What is your experience with the nutritional supplement Berberine?

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I stumbled onto information on Berberine tonight. Dr. Whitaker states the following on his website...

"A two-part study showed that folks taking 1,500 mg of Berberine daily achieved significant improvement in both fasting and postprandial blood glucose levels, along with hemoglobin 3-month average healthy blood sugar levels.1 A second double-blind, placebo-controlled study not only backed up the results from the previous study, but showed even more benefits with Berberine, including a full 25% decline in both total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol, as well as lower triglyceride levels.2"

1 Yin J, et al. Metabolism 2008;57(5):712–17.
2 Zhao W, et al. Biomed Pharmacother 2008;62(10):730–1.

Does anyone here have experience taking Berberine?

There's a few reviews here...

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-suppl...ine&pageIndex=1&sortby=3&conditionFilter=1145

And Indy51 posted a link to this site a while back - (type "berberine" into the search field)...

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/search/google-cse#gsc.q=berberine

And here's yet more information...

http://examine.com/supplements/Berberine/

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dinet

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found it gave me GI symptoms very similar to the effects of metformin when starting on a 500g dose, but it was the variety that also contained banaba leaf. I then tried one ingredient/reduced dose (Thorne). I gave it a reasonable trial for 30 days and didn't really notice any differences in my BG. Then again, I didn't have much change when I was taking metformin either, though it caused major GI problems for me (bleeding gastritis/ferritin deficiency).

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to know Indy51.

After reading about the adverse effects of Metformin, I don't think I'd be able to tolerate it.

When I first read about Berberine tonight, I thought it might be a possibility. Not sure. I noticed that Thorne Research has two doses available: 500 mg and 200 mg. During your 30 day trial, were you taking the 200 mg three times a day? My blood glucose is running between 105 and 145 mg/dL (5.8 and 8.1 mmol/dL). I'm curious as to how your blood glucose range compares.

I did a search on "adverse effects of berberine". Reviews are mixed. Works really well for some people, but others had difficulties due to the side effects. People either had no side effects, made adjustments in dosage and were able to continue taking it, or gave up.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
More like 200g twice a day. I'm not very good at keeping records, so can't give you my ranges. From memory, I had another issue (hidden infection) that was messing with my fasting BG at that time. The biggest change to my fasting level was being given antibiotics - and now following a 16 hr intermittent fasting regime seems to be keeping it lower.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm trialling it now.

The aim was to work up by 500mg doses a week to reach 1500mg a day, stay on it for 3 months and hope it would have an effect on my dawn phenomenon. Started with one at brekkie, then introed one at lunch, then week 3 added the third to evening meal. In theory.

The reality is that I forget at least 1 dose a day, often 2, so I'm probably averaging 750 mg.

I have had no side effects. Even when I exasperatedly take 1000mg in one dose.
No bowel consequences and no horrible metallic taste - which was what I got on metformin.

So far, I've noticed zilch impact on BG scores. But if I took the bigger dose? Who knows???
Reducing my protein portions seems to make a much bigger impact on overall BG.

I'm keeping going...

Reactions: ketointheuk

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Indy51, thanks for the additional information. I'm still thinking about trying it, but, if I do, I'll probably start with 200 mg per dose and work my way up, because I'm still recovering from my IBS flare.

Brunneria, I read one report that a person was ill for 48 hours after taking 1,000 mg, so it sounds like you're tolerating it well. That's good.

From what I read, if I'm remembering correctly, two-thirds of the people taking berberine tolerated it well. Remembering to take it three times with meals will be a challenge for me too. Please keep us updated. :)