What is type 1.5?

KatieStar

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi

I can’t see anything about type 1.5 on the website? Could somebody explain what this is please? Ideally on the website.

Also - is this forum the only way to contact the charity for certified answer?? It seemed to be the only way offered from the website.

Thanks

Katie

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
LADA stands for latent autoimmune diabetes in adults. As with Type 1, it is caused by an autoimmune response The immune system targets the bodies own cells. In this case the attack is against the beta cells in the pancreas which produce insulin. This means that eventually the person will produce insufficient and will need to replace that insulin. (ie by injection) In LADA, this can be relatively slow process taking some years.

1. not needing insulin at diagnosis or for the first 6 months (this one really depends on if someone has ignored/got used to symptoms, there are many people, including myself who get diagnosed at the end of the process and need insulin at diagnosis because of this)
  2. certain antibodies being found in the blood. (most common in LADA are what are called GAD antibodies )
  3. adult onset
There is a useful chart here showing the differences between T1, T2 and LADA
http://www.diabetesforecast.org/2010/may/the-other-diabetes-lada-or-type-1-5.html

At the bottom there is also a link to another type of diabetes (MODY) which is occasionally called 1.5

Here is another slightly more academic description. It includes a set of five characteristics of LADA that have been found in some research in Australia (though hasn't been tested elsewhere)
http://www.diapedia.org/type-1-diabetes-mellitus/lada-latent-autoimmune-diabetes-of-the-adult )

Reactions: 2 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The forum is just individuals with diabetes of various types - 1, 1.5, 2 - who post and share experiences and compare notes. So it's based on individuals' actual experience. There is no official entity or policy line.

You'll find it an incredibly rich source of information.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You may be confusing this site with the one that DUK (Diabetes UK) supports which is www.diabetessupport.co.uk. I use both and this site covers a much wider range of topics and in great detail and isn't quite so politically correct. No site will give you a certified response as we aren't qualified doctors etc but most of us have diabetes with a lot of experience to offer. BTW, DUK tends not to recognise T1.5 but follows a more rigid T1 or T2 classification.