What is your heart age?

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
Have a go at the Flora heart age calculator. I am 71 :shock: and I am only really 54 :twisted:

Okay I am overweight at a BMI of 30, I don't smoke, blood pressure normal and my cholesterol level is 3.9.

Both my parents had angina in later years, aged 75 and 80.

But because I am diabetic I am 17 years older than I actually am :?: No mention on the calculator about exercise, so I am not going to take it seriously. I also think it is irresponsible to have a heart age calculator that does not mention exercise.

Apparently if I am not diabetic, I am a year younger than my actual years :roll:
https://www.heartagecalculator.com/Hear ... lator.aspx

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I am actually 61 yrs, however my heart age is 45 yrs........yippee ! :D

However I had to cheat as I had a Heart Op in 2004 so according to Flora.......I don't count.
So I lied :roll: :twisted:

I found that it assumed that because you have certain conditions you are 'over the hill.' the fact that those conditions are very well controlled doesn't get a mention, so it is not very accurate at all.

I know how I feel and I don't think I need Flora who are just wanting me to buy their products to help lower my supposed heart age, are really the people I need to take much note of. A bit of a joke really, it whiled away a minute or two...... :wink:

Ken

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I seen this discussed on another diabetes forum a few months back, apparently as soon as you enter that you have diabetes the heart age increases. Its only a rough guide anyways, I wouldn't read to much into it!

Nigel

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
noblehead said:
Its only a rough guide anyways, I wouldn't read to much into it!

Nigel
A rough guide? It made me 17 years older than I actually am :shock: I can understand a year or two, but another third on top of my actual age is ridiculous.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did this a few weeks back - decided it was a propaganda tool to sell you their stuff!

Had 2 go's on it - first one with my current stats - gave me a heart 15 yrs older than my age- so thought have another go and put in what I was at diagnosis - see how much better I am doing- 6 st heavier, smoker, all the bad things I used to be/do and put I had diabetes - gave me a heart only 12 years older :shock: - I was better off when I smoked ate ****, no exercise and was soooo much heavier - a good tool - I think not!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
cocacola said:
noblehead said:
Its only a rough guide anyways, I wouldn't read to much into it!

Nigel
A rough guide? It made me 17 years older than I actually am :shock: I can understand a year or two, but another third on top of my actual age is ridiculous.

Lets not forget Chris, this heart age calculator is sponsored by Flora, the makers of cholesterol lowering drinks and spreads! :roll:

Nigel

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
For me it added 20 years on to my age and I was very depressed afterwards. I'm trying not to take this seriously as I know it is just a selling tool. However I do exercise which wasn't counted. One thing's for sure I won't buy Flora!

paulmartin483

cocacola said:
Have a go at the Flora heart age calculator. I am 71 :shock: and I am only really 54 :twisted:

Okay I am overweight at a BMI of 30, I don't smoke, blood pressure normal and my cholesterol level is 3.9.

Both my parents had angina in later years, aged 75 and 80.

But because I am diabetic I am 17 years older than I actually am :?: No mention on the calculator about exercise, so I am not going to take it seriously. I also think it is irresponsible to have a heart age calculator that does not mention exercise.

Apparently if I am not diabetic, I am a year younger than my actual years :roll:
https://www.heartagecalculator.com/HeartHealth/HeartAgeCalculator.aspx

I was exercise daily. I was heard one thing that When I was waked up My heart bit was increasing. It sound was spring checked out. I was also smoked. But Now I was solved this issue.

Dippy3103

Just did mine... again the diabetes added on the years. I came out 20 years older than i am- must be a penalty three for being a bit on the curvy side!

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Waste of time.

At 71 I play tennis at club standard - I had 4 sets last Saturday - & I hold my own in table tennis against the gym instructors. I have no counter-indications, no adverse family heart/stroke history, BP & cholesterol normal, BMI 25.3, I don't smoke nor drink, my waist is slim, yet they tell me my heart age is 80.

banjo brunette

IanD said:
Waste of time.

At 71 I play tennis at club standard - I had 4 sets last Saturday - & I hold my own in table tennis against the gym instructors. I have no counter-indications, no adverse family heart/stroke history, BP & cholesterol normal, BMI 25.3, I don't smoke nor drink, my waist is slim, yet they tell me my heart age is 80.

never mind Ian, you're doing canny well for an 80 year old :lol:
Cheers, BB :D

PS My poor old ticker is seventeen years older than the rest of me too. You can keep the Flora, I'm sticking to butter :D

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Perhaps we should set up an(as old as you feel) thread and forget the flora and be happy :lol:
CAROL

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
carty said:
Perhaps we should set up an(as old as you feel) thread and forget the flora and be happy :lol:
CAROL

Good idea Carol, but the trouble is I feel like I am 20 years older! :(

Nigel :lol:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some ladies knock a few years off their age :!:
Go for 20 :) as you are a man and we know men are prone to exageration :lol:
CAROL

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
carty said:
Some ladies knock a few years off their age :!:
Go for 20 :) as you are a man and we know men are prone to exageration :lol:
CAROL

Watch it!!!!! :evil:

Nigel :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
My heart age is, according to Flora's calculations, 20 years more than my actual age, as is the case of many people on this forum who have done the test. Is this to make you eat Flora? How come there is no question asking you if you eat Flora? Shows it doesn't make any difference if you do then :shock:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Having nothing better to do ( :D ) I did the test twice - once truthfully and once saying I didn't have diabetes. For the truthful one they added 20 years, for the un-diabetes one they added 12 meaning they think diabetes would shorten my life by 8 years :( Do you think they should have asked if I had type 1 or type 2? Or if it was well controlled or not? Or how long had I had it? Or if I ate Flora :shock: This can't be at all accurate :!: Of course we all know that, it's just a selling tool so we should just laugh about it... Depressing though :(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
daisy1 said:
Having nothing better to do ( :D ) I did the test twice - once truthfully and once saying I didn't have diabetes. For the truthful one they added 20 years, for the un-diabetes one they added 12 meaning they think diabetes would shorten my life by 8 years :(

Not looking good for you then daisy! :shock:

Seriously though, what a load of rubbish it is, the questionnaire is not comprehensive enough to give a true figure, and as you say its just a ploy to promote their cholesterol lowering product range.

Clever marketing?..............certainly yes!................a realistic prediction?............certainly no! :roll:

Nigel

Edit: It's a while since I did the Flora age test so just had a go, heart age with diabetes 14 years older. without diabetes 3 years older! :( (off to the shops now to buy some spread......not!)