What is the relation between bs and hunger please?

ChrisMaleType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone. This may be a bit of a silly question but I'm not very clear about it. Is a diabetic's (mainly type 1s) feeling of hunger often a sign of low blood sugar and vice versa, if a diabetic's bbs is too high, do they normally feel full? I'm inclined to say they do but it may just be a coincidence in the occasions when it does for me. What do other people think? Has anyone felt hungry with high blood sugar?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
chrisopher said:
Hi everyone. This may be a bit of a silly question but I'm not very clear about it. Is a diabetic's (mainly type 1s) feeling of hunger often a sign of low blood sugar and vice versa, if a diabetic's bbs is too high, do they normally feel full? I'm inclined to say they do but it may just be a coincidence in the occasions when it does for me. What do other people think? Has anyone felt hungry with high blood sugar?

Hi Christopher

When I am having a low BS, hypo, I do very very, very hungry. With a high BS, hyper, I feel sick, the nausea feeling can be horrible. I do still feel hungry, I could not eat anything,but I feel like that all the time, I have done all my adult life, not all diabetic and I never feel full :(

Best wishes RRB

B

badcat

My consultant explained it as a roller coaster foods put the BS up,insulin brings it down which,particularly if there's a big diff between the up and down level,tells the body it needs more fuel so we feel hungry and eat so the whole roller caster ride starts again

Marfmama

Not a silly question - I think about this all the time! Sometimes when I'm starving but don't feel the other symptoms of hypo I think well do I need to inject or are my sugars low or what?! Ha! I guess we just have to be good and keep testing regularly!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
If your BG drops, your body tells you to top it up. that's whyyou feel hungry. Non-diabetics don't know what their BG is, but a doctor once told me they usually feel a bit hungry below 4.
Hana

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I usually feel very hungry for various reasons
1. Quick drop in bs but still in normal range.
2. Hypo
3. been more active needing to re fuel to replace energy
4 higher than normal bs but below 14. As theres not enough insulin in me my body is telling me its hungry, not through lack of food but lack of insulin. Not very helpful as can be confused with a hypo so I always test.
If above 14 the usual feelings of sickness, nausea.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
chrisopher said:

Hi Christopher .

Not a silly question at all :)
As you can see it can be relevant to all types of persons .
Diabetic or not ...

When a persons blood sugars go too low it is the bodies way of alerting us to eat
to raise this back up .
Sometimes a huge sugar surge and rush in the blood stream can make a person
crave 'more sugary things' with some persons .

Hope this can help .

Anna .