What is the time duration of Honeymoon period ?

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone,

When i was diagnosed, i was taking 70 unit insulin in 3 times. At that time, i was so much frustrated from taking 3 times injections. But i was not having other options. Luckily i found this forum, where i got huge good information "How to control the diabetic". I also get chance to contact with many experienced and expert people and learn from them. I started to implement all the information in my daily life.

Now my dose has come to 2 unit(Lantus) and only taking one time.

I know it might be honeymoon phase. But nowadays i have stick to Low carb diet plan and regular exercise . I m leading my life as normal. I want to give thanks to all the forum senior people, who always feel happy to help member like me.

is it possible to continue my life like this for long time ?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The honeymoon period can vary from a few weeks to a number of months, even a year or more. But eventually it will end for all Type 1s.

Even if your blood sugar is ok now, do keep testing as it can creep higher gradually. Test especially after meals as that's often where you'll first see the signs of higher sugars.

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The honeymoon period can vary from a few weeks to a number of months, even a year or more. But eventually it will end for all Type 1s.

Even if your blood sugar is ok now, do keep testing as it can creep higher gradually. Test especially after meals as that's often where you'll first see the signs of higher sugars.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will always do like this. I always break my meals into small small part. I try to avoid complete meals at one time.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your suggestion. I will always do like this. I always break my meals into small small part. I try to avoid complete meals at one time.

Can I ask if you are normal weight or underweight or overweight?

You shouldn't have to split meals and deprive yourself of food in order to control your blood sugar : /

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Before diagnosed i was 66 kg. After getting getting diabetic, i became 53 kg, again after taking one month insulin injection i became 60 kg. Now it has been constant. I am trying so much gain my previous weight but not able to do it. I will take enough high protein and enriched fiber food.

Whenever i have to take more meals then i will take some fast acting insulin before my meals.But i will take more green vegetable and Salad.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok :) You'll probably find it easier to put the weight back in if you eat more carbs (and take insulin, of course).

Most Type 1s here eat a moderate amount of carbs and include moderate portions at meals. You should find the right level of carbs for,you. I eat approx 180g carbs per day.

When I was first diagnosed, I ate more carbs. Probably around 220g as I needed to,put weight back on.

Just to give you an idea :)

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok :) You'll probably find it easier to put the weight back in if you eat more carbs (and take insulin, of course).

Most Type 1s here eat a moderate amount of carbs and include moderate portions at meals. You should find the right level of carbs for,you. I eat approx 180g carbs per day.

When I was first diagnosed, I ate more carbs. Probably around 220g as I needed to,put weight back on.

Just to give you an idea :)

Yes, it is good idea.I agree with you. I am slowly increasing carbs in my meals. But i am taking only healthy carbs which will not spike the glucose level quickly.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, it is good idea.I agree with you. I am slowly increasing carbs in my meals. But i am taking only healthy carbs which will not spike the glucose level quickly.

Using the right dose of insulin and timing your mealtime injection should stop spikes. For example, I need to inject my breakfast insulin 30 minutes in advance to give it a chance to work. I then eat a bowl of cereal and I have no spike.

Depending on what fast acting insulin you use, you may need to inject 10 mins in advance, or 20 mins or more. That will work well to stop most spikes :)