if I feel my levels are getting a little low.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
The best and safest correction for low blood sugar is glucose tablets. The amount is calibrated and your friends recognise that you are not eating sweeties which you aren't sharing.
Are you used to snacking?
If so, continue with what you are used to and then perhaps try things out. A handful of nuts perhaps or a slice of crispbread with something nice on it. Or a slice of cake, or even a couple of biscuits. Essentially something you can keep safely in a "Fridge" box

eken95

Type of diabetes
Type 2
kay957 said:
I am about to start university and whilst in lessons I need to maintain my concentration levels, and wondered if anyone had a good tip of something I can eat that will give me a little boost if I feel my levels are getting a little low.

A piece of fruit would work too, or my burse says a couple of digestive biscuits. It's a good idea to make sure everyone, students and tutors recognise hypo symptoms I'd imagine. Good luck with uni

Fujifilm

As Eken says make sure people know you are diabetic and to know what symptoms of hypo are, I know its probably something you want to keep to yourself (I always did) but just one person knowing you are going hypo rather than drunk! may get you out of trouble.

As others have suggested the old glucose tablets and digestive biscuits are good, but my suggestion and I know this will sound daft :) but have something you don't like, say you hate the taste of blackcurrent glucose tablets, well have them with you. That way you will only eat them when you need them. If you are anything like me and you have somthing nice with you and you get a bit bored you will start to nibble. :D

Also I always carry a glucogel (hypostop) just in case. Plus anyone I am with I tell them how to use it. If you are in a lecture with a bunch of peeps you don't know and you don't feel well just tell the person next to you. I know its not the easiest thing to do, but I am old enough and daft enough now that I will tell anyone, most people will make sure you are OK or keep an eye on you until you get yourself sorted.

What I find is, if I am carrying glucogel or glucose tablets I never have a problem, but if I know I don't have them I start to panic and start imagining I am going low.

Sorry for the rambling on, good luck at Uni and have fun :D

ATSBod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can we clear up one small point here?

Kay957's signature states:

"Type 2. diagnosed 09/01/09
Metformin
Januvia
Last HbA1c 7.3 New HbA1c test August 2009 7.1"

Is a hypo actually likely to occur in this case?

... Jim

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
So we shouldn't give them advice because it may not happen??

Hypo's are unlikely, but not impossible. So Kay needs to feel comfortable and know what snacks are good.
It MAY not is a far cry from WILL not.

Fujifilm

Must admit I had not noticed type 2 but as Celtic points out may not is not will not. Plus Kay did ask the question
anyone had a good tip of something I can eat that will give me a little boost if I feel my levels are getting a little low

Of all the posts on the forum, not all the answers can be or will be 100% relavant to the question asked. Surley you take the bits of information that are, and who knows someone else may read the thread and find the informattion useful to them.

I am type 1 so does that mean I should not read questions or answers by or on type 2 :?

It just might happen that a type 1 is off to Uni but did not like to ask the question. Now both types can take or leave what information they want. :mrgreen:

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Are you able to do simple cooking? In your student situation, "grab & go" snacks are what you want, & are preferably quiet & unobtrusive to eat! I suspect as a type 2, comfort eating is a significant factor when others have their cereal bars & chocolate.

I suggest the ground almond "bread" as it is quiet to eat, capable of variation & very nutritious. It is my staple bread & is suitable as a bread substitute, with very low carb.

110 g ground almonds
20 g wheat bran (optional - and/or oat bran, soya flour ...)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp xanthan gum (optional)
sifted together

1 large carrot, finely chopped (optional - and/or table spoon of sultanas, sunflower seeds ...)
50-80 g butter or marg (can use soft cheese)
microwave for 1 min to soften butter
beat
4-5 eggs beaten with a fork
add eggs to carrot/sultana & butter mix & beat
add dry ingredients & beat well
adjust to dropping consistency with water or passata

put into buttered (silicone) loaf vessel & bake at 175°C for 50 minutes.

It keeps in the fridge for a few days, & toasts nicely.

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Ohhh, i may have to try that. Sounds good with raisins, apricots too.

ATSBod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Celtic.Piskie said:
So we shouldn't give them advice because it may not happen??

Hypo's are unlikely, but not impossible. So Kay needs to feel comfortable and know what snacks are good.
It MAY not is a far cry from WILL not.

Not trying to cause dissention - just curious, that's all. :)

... Jim

ATSBod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Fujifilm said:
Not trying to cause dissension - just curious, that's all.

Is that not a line from a song?, I read it earlier and can't get it out of my head :D :lol:

Dunno about that but "Can't Get It Out Of My Head" was definitely a song - by ELO! 8)

... Jim

saz1

Carry some nuts and few small bits of 70% or above chocolate with you, that works for me. The question of hypos is quite interesting since I was told hypos will not happen with metformin. My initial hba1c was over 11 so I was quite relaxed about the situation and about 4 1/2 months after dx and after adopting a restricted carb diet, started to have hypos/ :evil:

it was quite disconcerting and after some discussion with the gp, the conclusion was that my insulin resistance must be reducing quite fast and even though he thought it wouldn't be really possible, I would have to be careful and carry stuff with me because my sugar balance was improving fast. I have also started exercising now and it may even look like I will have to reduce my metformin in the near future.

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
ATSBod said:
Can we clear up one small point here?

Kay957's signature states:

"Type 2. diagnosed 09/01/09
Metformin
Januvia
Last HbA1c 7.3 New HbA1c test August 2009 7.1"

Is a hypo actually likely to occur in this case?

... Jim

Although I am a type 2, I have and still do (On occasion) have hypo's, it can be many factors like having an infection etc effects my BG levels at times. I am also on a Chemotherapy drug too and with running about Uni etc I can use more energy thus needing an extra boost. All I have asked is advice if anyone could suggest a good source of snacks I could eat that would keep my concentration going.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Hi,

Just buy Dextro glucose tablets from any chemist; then you can carry a pack around with you and surreptitiously eat a couple if you are feeling hypo. Easy.

Dillinger

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
I went to university in my 40s and really didn't think about the physical challenge it would be as I thought I was quite fit. I did not have diabetes 2 then and think that you may find the amount of stairs to be ascend will help lower your blood glucose and if you do go get hypos now always carry glucose tablets with you as you are very likely to. Also I used to get carried away with reading/writing so would miss meals so try to make sure you don't miss your meals as you are taking Metformin and this will cause you go too low too. Perhaps eating some nuts and cheese with the fruit, wholemeal crispbread, low sugar biscuit and bits of dark chocolate will help even ups and downs in blood sugar and help keep the munchies at bay. I find what time in the mornings I have breakfast makes a difference too. If I have breakfast early then do exercise I will need a snack before lunch or have lunch earlier. Hope you enjoy your time at university and I wish you success in managing your diabetes and in your studies.

lilibet

Mini chocolate hobnobs - small packets, easy to carry and you can scoff what you need depending on how low you feel ie one, or them all(if you are not hypo levels low but say are getting there). 16g carbs per packet and choc and oats are slow enough not to hit your bg fast but sweet enough to help you out. I swear by em and when on hols would pop one in every so often just to keep myself ok

Fast sugar is best for true hypos (4 is the floor, most can cope 3.5 and above) but tis a shame to waste lowish bg opportunities for treats, rather than glucose, Also v easy to overtreat with glucose tabs methinks

Otherwise, oatcakes and peanut butter of Philadelphia cheese (though your neighbour might not thank you.....)