What kills your dawn phenomenon?

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dawn phenomenon is something that usually affects my blood sugars quite a lot. I find that if I exercise in the morning, I need a couple of extra units of Lispro, or I am consigned to the 10s and 11s at least. However, the last couple of nights I have shared a bottle of wine with my wife.
On waking yesterday, my blood sugars were 3.6. I had a dextrose tablet and breakfast as usual, giving my normal dose. I waited an hour and went cycling. Twenty minutes in I felt very strange. I stopped and tested my blood, and I was 1.7!
This morning I had a bit more glucose, and a bit less Lispro. Blood sugars still went down to 2.9. It seems that wine really does turn off my liver.

SO, getting round to my question now :). How do other people cope with Dawn Phenomenon, and does anyone manage to nullify it? (Very important side note, I am NOT advocating having a glass of wine each night before bed :p).

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I should also point out that each time I had a mid ride hypo, I stopped and treated with glucose, waiting for blood sugars to rise before continuing.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Luckily pumping, so am able to set a different hourly basal rate for early hours. if cycling for up to an hour I would have food as normal with no qa insulin immediately before starting.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Waking up with the woman I love & letting base instinct burn it off ... You did ask..?! ;):p

(I would advocate consent first.)

Reactions: 6 people

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Waking up with the woman I love & letting base instinct burn it off ... You did ask..?! ;):p

Lol, thanks for sharing! Plenty of health benefits with that approach, among other benefits...

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I only get dawn phenomena if I stop exercising regularly.
I went through a period recently where I was waking up with much higher levels than I'm used to . I wasn't exercising.
For just over a month I've been doing at least 5 miles a day of walking and voila, lower basal insulin needed and no rise overnight.

Reactions: 4 people

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I only get dawn phenomena if I stop exercising regularly.
I went through a period recently where I was waking up with much higher levels than I'm used to . I wasn't exercising.
For just over a month I've been doing at least 5 miles a day of walking and voila, lower basal insulin needed and no rise overnight.
You seem to be similar to me. I am finding the following trend:
No exercise = mid sleep Lispro required
Exercise = no mid sleep Lispro required
Exercise + Alcohol = Mid sleep glucose required

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats

O Shucks, I thought Masturbation was good for you :eek:

To good an opportunity to miss !;)

Reactions: 3 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You seem to be similar to me. I am finding the following trend:
No exercise = mid sleep Lispro required
Exercise = no mid sleep Lispro required
Exercise + Alcohol = Mid sleep glucose required

1.No Rock & roll + drugs = sex
2.Rock & roll + drugs = no sex
3.Rock & roll + alcohol + drugs = blood sugars by morning 4.5 to 5.5

R&R = exercise
Drugs actually = Lantus
Sex can happen before drugs. See number two.. I which case can cause night hypo.
I never do rock & roll in the morning... ;)