What is your ideal...?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are all different - heights, weights, type 1,1.5, 2, ages, interests, ideas about what diet works...

So what do you consider to be the best diabetic management YOU can achieve?

I'll start:

• I'm not interested in weight loss (been there, done that, and the t shirt exploded)
  • I'd like an HbA1c of 5.999% because, for me, that is the optimum compromise between health benefits and enjoyable food.
  • A fun, daily dog walk approx 7,000 human steps and 70,000 doggy steps (he has short legs)
  • Helpful support from my GP and DN, rather than misinformation and obfuscation.
  • 70% cocoa solid choc on repeat prescription.
  • Daily foot massages by a Brad Pitt lookalike.

What about you?

Reactions: 6 people

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
Ha! – and again a bit Ha – Brunneria! Where would I find a Brad Pitt look-alike at my age to fondle my feet. I guess that my usual foot theurapeut will need to do the service – and lovely it is.

- Like you, I am not into weight loss, am comfortable with being slightly padded just a bit above recommended BMI. (Older women have less mortality with a slightly higher BMI, I read).

But I am constaintly aiming at keeping my HbA1C below 6% - and am daily fighting to keep it there. Trying to avoid meds as long as I can. (Not easy though).

And now with spring coming up, I will aim for more exercise (long walks)
annelise.

Reactions: 4 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Still 2 stone to go for me and then plan to stay under 12 stone for the rest of my life. Up my carb intake a little more to about 200-250g per day and get my HbA1c down to about 34 and finally of course suffer no ill effects from complications of the disease. Don't care about foot massage - a head massage now that is different.

Reactions: 6 people
K

Kat100

Hello, just like to keep my hba1c levels at 43% 6.1 I understand the old money :)

I love my green and blacks chocolate as well...70%

I do some baking at times ....low sugar ....stevia 50%
A bit of homemade cake after a walk ...

I already like my diet , I have always been a veggie ...for over 50 years now ...

I do a four mile walk at least 4 times a week , some times more .....

Yes I am happy with all of the above :)

Reactions: 7 people

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
My ideal would be to lose more weight, be able to low carb and have constantly good bs nd hba1c. I would also like to not be addicted to chocolate and to like and enjoy more food!

Reactions: 2 people

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
To carry on being able to walk as much as I want.
To lose another 3 st.
To get my hba1c around 40.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
My ideal would be to lose more weight, be able to low carb and have constantly good bs nd hba1c. I would also like to not be addicted to chocolate and to like and enjoy more food!
I used to be very hard to please with food. Since I have been starving myself for two months I now find everything I eat to be extremely delicious.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup, that'll do it!

Sorry, shouldn't laugh, but I have been there, and the simplest things start tasting like the ambrosia of the gods, don't they?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went without coffee for over a year, once. I have a teensy little sensitivity to caffeine (think bouncing off the walls at 3am to the detriment of my job, my marriage and the interior decor).

Then I thought 'hold on, I can have decaf, and cream, and agave nectar, so why am I denying myself?'

And that first cup was... words simply cannot express it.

Oh, and then there was the time I drank nothing but green smoothies for a month. They are delicious, and my blood sugar was ROCK SOLID for 4 weeks, but Oh My, the taste of that first piece of bacon... mmm!

Last edited by a moderator:

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I suppose I would like a lifestyle where low carb was an integrated part, not a "diet" I keep breaking. I would like the stable non diabetic blood sugars that I know from experience I can achieve with this - permanently. I want this to be mostly based around normal whole foods, not unusual diet foods. A regime that is slightly forgiving of an occassional departure (a la Jenny Ruhl). Where I feel unstressed about the diet / lifestyle. Incorporating regular strength training for better insulin resistance, and some regular mild cardio such as long walks.

That would suit me fine. It must happen.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
I'd like free time to get to the gym 3 times a week like I used to & an Angelina Jolie lookalike to give the foot massages to!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App