What is the strangest question you have been asked as a diabetic?

leahkian

Over the many years of being a diabetic i have had a few strange questions about my diabetes such as can i catch diabetes if i kiss you, on having bloods taken are you scared of needles or one of my favorite is when my father comes with me as he is in a wheelchair, come in Mr Wilson your son can sit there( there is a 32 year age gap between us). We are calling the police as we have a zero drug poilicy on drug dealer, they were as red as a beetroot after the police had been. Or what are you doing eating that kitkat you will be bad an ex girlfriend told me. I also had a strange arguement with my cosultant many years ago when he was wagging his finger in my face and after the 3 time of asking him to stop he said he was not going to stop. So i got up off my chair and the consultant asked what was i doing and i told him i was about to put him through the window.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I see.

To answer your post.
I was once asked if I have to have my blood drained out to help reduce my sugar levels in my blood.

It reminded me of old fashioned medicine.
Thank god I wasn't born then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freema

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I see.

To answer your post.
I was once asked if I have to have my blood drained out to help reduce my sugar levels in my blood.

It reminded me of old fashioned medicine.
Thank god I was born then.

Sounds like dialysis to me...I wish there was newer medicine for renal patients.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freema

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Only last Friday a woman in the chiropractor/dentist waiting room (they share one floor of a big old house) asked me if I liked the look of the chocolate cake on the magazine she was reading. I have no idea why she asked, do fat people eat chocolate cake? I said that I didn't and haven't ever been interested in any cake and especially not chocolate cake. Then I stupidly mentioned that I was type 2 diabetic anyway so avoided carbs. Without blinking she said "oh, that's the type that overweight people get, isn't it?" I just managed to say "not exactly, there's more to it than that" when I went into my appointment with the chiropractor. It showed me that people who don't have diabetes don't have a clue, sadly some with diabetes don't have a clue either.

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
Mmm which one do I pick? ‘God, what do you eat?’ ‘Life must be so awkward’ I always reply ‘lettuce’ just to see their face.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
'Do you ever stare at people while you're injecting in order to intimidate them?' No, I stare at my stomach to make sure I do the injection correctly.

'Diabetics need to drink carbonated water, don't they?' (as I was opening a bottle of mineral water)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Pre-diabetes diagnosis.

Girl in nightclub said "are you pregnant? "
My reply "No. Just fat".

I wish I could have videoed her face on my blatant reply!

Reactions: miszu

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, are you a proper diabetic yet? Asked by another Midwife to me.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So far, no stupid questions, but only a few people close to me know that I have diabetes.

The closest thing was last week at the GP's surgery here in America.

I am 60 years old. I was handed a clipboard by the receptionist, with probably six sheets of paper, requiring that I list all of the drugs I am taking.

I handed it straight back and said, "no drugs."

"Oh, isn't it great that you don't have any illness! Congratulations!"

"Well, actually, I have a serious chronic disease. It's just that I am managing it entirely with lifestyle changes."

Totally blank ("it does not compute") look from receptionist.

Last edited:

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
2 rather strange questions, both from medics
1) several years (10 or so) after diagnosis a question from a registrar at the diabetes clinic “ diabetes always get worse, but yours has got better, are you sure youre diabetic?” My answer was “ well you're the doctor......”
2) a year or two after diagnosis a question from the consultant in the eye clinic (I had been referred there on diagnosis due to signs of retinopathy) “ well theres no sign of any retinopathy, why are you still coming to the clinic?” My answer was “ uhm because you keep telling me to come back for 3 monthly reviews” - I was then discharged and have had either “clear “or “signs of mild early changes” as the result from the last 18 scans

Reactions: Grannypat

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
When I was at work I was regularly shifted on with another woman who had been recently diagnosed with T2. She watched me over the days and weeks as I reduced my carbs, reduced my insulin and finally stopped needing it. She ate every meal with me at work - I sat opposite her and ate my home prepared low carb meals and she'd get stuck in to the carb- rich freebie meals supplied by our employer. She asked me loads of questions about what I ate and was interested that I could stop the injections as she'd just started on insulin herself.

Then one day, several months later, she took me to one side as she said she had something personal she needed to ask me, which was: 'I'm going to do what you did - with the salads and that - but can you explain what a carb is?'

:banghead:

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Then one day, several months later, she took me to one side as she said she had something personal she needed to ask me, which was: 'I'm going to do what you did - with the salads and that - but can you explain what a carb is?':banghead:

I clicked "Funny" but that's only because there no icon for "Sad"!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Then one day, several months later, she took me to one side as she said she had something personal she needed to ask me, which was: 'I'm going to do what you did - with the salads and that - but can you explain what a carb is?'

There are many people who might ask that question, and just as many that can't answer it. Sad, but true. In your colleague's case, very sad.

Reactions: Dodo and miszu

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are many people who might ask that question, and just as many that can't answer it.

To be fair to the lady in question, I had no idea what "carbs" are, at diagnosis. But she had already had a certain amount of time to let natural human curiosity (and concern for one's health) run its course, not to mention sharing the condition with colleague @Chook :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

Crystalwand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes just a few weeks ago, I am now on an omnipod, most people in the hog chapter know that I am diabetic, when this lady said so you on a pump now yes was my reply then she said so you are all ok now, my reply was well sort off, some people just don't understand, doesn't matter how you explain, they will never understand, just one of the pit falls

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Yes, I would have thought that after six months of ooohing and aaahing over my meals she would have realised what was missing from them and the other problem I had which was there was so much stuff I couldn't eat when we (the staff) and our service users went out for a meal (which was at least once a week).

She knows what carbs are now but has decided that low carb is not for her.

Reactions: phdiabetic

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The first case that dropped in to my mind while reading the title. Someone familiar with diabetes (she works with people with this condition and many other). She told me 'Oh hon yea type 1 diabetes but its okay. Like imagine Ive got an allergy for certain types of metals and can only wear gold earings. Also I need to grab a tissue everytime reaching for the doorhandle. There r bigger problems in life for some people, hon.'

I was so frustrated when hearing that from someone who was supposed to help me, but today when I think back I just have a great laugh at her. How silly that was.

Hotpepper20000

Friend of mine was telling me she was inspired by my weight loss and BG control.
She mentioned that she was cutting out all carbs and now was having a banana and or apple and peanutbutter for breakfast every morning.
I think there is a misconception that carbs are only bread, pasta and potatoes.

Reactions: Diakat