What Is Wrong With My Child ? I Just Feel Like Giving Up

Thewomanintrouble

Hello everyone,

I’m getting really worried. My doctor is ordering more blood tests results after my son had a huge amount of blood taking done already.

My son is currently being investigated for diabetes as his HBac1 first came to 6.3, then down to 6.1. We were ordered to take blood glucose results prior before seeing the endocrinologist, and they were all between 5.1-7.3.

We saw the endocrinologist who assumed that my son’s high level of steroid Intake is causing my son’s sugar levels but ordered a huge range of results, including the c-peptide and some other things. This was three weeks ago.

I got a telephone call this morning saying my doctor wants my son to take another blood test... a reneal blood test and a urina (?) blood test.

Why ?!!! My son has had a huge amount of blood tests done already. Why do they need more ? It’s just so distressing !

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I realise that you are concerned, and are still in limbo without a diagnosis, but consultants don’t request tests for their own entertainment. There will be a sound medically justified reason, either to confirm or eliminate a possible condition.

No medical professional is going to leap in with an unverified diagnosis. That would do more harm than good. They need to make sure they have all the information they need to get the diagnosis right.

Reactions: kitedoc

Thewomanintrouble

I realise that you are concerned, and are still in limbo without a diagnosis, but consultants don’t request tests for their own entertainment. There will be a sound medically justified reason, either to confirm or eliminate a possible condition.

No medical professional is going to leap in with an unverified diagnosis. That would do more harm than good. They need to make sure they have all the information they need to get the diagnosis right.

What’s exactly is the renal... urial blood test ? Have you had that test before?

Reactions: kitedoc

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s just so distressing !
I appreciate you are distressed and concerned for your son. And keen for him to avoid distress too. My son is also autistic and needle phobic. The nurse puts some numbing cream on before taking his blood for blood tests. However, it is only as painful and intrusive as the finger pricker, according to my son, and they do multiple tests with just a few small vials of blood, so they get a lot of tests over and done with using only one needle. The ones for children are extra small, or you can ask for a butterfly needle. The nurse will know what that is.

Reactions: zand

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope your son will be okay, looks like he is checking your son's kidney function.
Take care

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Thewomanintrouble,
It sounds like your child already has some health condition(s), being on steroids.
As others have said, doctors are careful about doing blood tests on children. Perhaps you would feel less concerned if the endocrinologist had informed you, say by phone, why the additional tests were needed. And if there is some reason for the delay of 3 weeks, such as if one or more tests take that long to be done.
That may be something to raise at the next appointment.

Thewomanintrouble

*update*

I’m not sure what blood tests the endocrinologist did (all I know is she took loads) but all his blood tests came back normal, including the c-peptide tests. However, some kidney blood test was raised higher than normal so they want to double check if it’s a fluke. They are still waiting for the Diabetes antibodies test to come back as that could take months ?

What could all this mean ?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
*update*

I’m not sure what blood tests the endocrinologist did (all I know is she took loads) but all his blood tests came back normal, including the c-peptide tests. However, some kidney blood test was raised higher than normal so they want to double check if it’s a fluke. They are still waiting for the Diabetes antibodies test to come back as that could take months ?

I suggest you contact the endocrinologists office and/or your gp and get some clarification of all this. We cannot answer medical questions or give medical advice on here, I'm afraid.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
*update*

Thewomanintrouble - When you arrived here you were concerned for your son and seemed to feel he wasn't receiving the attention he was deserving of, and now they're running loads of tests, you're finding that difficult too.

My suggestion is that you take comfort in all the tests your son is having done. It signifies that the medics are having a really good look, and quite possibly the additional tests recently requested are as a result of the test results you already have. In fact, you suggests one is re-run to see if the test is correct or somehow fluked. That all his tests so far are normal, is fantastic.

The frustrating thing is, all these things take time, but you heightened anxiety is likely to be bringing stress to your son, in addition to any he feels with all the tests going on.

All too often we complain on here that "they didn't test x, y or z", or that they ignored something or the other. DOesn't sound like that's the case for your son.

Right now, patience is key.

Thewomanintrouble

Thewomanintrouble - When you arrived here you were concerned for your son and seemed to feel he wasn't receiving the attention he was deserving of, and now they're running loads of tests, you're finding that difficult too.

My suggestion is that you take comfort in all the tests your son is having done. It signifies that the medics are having a really good look, and quite possibly the additional tests recently requested are as a result of the test results you already have. In fact, you suggests one is re-run to see if the test is correct or somehow fluked. That all his tests so far are normal, is fantastic.

The frustrating thing is, all these things take time, but you heightened anxiety is likely to be bringing stress to your son, in addition to any he feels with all the tests going on.

All too often we complain on here that "they didn't test x, y or z", or that they ignored something or the other. DOesn't sound like that's the case for your son.

Right now, patience is key.

Thank you very much. I feel a bit on edge when there isn’t a conclusive diagnosis and we’ve been ordered to stop taking medication whilst going through all these tests, it’s difficult to wait. Plus, we don’t see our endocrinologist till in 2 months time.

I’m find the re-testing very difficult as my son has a needle phobia and has had blood taken, 5 times, though taking additional blood tubes.

I’m just going to wait and see but thanks for your comment, I will update everyone till we hear of news.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m find the re-testing very difficult as my son has a needle phobia and has had blood taken, 5 times, though taking additional blood tubes.
Having to do the finger pricking as well must have been very difficult for you both, as well as the blood testing for the other tests. I am not sure what you mean by taking additional blood tubes, as the nurse tends to do all the tubes necessary once she has the needle in, not keep re-sticking my son. I do hope you get some answers soon.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
as @DCUKMod has said these test take time. All I can suggest is try and stop worrying so much as that will be passed down to your son. Wait for the test to come back and, fingers crossed, all will be fine.
I am a type 1 diabetic of 46 years and I HATE needles with a passion ;)