what is your carb limit?

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi

I have found that cutting down my carbs has helped me. I wondered roughly what limits people put on their carb intake (if any), especially Type2s.

I know some people have less than 30g a day.

Does your body then cope if you go massively over?

Cara

WhitbyJet

I was very sick when I first started out, a keto diet was prescribed by a doctor for health reasons and not so much for weight loss,, for the first year my carb allowance was set at 0 - 25g per day, this was increased to 30g a day, for the past two years I have been comfortable on 50g a day (60 max), blood glucose has remained stable throughout andI am loving my lchf lifestyle, wouldnt go back to what I did before and I dont feel that I am missing out on anything, could be because I now have a healthy fear of being sick again......

B

badcat

50g - i occasionally go as low as 30g or as high as 70g but its more usually just below or at 50g
I stated on it to regain glycemic control rather than for weight loss.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for the replies. I wonder what the low carb average is for the group as a whole? I'll need more results :D

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat a lot of carbs compared to many on this forum, 150 per day at a guess. But, I always go for wholegrains, oats, wheat, rye, pasta, rice. The carbohydrates usually contain a certain amount of cellulose, which is not digestible and also other more complex carbohydrates which are broken down by bacteria in the intestine and not by the action of digestive enzymes. I avoid all this supercharged rocket fuel called white carbs. They are all highly refined in high speed processes to meet the demands for speed, quicker cooking or baking times for example. The high speed steel rollers also kill off much of the nutritional benefit because they run too hot. People won't pay the price for slowly milled wholegrain flours where slow millstones are used. Most bakers won't use it because it takes too long for the dough to prove and, time is money. The one thing good bread needs is time. It tastes better, it lasts longer and it is superior nutritionally. The only way to be sure that you get it though is to bake it yourself.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm one of those that stay sub 30 a day, sometimes lower. I'm in my 6th year of low-carbing and have got lower and lower as the time goes on. I've been sub 30 for about 4 years.

Just so some will understand, I have no desire to restrict my carb intake other than if I want to die without complications and stay off insulin for as long as possible, I have to, I have no choice. I don't do it because I'm a martyr, I do it because I have no choice.

wiflib

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
On average I eat around 30 grams a day and find that easy now,it keeps my weight and sugar levels stable and my insulin daily dose low.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Somewhere between 100 and 200grams a day here, I cant be specific as I no longer count carbs, I have learnt what I can eat and what I cant but other than rarely eating pasta now and choosing low GI carbs were possible my diet would be considered fairly normal I would guess, by most peoples standards at least.

I certainly never go hungry when I am out or at friends and never have to worry about not finding anything to eat as I can eat most things as long as I watch the amounts that I eat.

I can enjoy a slice of cake occasionally or even a choc bar but these things are occasional treats and not part of my diet, and if my levels go up on occasion so what, it comes down soon enough and the odd treat wont kill me.

My HbA1c and my weight loss and maintenance show that I am well controlled and thats all that matters to me.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't consider myself to low carb, so is say on average 120-150g per day

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Usually I keep to around 20g per day, sometimes less as I am trying to lose some weight. I now know what foods to avoid like the plague and I drink at least 2 litres daily

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I tend to stick to below 120g. About 25 for brekkie, 30-35g lunch and then 55g for supper. Tend never to go over the supper limit. I also allow myself the odd 'treat' now and again. I find breakfast at 25g the hardest - I'm always hungry mid-morning :thumbup:

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on around 30g per day. I dont count how much carbohydrates I eat per day, just practice avoiding bread, rice, pasta, cereal etc.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do not eat potatoes rice cakes or cereals. Also do not eat processed food I try and cook everything fresh. I do have the odd slice of bread but only brown multi grain. Once you get into it its quite easy and I don't miss anything of my old diet .

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
On the carbs front, I try to have small amounts of most things apart from noodles and pasta. So I eat burgen and multigrain bread, all bran and oven chips and new pots in their skins. I seem to be able to tolerate potatoes of all sorts without spiking. I eat small fruits like kiwis and plums and also soft summer fruit berries. I also eat crackers at lunchtime. I'm off dairy at the moment (not because of diabetes) so I eat soya yogurts and have switched to soya and almond milk.

WhitbyJet

sarah1282 said:
Can I ask the people that are on a low carb diet what foods do you it and do you enjoy it or do you find it hard?

Oh yes, I love my lchf lifestyle, dont feel that I am missing out on anything, so, no, its not hard for me to do.

Look through the threads where people say what they have been eating, though not all are low carb viewtopic.php?f=25&t=46653#p420931

For me today;
Breakfast; Greek yogurt, blueberries, raspberries, linwood flaxseeds with gojiberry, toasted coconut
mug of tea with lemon

Lunch: Fritters with chive dip, side salad, 1 pineapple ring

Evening: Stew served with a buttery, creamy cauli/leek/pumpkin mash and kale. Chia seed chocolate pudding (chia seeds soaked in cream, sweetener, cocoapowder and melted cocoa butter added)

2l water, several cups of fruit/herb tea

Attachments

• www.lchf.se.jpg
    www.lchf.se.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,056

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
I have been keeping to 100g per day for nearly six months cutting out cereal other than porridge, pasta, rice, bread and the like - have never felt better or had such good BS control.

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At first it was hard, but you learn what you can eat and I eat far more variety and far more veg than I did before I low carbed. To be honest though, what really keeps me motivated is being persistently (bar the odd reading every week or two) in single figures - something I just didn't experience before low carbing. When you get those numbers, you dont want to give it up.

sarah1282

Thanks guys. Ive wanted to do a low carb diet but ive been scared im going to crave carbs and just start binging on them lol. Im gonna give it a go. I got my Hbac1 result today 6.8 :) but I want to be lower fingers crossed I can do it xx

Bob67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sid Bonkers said:
My HbA1c and my weight loss and maintenance show that I am well controlled and thats all that matters to me.

Are you still only eating 1200 calories a day or have you upped your caloric intake too?